Missed embarkation pick up ship?

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

We want to book our next years August trip only the cruise we want docks in Aruba and sails pt. carnival on August 10th.  My husband has a corporate mid year reorganization conference that he must attend on august 5-9 in NY and the company has him flying standby (I probably go with him so ensure we get on the cruise together).  Question, if he does not make the flight to Pt. Canaveral is he allowed to catch the ship on the first port of call which happens to be in Aruba on the fourth day of the cruise?

Has anybody missed their embarkation and flown to a port to catch their cruise?  If so, any suggestions/advice you can give us?  This is the only sailing that goes to the ABC islands in August, 2024.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

We want to book our next years August trip only the cruise we want docks in Aruba and sails pt. carnival on August 10th.  My husband has a corporate mid year reorganization conference that he must attend on august 5-9 in NY and the company has him flying standby (I probably go with him so ensure we get on the cruise together).  Question, if he does not make the flight to Pt. Canaveral is he allowed to catch the ship on the first port of call which happens to be in Aruba on the fourth day of the cruise?

Has anybody missed their embarkation and flown to a port to catch their cruise?  If so, any suggestions/advice you can give us?  This is the only sailing that goes to the ABC islands in August, 2024.

Thank you.

What kind of company requires him to fly "standby" to attend a corporate conference that he must be at?

I work in the airline industry. There is no way to buy a "standby" ticket. The only "standby" passengers these days are nonrevenue airline employees trying to get from A to B, those flying on "buddy passes" of airline employees and revenue passengers that have been bumped from or otherwise missed earlier flights due to delays or cancellations. If this is an airline conference and he does work for the airline, shame on them for not providing a positive space ticket for a conference that he is required to attend. 

As for catching the cruise on day 4, if I were in your position, I just wouldn't book it during that week. It's too much hassle trying to get to Aruba, especially if you are flying "standby", as there is no guarantee you would make it. Also, it's a huge waste of money at that point missing half your cruise. It's not like you get a discount or half off the fare by missing half the cruise. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balcony bound said:

It would be so much cheaper to book your own flight from NY that would guarantee you made it to your embarkation in Port Canaveral than to Aruba.  Is there a reason this is not an option?

He has to fly american and the first flight out of NY to Miami gets him in at 2:50pm not enough time to get to the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stobe1 said:

What kind of company requires him to fly "standby" to attend a corporate conference that he must be at?

I work in the airline industry. There is no way to buy a "standby" ticket. The only "standby" passengers these days are nonrevenue airline employees trying to get from A to B, those flying on "buddy passes" of airline employees and revenue passengers that have been bumped from or otherwise missed earlier flights due to delays or cancellations. If this is an airline conference and he does work for the airline, shame on them for not providing a positive space ticket for a conference that he is required to attend. 

As for catching the cruise on day 4, if I were in your position, I just wouldn't book it during that week. It's too much hassle trying to get to Aruba, especially if you are flying "standby", as there is no guarantee you would make it. Also, it's a huge waste of money at that point missing half your cruise. It's not like you get a discount or half off the fare by missing half the cruise. 

Stand by flight due to not taking the private charter flight the company has him on.

We really want to go to Bonaire and Curacao, we just got back from Aruba as we go twice a year there but want to see the other islands and there are only three cruises that go there, two in July which we prefer not to go as there are more children on ships in July, then there is this one August cruise which is the last to cruise to the ABC islands.  We don't mind paying for the entire cruise and missing 3 nights, we have no choice anyways.  We can travel to miami on boarding day which we will not make the cruise as the flights arrive around 3pm and not enough time to get to the ship, we can jump a plane easily to Aruba from Miami and pick up the ship in Aruba.  It is a 8 night cruise so picking it up in Aruba we remain to have 5 nights on the ship.  

We are booked on another Celebrity cruise this October and got off another Celebrity in March, we are avid cruisers so its ok to miss some days on this particular cruise.  We don't mind paying and missing days, its our only choice.  

7 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Intentionally due to needing to be at corporate mid year re-org conference.

Reason is moot.

Basically, what is happening here is YOU are taking a cruise from Port Canaveral and doing a 7 or 8 day closed loop cruise. While your husband is going to do a 3 or 4 days open loop cruise from Aruba to Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Stand by flight due to not taking the private charter flight the company has him on.

We really want to go to Bonaire and Curacao, we just got back from Aruba as we go twice a year there but want to see the other islands and there are only three cruises that go there, two in July which we prefer not to go as there are more children on ships in July, then there is this one August cruise which is the last to cruise to the ABC islands.  We don't mind paying for the entire cruise and missing 3 nights, we have no choice anyways.  We can travel to miami on boarding day which we will not make the cruise as the flights arrive around 3pm and not enough time to get to the ship, we can jump a plane easily to Aruba from Miami and pick up the ship in Aruba.  It is a 8 night cruise so picking it up in Aruba we remain to have 5 nights on the ship.  

We are booked on another Celebrity cruise this October and got off another Celebrity in March, we are avid cruisers so its ok to miss some days on this particular cruise.  We don't mind paying and missing days, its our only choice.  

Your posts arent making sense to me. How would he know that he can't make a private charter flight that is still a year away? Even if he did know, it still does not add up to why he would have to fly standby (which, again, he cannot do unless he is using a "buddy pass". You cant just call up an airline reservation 1-800 number or walk into the airport and tell them you want to buy a standby ticket). If his company can afford a private charter flight, surely they can buy him a regular ticket with a confimed seat on an airline.

Also, being a year out, I would not rely on airline schedules as you see them today. Airlines don't release their schedules this far out so just because you see an American Airlines flight today from NYC to MIA that arrives at 3pm, doesnt mean that flight will exist a year from now in August. Airlines typically release "placeholder" schedules 6 months out, then firm up the finalized schedule about 90 days in advance. Which is why you see so many posts here on Cruise Critic about people's flight itineraries changing a few months before their cruises.

But, going against what I said about schedules not being reliable beyond 90 days, taking a snapshot of AA's schedule for tomorrow from both JFK and LGA, there are numerous flights that get in before 3pm. Several arrive early in the morning...so not too sure what it is you are basing this whole premise on.

Screenshot_20230906_122246_American Airlines.jpg

Screenshot_20230906_122421_American Airlines.jpg

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know royal hasnt been allowing this, I'm surprised carnival allows you to join mid cruise for a fee. I know carnival has to pay and passes it onto the passenger pre covid. Since covid I thought this was rarely allowed.

I would call carnival. Or write guest services.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Your posts arent making sense to me. How would he know that he can't make a private charter flight that is still a year away? Even if he did know, it still does not add up to why he would have to fly standby (which, again, he cannot do unless he is using a "buddy pass". You cant just call up an airline reservation 1-800 number or walk into the airport and tell them you want to buy a standby ticket). If his company can afford a private charter flight, surely they can buy him a regular ticket with a confimed seat on an airline.

Also, being a year out, I would not rely on airline schedules as you see them today. Airlines don't release their schedules this far out so just because you see an American Airlines flight today from NYC to MIA that arrives at 3pm, doesnt mean that flight will exist a year from now in August. Airlines typically release "placeholder" schedules 6 months out, then firm up the finalized schedule about 90 days in advance. Which is why you see so many posts here on Cruise Critic about people's flight itineraries changing a few months before their cruises.

But, going against what I said about schedules not being reliable beyond 90 days, taking a snapshot of AA's schedule for tomorrow from both JFK and LGA, there are numerous flights that get in before 3pm. Several arrive early in the morning...so not too sure what it is you are basing this whole premise on.

Screenshot_20230906_122246_American Airlines.jpg

Screenshot_20230906_122421_American Airlines.jpg

Its ok, Carnival will not work with us and the Jones Act does not apply to what we want to do.  Yes, those dates are correct for 2023 but I am talking about 2024.

19 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Its ok, Carnival will not work with us and the Jones Act does not apply to what we want to do.  Yes, those dates are correct for 2023 but I am talking about 2024.

I think that was the point.

What does the Jones Act have to do with anything?

• Like 1

So was I. That was the whole point, which I think you missed. You can't rely on airline schedules a year out. They are barely reliable at 90 days out, which is when they firm up the schedules.  There will be a flight(s) in the schedule that gets in before 3pm. I guarantee it. It may be those I listed, it may be tweaked by a few minutes either way. Some flights may be dropped out of the schedule completely. Some may be added in. My point is you can't plan a flight a year out.

And just because a flight runs today, does not mean it will run tomorrow. Some flights run once a week, some a few times a week. Mondays and Fridays airlines will typically add in additional frequencies in the morning and evening between major city pairs to accomodate business travellers. NYC-MIA/FLL is highly competitive so there will be plenty of options for you on any given day. Guaranteed. Several dozens of flights between JFK/LGA/EWR and MIA/FLL on United, AA, Delta, JetBlue, etc operate every day, 7 days a week... There will be no lack of choices I can guarantee.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Carnival won't "work with you"?  It isn't a matter that just involves Carnival.  It involves changing the entire designation of the cruise from "closed loop" to "open loop" since the guest manifests will not match, creating additional paperwork.  Aruba authorities require an E/D card for entry and then they need to process you out of their country.  It is a big deal.  

• Like 2

What time will your husband's conference end on the 9th? Surely there's a late flight out of one of the NY airports that would get into Orlando that evening. I don't understand the "has to fly American" comment either. Why? If the cruise is that important, book your own flights on whatever airline is available. 🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

What time will your husband's conference end on the 9th? Surely there's a late flight out of one of the NY airports that would get into Orlando that evening. I don't understand the "has to fly American" comment either. Why? If the cruise is that important, book your own flights on whatever airline is available. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed.  Most of us pay for our transportation to the ports.  

If you already know carnival wouldnt work with you then its settled, you cannot do this on a carnival cruise. The end. Stop. Find another way. 

This cant be done if carnival said they wouldnt work with you. Why post here? You got your answer from carnival. 

• Like 3

I am at a loss to try to understand why someone would make the cruising experience so difficult, and so overwhelming, and then seek assistance regarding an issue where there is no answer!

This is a spinning hamster wheel issue which will never be resolved unless you get off the wheel.

Just book another cruise somewhere else on a different date! 

There is plenty to see in the world!  You can always fly to your islands some other time and enjoy them then.

And yes, flights will change constantly even up to a few days before departure, because that is the way the airline industry works! I 100% agree you cannot plan flight schedules today for next year. 

Hopefully your husband will try to give some level of meaningful participation to his business meeting (says the boss in me), rather than focus so much on this almost-vacation.

• Like 5

I have no advice but since I’m bored I’ll throw in my 2 cents lol. This is ME, of course. If you’re really

intent on cruising to B and C book the July cruise. Yes, there will Most likely be more kids, but if you’re willing to go through all that hassle to get to the ship in Aruba in order to go to B and C (and yes, it sounds like a major hassle!) then you can handle more kids on the cruise. And what if you go through “all this” and cruise to B and C and it RAINS! 😡😢  If your heart is set on B and C, do the July cruise or take a land vacation there. Again, that’s just MY OPINION. But-my bff is a captain with United. Just 5 minutes ago I let him read this post-he said you CANNOT DEPEND  on an airline schedule a year out for such a close call with so many variables.  Schedules would most likely stay BUT you never know. I live in NE NJ in close proximity to Newark, JFK and LaGuardia. Chances for bad weather conditions popping up in the summer are high.   Good luck to you! 🤞🍀

• Like 1