Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

Not that many years ago we would do a 14 night Caribbean cruise in January on Celebrity and then spend the month of February in a hotel in Mexico. Now Celebrity only does 10 to 12 night Caribbean cruises and charges 3 to 4 times what they used to charge for their 14 night cruises. Needless to say it has us leaning to only doing land based vacations after Christmas. We have also done a number of Celebrity European cruise in the fall. In fact, we have a TA booked on the Ascent in October 2024 (our first TA) so we haven’t given up cruising totally but we are very close to doing so given the better value of a land based vacation in our minds. But who knows, if we fall in love with the time spent in Spain prior to our TA cruise as well as the TA cruise itself, we may get hooked on TA cruise vacations. Time will tell. All that being said, we don’t have any complaints with Celebrity other than their pricing. I will even eat the mashed potatoes in the MDR even if they’re instant mashed potatoes and still be happy. 

For the first time since 2007 we will be taking a cruise other than Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  We will be sailing in the Yacht Club on MSC in February 2024.  We will still be doing our Millennium sailing in May of 2024 but that could very well be our last Celebrity cruise.  We no longer see Celebrity as the value it once was as a result of the price increases and reduction deuteriation in quality and services. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I couldn't care less if someone doesn't want to sail with a lot of elderly people.  Or if they don't want to sail with a bunch of babies and young kids.  But describing people in derogatory terms doesn't sit well with me.  I guess if you want to call yourself a coffin-dodger that's your right.  Just don't use the term for others.  If you are a so-called "coffin-dodger" then you were brought up like I was back when we were taught manners.

I'm from the generation that rebelled against being lectured to by people who thought they knew better.

To not go looking everywhere for offence and be disappointed when others don't.

Before the term woke was ever invented ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Just curious what cruises you have done a price comparison on lately?  On my last comparison Celebrity was 1 or 2k above the competition.  If they were better,  perhaps we would spring for it.  But with mashed potatoes in the dining room it is a tough sell to say that they are better...

Celebrity v HAL. We have three Celebrity cruises booked, two in Dec, one in March; one Hal cruise in Nov and one in Mar; all standard Verandah cabins, all Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale, basically same size ships and Celebrity cheaper.

2 hours ago, odysee said:

For first time since 2009 we have booked with another cruiseline.  Celebrity, even with Elite+ status does not tick the (our) boxes anymore.

I took a princess cruise in January of this year as well as one last month with RCI as I promised my grandson a fun cruise. Also booked the Silhouette for November as the price for a balcony cabin was quite reasonable and I received $650 onboard credit. A few days ago I called and spoke to an agent who said he could upgrade me to a C2 category at no additional cost. Long story short he messed up my booking so badly said I would lose $400 obc

So I asked to be transferred to resolutions who apologized profusely and offered me an additional $200 to stay in my original cabin. All worked out im the end but never again will I get a phone agent make changes for me. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, goofysmom99 said:

Every cruise line handles GF well in their dining rooms, giving you a menu the night before.  Enjoying a hot breakfast in my cabin is something I look forward to when I cruise.  One of the things X does very well (and I don't) is poached eggs.  I can write-in two slices of GF toast, poached eggs (write-in to not put them onto the toast), a breakfast meat, and ask for hollandaise on the side.  Then I assemble my jury-rigged version of GF eggs benedict for breakfast on my balcony.  While I don't do that every day, I do order something hot every morning.  It's my cruise indulgence.  Being able to have GF hot breakfast from room service will make/break my cruise line choice.  Although I'm not charged for this on X, even if I were, I'd still order it.  And that, among other things, is what I'm busy researching on other cruise lines.  (Not available on Princess.)   

Not sure if you are looking at MSC YC. I found out yesterday the dedicated gluten free kitchen is in the MDR kitchen.  All gf food in YC is brought up from that kitchen and it is not the same quality as YC food.  They can do steaks in YC but cannot promise no cross contamination.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Celebrity v HAL. We have three Celebrity cruises booked, two in Dec, one in March; one Hal cruise in Nov and one in Mar; all standard Verandah cabins, all Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale, basically same size ships and Celebrity cheaper.

X cheaper than HAL would really surprise me...if it isn't too much trouble, could you please give additional specifics (actual dates, ships, itineraries).

Those would be valuable data points.

Thank you,

Trout

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

I'm from the generation that rebelled against being lectured to by people who thought they knew better.

To not go looking everywhere for offence and be disappointed when others don't.

Before the term woke was ever invented ...

Ah, the one that discarded politeness and blames insulted people for being offended.

This thread degraded from X vs Others, to a bunch of keyboard warriors popping off at each other. One of the biggest detriments to the Internet age, everyone's either an expert, or a mouth. Back when you had to look someone in the eye when you gave the verbal smack down, it was a different world! 🙂

The entertainment value is peaking though!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Ah, the one that discarded politeness and blames insulted people for being offended.

If you mean being too easily offended and in a hurry to let everyone know about it then guilty as charged.

But rather than pursuing this point and running the risk of offending you even more I'll knock this one on the head.

I'm sure you'll soon find something else ...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trout62 said:

X cheaper than HAL would really surprise me...if it isn't too much trouble, could you please give additional specifics (actual dates, ships, itineraries).

Those would be valuable data points.

Thank you,

Trout

You ask, I deliver. All cabin are Verandah on Decks 7 & 8 on Celebrity and Decks 6 & 7 on HAL plus all drinks classic package.

11/08/23: Eurodam, ABC islands, 10 days, $235 per day, $50 cabin credit all inclusive except tips plus one shore excursion and speciality dinner

12/03/23: Reflection, Caribbean, 6 days, $168 per day, $650 cabin credit, all inclusive

12/09/23: Reflection, ABC islands, 8 days, $167 per day, $350 cabin credit, all inclusive

03/16/24: Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, $195 per day, $350 cabin credit, all inclusive

03/24/24: Nieuw Statendam, Eastern Caribbean, $272 per day, $275 cabin credit, all inclusive except no tips and one dinner and one shore exclusion.

Edited by RedneckBob

I did not enjoy my last few Celebrity Cruises.  I do enjoy the nonsmoking but not enough to put me off from trying others. I am elite and will never make elite plus. I do not sail in suites so comparing MSC Yacht club and premium lines do me no good. I am looking at longer and more interesting ports and have a whopping 129 days booked on Holland America for 2024 and 2025 with Grand Voyages.  Happy sailing. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

Now I'll step aside while 5 people tell me their Seabourn cruise is cheaper than an inside on Celebirty 🤣

Hi Jeremiah,

Seabourn will never be cheaper than an inside on Celebrity or an inside on any other mainstream cruise line. But for the folks that wish to sail in suites they are in many many cases 

😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I just booked our first HAL cruise to Alaska. The difference in price was ridiculous, and I  booked with the Have it All promotion, which actually gives all. Premium drinks, Elite Wi fi , gratuities, $100.00 pp shore excursion credit.

HAL also goes to Glacier Bay, and RCCL lines are not allowed there.

• Like 2

Celebrity used to be my first look and preferred line. After a very substandard cruise in Summit back in 2018 I started looking more at Princess and HAL first and Celebrity last. After all the recent changes to pricing models I no longer look at Celebrity at all. Sad, as they build beautiful ships that suit my cruising personality.  

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

Cruise lines should be on the alert for cruise passengers NOT cruising.

I have cruised since 1989. Going forward, I have 0 cruises booked, but 5 land based voyages, all with some customized car/driver/guide features.

I am leery of cruise lines given their constant downgrading of their product and increased cost - so - I am expanding my travel perspective.

I know, the cruise lines state all is great, fully booked etc - well I am not required to believe them.

As prices rise, consumers undertake more analysis and can end up with purchase decisions that are different than in the past.

There is a world of travel options out there, outside cruises.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

You ask, I deliver. All cabin are Verandah on Decks 7 & 8 on Celebrity and Decks 6 & 7 on HAL plus all drinks classic package.

11/08/23: Eurodam, ABC islands, 10 days, $235 per day, $50 cabin credit all inclusive except tips plus one shore excursion and speciality dinner

12/03/23: Reflection, Caribbean, 6 days, $168 per day, $650 cabin credit, all inclusive

12/09/23: Reflection, ABC islands, 8 days, $167 per day, $350 cabin credit, all inclusive

03/16/24: Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, $195 per day, $350 cabin credit, all inclusive

03/24/24: Nieuw Statendam, Eastern Caribbean, $272 per day, $275 cabin credit, all inclusive except no tips and one dinner and one shore exclusion.

That is very interesting.  As someone else mentioned, it looks like a lot of the recent pricing changes are aimed at Retreat guests.

For example, today a January '24 Nieuw Statendam Corner Aft Neptune suite is ~7.5K / couple / week...almost exactly what it would have been if you had booked that week a year ago.

However, last January if you booked a Signature Suite on Ascent for January '24 it was 8K / couple / week.  Now that week will cost you 12K / couple / week.

Thanks for the data,

Trout

1 minute ago, trout62 said:

That is very interesting.  As someone else mentioned, it looks like a lot of the recent pricing changes are aimed at Retreat guests.

For example, today a January '24 Nieuw Statendam Corner Aft Neptune suite is ~7.5K / couple / week...almost exactly what it would have been if you had booked that week a year ago.

However, last January if you booked a Signature Suite on Ascent for January '24 it was 8K / couple / week.  Now that week will cost you 12K / couple / week.

Thanks for the data,

Trout

I guess suites have gone up in price. We usually book Verandahs which doesn’t mean we are not Suite people. 😀

On 9/15/2023 at 6:13 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I couldn't care less if someone doesn't want to sail with a lot of elderly people.  Or if they don't want to sail with a bunch of babies and young kids.  But describing people in derogatory terms doesn't sit well with me.  I guess if you want to call yourself a coffin-dodger that's your right.  Just don't use the term for others.  If you are a so-called "coffin-dodger" then you were brought up like I was back when we were taught manners.

agree with you.   I did not like the word describing people and responded    Seems my post has been removed

• Thanks 1