Celebrity Now Charging for Eden Cafe "Premium" Sandwiches

Cap_D

Aloha. There is no doubt lobster anywhere in Maine is phenomenal as I have been blessed to travel there regularly over the years and have friends who live there. That said, in Manhattan where we divide our time and where I was born and raised, a lobster roll is now about $35. Generally I will buy fresh lobsters and make my own during the summer months but we do enjoy dining in a restaurant weekly. I have never ordered it on a ship and why I do not know.  Keeping with the post one thing I am in favor of is charging to reserve some deck chairs in various locations around the ship. It will bring income and maybe hopefully reduce chair hogging. It was done years ago. Thoughts?

• Like 1

We enjoy Eden Cafe for both breakfast and lunch several times a week when on Apex.  Upcharge for either lobster is not something I would do.  The sandwich and soup choices w/o an upcharge are wonderful.  Also we live in New England so getting a lobster salad sandwich on a cruise would be hard to beat.  We did just go to Martha's Vineyard this spring on the Summit and on a ship tour we stopped at a local fish market and had a fabulous hot lobster roll.  Worth the cost($20)!

We do dine once or twice a week at specialty restaurants so I guess that is an upcharge.  However, it is good for a change in menu and dining experience.

• Like 1

Is the prime rib sandwich hot or just the cold stuff they couldn't unload in the MDR the night before ?

In the UK it's called a roast beef sandwich and certainly wouldn't be considered high end grub.

Nice with a bit of horseradish sauce or hot English mustard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not sure what the reduction of the dining room dinner menus have to do with adding options to lunch in the cafe.

Many posts have noted a decline of dining in general on Celebrity.  Cheaper ingredients, etc.

For myself I will be in Sushi on sea days for lunch.  The MDR lunch menu meh...  The crowds ...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

In the UK it's called a roast beef sandwich and certainly wouldn't be considered high end grub.

CC'ers lost their wits when they thought that giant plate of tepid rubbery fatty meat served with a big glob of even more fat was being eliminated. Some even claimed it was the reason a new CEO stepped in. 

The old menu just had a hot 'daily carved meat' selection that rotated. The rueben is missing off the Handhelds menu. I'm curious to see how similar the premium Spaniard Bocata is to the ham sandwich served in Le Grand Bistro. The tuna salad sandwich would also be duplicated.

It almost seems as though the walk up deli sandwiches at Le Grand Bistro may be replaced by the Eden Cafe premium options.  Every time we've grabbed them for lunch no one knew it was an option. 

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Every time we've grabbed them for lunch no one knew it was an option. 

Happened to me on Apex in 2021   No clue there was a lunch option in Eden.  Figured it out when I was on Beyond the following year..

35 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

These are new "premium" options.  Everything that was previously "free" in Eden cafe is still "free."

RELAX

For now, sure, but what about tomorrow?  In the future, is X more likely to ADD additional free menu items or CUTBACK existing ones?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Happened to me on Apex in 2021   No clue there was a lunch option in Eden.  Figured it out when I was on Beyond the following year..

Typically only open for lunch on sea days for 1.5 hours.  Easy to miss generally, and closed for most of any cruise.

And, charging for food slows the line, and is the opposite of wowing.

As for charging generally, at over 1k a day in Retreat, the options should be available at Luminae (also only open for lunch on sea days) or included.  The incremental revenue can not be much for something that is almost always closed (or goes unpurchased).  Also, questionable how premium any of these items are....

Keep an eye on Eden Cafe cookies, which have been different and viewed as better by many.  But, also only available for a small amount of time.  

Just now, Tyler414 said:

No clue, I'm not all knowing, and my time machine is broke.

Easy.  The perception is cutbacks, throttling options and access, etc.   Nothing material or yummy (subjective, but would have applied to a free hot cookie) has been added.   No announcements about anything positive, fun, creative or interesting.  No standouts among included food.

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For now, sure, but what about tomorrow?  In the future, is X more likely to ADD additional free menu items or CUTBACK existing ones?

All joking aside, the cruise companies and many other companies have gone through a lot of changes in the last three years.  I will be going on and enjoying my third E-class cruise in March 2024.  I'm sure I will love it, there may be many changes since my first E-class Apex 2021 cruise, but all in all I will most likely love my vacation..

• Like 5

14 hours ago, miched said:

Things that they may start charging for 

Seats for shows in the theater 

Early entrance to the OVC ( slugfest on 14 ) 

4th shrimp cocktail 

Photo with the Captain 

email address of an Executive who " cares and will do something about it "

In addition :

ANYONE posting a 2 positive comments on the same day receives a Complimentary cruise for 10 on the ship of their choice.

ANYONE posting 5 complaints on the same day receives a Complimentary cruise for 1 on the ship of their choice---- Food not included to ensure enjoyment.

As long as people keep throwing their money at them, it’ll only get worse. Turn off the money flow and you would be amazed how fast things would change. If you keep on feeding the pot, at least stop complaining, if you’re paying attention, it does absolutely no good but cause animosity on these boards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Exactly..

it is fine as is..great soups salads,  sandwich choices...fresh bread and yummy  desserts..Just another cash grab!  Casual area with limited seating in and outside. We would not pay extra!

there's already an upcharge take away lunch option at the Bistro Cafe..great sammies on great bread! maybe they can add the lobster rolls there

8 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. There is no doubt lobster anywhere in Maine is phenomenal as I have been blessed to travel there regularly over the years and have friends who live there. That said, in Manhattan where we divide our time and where I was born and raised, a lobster roll is now about $35. Generally I will buy fresh lobsters and make my own during the summer months but we do enjoy dining in a restaurant weekly. I have never ordered it on a ship and why I do not know.  Keeping with the post one thing I am in favor of is charging to reserve some deck chairs in various locations around the ship. It will bring income and maybe hopefully reduce chair hogging. It was done years ago. Thoughts?

No support here for that idea..first come first served.. Remove chair hog belongings after the allowed time.

I am opposed to the present culture  of.. " if  I pay  I can skip the line,  have something better or  upgraded on cruises..  "    and in general.

Cruising was previously  a fairly all inclusive vacation!

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

No support here for that idea..first come first served.. Remove chair hog belongings after the allowed time.

I am opposed to the present culture  of.. " if  I pay  I can skip the line,  have something better or  upgraded on cruises..  "    and in general.

Cruising was previously  a fairly all inclusive vacation!

Aloha. I respect your position the only problem unfortunately is that the cruise lines rarely if ever remove the belongings. I agree with your premise but as I said unfortunately I am cynical as believe it will never happen the way it should.

14 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I respect your position the only problem unfortunately is that the cruise lines rarely if ever remove the belongings. I agree with your premise but as I said unfortunately I am cynical as believe it will never happen the way it should.

Aloha.

With that I whole  heartedly  agree.. 

The pool staff is afraid of complaints...but security should do the job not  pool staff. 

At our place in Fl  they replaced the monitors with security staff....much better results to discourage trespass, vandalism and  dangerous behavior!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Keeping with the post one thing I am in favor of is charging to reserve some deck chairs in various locations around the ship. It will bring income and maybe hopefully reduce chair hogging. It was done years ago. Thoughts?

Chair hogging belongings should be removed by the crew.  I don't see the value in charging passengers to ensure the crew enforces the policy by removing items from unattended chairs and doing their job.  There is already a charge for the enclave, although they are positioned away from the pool on most ships.