THESE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING

Spif Barwunkel

Decided to take a look at the past in order to glean insight into the future. The following are threads on the Celebrity Forum from April 2004.

- What is it About The "Lobsta" Tails??? -  page 6235

- Putting Tips on Your Cabin Account - page 6236

- Food On Galaxy/Celebrity in General - page 6236

- Rough Waters to Bermuda vs Eastern Caribbean - page 6237***

- Is The Century Going to be Stretched? - page 6238 

- Recent Zenith Sickness - page 6244

- Lobster on a 14 Night Cruise - page 6245

- Butlers??? - page 6248

Twenty-three years later and the only changes to yesteryears questions is the higher number of responses, with greater hostility in some cases. Obviously today, 

many more folks are willing to express their thoughts and opinions. Oh, my goodness, the problems we have had both then and now. 

***One of my favorites, for the absurdity of the topic and the responses to it.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
wording
  • Like 6

In 2004, I had never even heard of Celebrity.  DH and I were just married and took a short cruise together on Carnival Fantasy.  If I had known about Cruise Critic in 2004 I might have been inclined to start a topic entitled Is it weird that a ship called Fantasy has a topless deck?

As it turns out, DH and I (along with my top) spent quite a bit of time up there because it was the only quiet place on the pool deck!  He pointed out that it's usually only those who need a top who elect not to wear one.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

In 2004, I had never even heard of Celebrity.  DH and I were just married and took a short cruise together on Carnival Fantasy.  If I had known about Cruise Critic in 2004 I might have been inclined to start a topic entitled Is it weird that a ship called Fantasy has a topless deck?

As it turns out, DH and I (along with my top) spent quite a bit of time up there because it was the only quiet place on the pool deck!  He pointed out that it's usually only those who need a top who elect not to wear one.

I remember when Celebrity had topless decks!  I don't recall ever seeing anyone using them as such, but they were there.

• Like 2

We were on Connie in 2012.  I saw one lady (Canadian) partake.  Fast forward to Oceania 2023...

it's little known fact that topless is allowed on the forward sundeck outside the spa.  You need a suite card key to get in.  This was on Riviera.  

We were on the Galaxy in Europe and the regular pool had lots of European women who were sans tops, which my wife kept pointing out!!

There were many Celebrity cruises in the 90s, Mercury, Horizon, Century….

Hal

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I remember when Celebrity had topless decks!  I don't recall ever seeing anyone using them as such, but they were there.

I remember that too. On M-class, it’s where the Retreat Sundeck is now IIRC. 

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I go topless on every one of our cruises while enjoying the sun and my BP on a sea day afternoon. If the weather is good on our October Eclipse cruise you just might see me. 😉

Edited by doghog

In 2014 we were on the Paul Gauguin cruise of French Polynesia, and there was a “cockney” British couple onboard. But when the woman put on her two piece, the bottoms were faded but the tops looked like brand new. Of course I asked why. She replied that only in the company of people from the USA did she feel the need to wear the top.  Now I was an old man even then, and we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so none of this mattered to me. But it did make me think: why can men go topless but women can’t in the USA? I still don’t know the answer.

• Haha 3

To be honest most European women are happy to whip their stuff out at the drop of a hat and have been for about 50 years.

Even though Mrs Baggy's have been heading south now for a while the old girl still enjoys getting them out for a bit of an airing when we head south.

In fact most places usually have a nude beach tucked away over the rocks etc which can be a bit of a bind getting to when you're carrying a camping chair, a flask of tea and some sandwiches alongside your military-grade binoculars...

Edited by Baggy178
  • Haha 3

Here are a couple of oldies but goodies, from 2006 page 5500. I'll not risk further ridicule and embarrassment by attempting to calculate how many years ago that was.

- "Celebrity captain arrested for intoxication".

- "Trans canal question". 

You wonder, could one have affected the other. Kind of like allowing the passengers to walk among the locks. 

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

But it did make me think: why can men go topless but women can’t in the USA? I still don’t know the answer.

Because regardless of whether it is legal or not you may still be harassed or arrested by the police. Places like NYC and South Beach in Miami women may go topless, as there have been enough court rulings that they pretty much no longer harass you. Same with New Orleans during Mardi Gras, but not sure about other times. There are a few circuit court rulings upholding the ability to ban toplessness by women in the US, and so far the Supreme court has passed on taking on a case that would settle the constitutional right of women to be topless wherever men are allowed to be on a nationwide level. But there is hope. To para-phrase a famous quote, the US, after trying everything else, eventually does the right thing. 

19 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

RCL had 'em too.

Here from 2014 on Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico in 2014:

image.png.b475134154ea162ad239adb9ad3ffb9a.png

20 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Made me laugh as we were the same, new to cruising and went on Carnival out of Galveston, same experience and said we would never cruise again and actually didn't for many years, then was told we had to try the better lines, did and was hooked ever since. 

23 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Because regardless of whether it is legal or not you may still be harassed or arrested by the police. Places like NYC and South Beach in Miami women may go topless, as there have been enough court rulings that they pretty much no longer harass you. Same with New Orleans during Mardi Gras, but not sure about other times. There are a few circuit court rulings upholding the ability to ban toplessness by women in the US, and so far the Supreme court has passed on taking on a case that would settle the constitutional right of women to be topless wherever men are allowed to be on a nationwide level. But there is hope. To para-phrase a famous quote, the US, after trying everything else, eventually does the right thing. 

The right to go topless is a subject that has come up on my breast cancer board.  It often involves women that have opted for bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction being hassled by others when they go topless.

The laws are not about going topless, but about indecent exposure which is defined as the breast areolae being exposed. This is not an issue for unreconstructed women or those who have not had the areolae imitated by a tattooed skin graft and skin twist for the nipple. However, you would be surprised by those whose knickers are in a twist about any women exposing their chest area.