Princess Plus Questions

The Admiral

We are looking to return to princess after many years since our last cruise with them and have two questions about the Princess Plus upgrade I’m hoping recent cruisers can help me with:

1) what is the “Premium Deserts” you get with the package?

2) what are the “2 casual meals”

Can’t find an explanation of what these benefits are? Thanks :-)

Premium Desserts-you have a choice of 2.  There is cake at the International Cafe or Ice Cream up on the Lido deck.  

Casual Meals depends on the ship. Alfredo's, Gigi's, Salty Dog Gastro Pub, Vines (really more like appetizers) or a bunch more on the new ships like the Sun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

princess-premium-desserts-menu-1-.jpeg

My personal opinion is they are ice cream glop and there is no way I can possibly imagine being able to eat two of them per day; but again, that is just MY personal opinion.  

This link talks about the casual dining options Casual Dining Guide for Princess Cruises (including updated menus) – Brits On A Ship

Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

princess-premium-desserts-menu-1-.jpeg

My personal opinion is they are ice cream glop and there is no way I can possibly imagine being able to eat two of them per day; but again, that is just MY personal opinion.  

This link talks about the casual dining options Casual Dining Guide for Princess Cruises (including updated menus) – Brits On A Ship

Hope this helps.

I indulge in the occasional dessert, but this is not it!  Not worth all the calories and probably tastes as bad as it looks.  Now, cheesecake, that’s a whole different story…bring it on!

• Like 5

Just saw this information when reading on one of the links above:

“One of the most upsetting changes for many who normally book “Princess Standard” is that Princess’s wildly popular sit-down pizza restaurants (called “Alfredo’s” on some ships and “Gigi’s” on others) will no longer be included at no extra charge. “Princess Plus” guests will also pay to eat at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s after their first two included “causal dining” meals.”

Pizza is free on NCL, RCL, Carnival, MSC and most others, if the above is true and you’re going to have to pay $14.99 every time you want to have a pizza (or after two free visits unless you buy an expensive mark up package) which in our case is often, it’s making me second guess my recent booking to see if we come back to regularly cruising princess.

this decision is nuts, I agree if it’s a specialized Italian restaurant you charge the $14.99 but there should always be a free pizza joint area on every ship that’s a basic standard.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Pizza is free on NCL, RCL, Carnival, MSC and most others, if the above is true and you’re going to have to pay $14.99 every time you want to have a pizza (or after two free visits unless you buy an expensive mark up package) which in our case is often, it’s making me second guess my recent booking to see if we come back to regularly cruising princess.

this decision is nuts, I agree if it’s a specialized Italian restaurant you charge the $14.99 but there should always be a free pizza joint area on every ship that’s a basic standard.

Pizza is still free at the pizzeria by the grill and pool. I actually prefer it to the pizza they serve in the restaurant. It’s easy, convenient and delicious. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Just saw this information when reading on one of the links above:

“One of the most upsetting changes for many who normally book “Princess Standard” is that Princess’s wildly popular sit-down pizza restaurants (called “Alfredo’s” on some ships and “Gigi’s” on others) will no longer be included at no extra charge. “Princess Plus” guests will also pay to eat at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s after their first two included “causal dining” meals.”

Pizza is 100% included aka free at the pizzeria on deck.  No change at all. 

Alfredos/Gigis - yes, the sit down, table served casual Italian restaurant, which specializes in pizzas and a few pastas, is now at a charge. 

And RCCL - for one - took a solid dig at Princess with their "poll" about charging for Sorrento's (similar quality to the Lido deck pizza on Princess) right after Princessade their Casual dining changes - cute attempt to make them look good against a competitor.

Alfredos was $10 cover charge back in 2014, when introduced on Regal - the outcry quickly got rid of that. After 9 more years, the charge is back... go figure..

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BabySarge said:

Just give it to a friend. I'm sure there might be someone who would take it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just give it to a friend. I'm sure there might be someone who would take it. 

I intend to ask someone else in line if they would like them.  I would never eat them and if they could be enjoyed by a fellow passenger, then I’m happy to oblige.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I intend to ask someone else in line if they would like them.  I would never eat them and if they could be enjoyed by a fellow passenger, then I’m happy to oblige.

The only way I would ever eat one is just with plane gelato minus all the other junk..... and even at that, only maybe one per day. 

Since we don't get the plus, I've got nothing to worry about. 😑

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The only way I would ever eat one is just with plane gelato minus all the other junk..... and even at that, only maybe one per day. 

Since we don't get the plus, I've got nothing to worry about. 😑

Yeah, plain gelato on occasion is fine.  The rest is not for me.  I am going to attend the exercise classes if they are in the early mornings since it’s unlimited with Premier package.  My good Intentions, however, may not persuade me.  We shall see!

Unfortunately, those 'free' ice cream desserts actually have very little ice cream in them. I tried them on 2 different occasions.

There is usually some kind of cake or cookie taking up much of the bottom & a lot of cream. Not light cream like the canned kind but a very heavy cream & candies on top.

So the 3rd time I just asked for the ice cream & sauce & they obliged but I hear they do not always do that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shippy said:

Unfortunately, those 'free' ice cream desserts actually have very little ice cream in them. I tried them on 2 different occasions.

There is usually some kind of cake or cookie taking up much of the bottom & a lot of cream. Not light cream like the canned kind but a very heavy cream & candies on top.

So the 3rd time I just asked for the ice cream & sauce & they obliged but I hear they do not always do that.

Oh my goodness, sounds terrible.  I’m not a big dessert person, except for cheesecake, so I doubt if I’ll even bother.

34 minutes ago, voljeep said:

NO sharing?

Hmmm, I would think that would only apply to alcoholic beverages.  You may be right, though, knowing Princess.  I might have to get one, meet up with the lucky recipient at a preplanned meeting spot, far away from the prying eyes of the dessert police, and nonchalantly pass over the contraband after we share the secret handshake.   Should work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Hmmm, I would think that would only apply to alcoholic beverages.  You may be right, though, knowing Princess.  I might have to get one, meet up with the lucky recipient at a preplanned meeting spot, far away from the prying eyes of the dessert police, and nonchalantly pass over the contraband after we share the secret handshake.   Should work.

So you can walk up to the bar and order cokes for everyone ??

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

So you can walk up to the bar and order cokes for everyone ??

Only if I want to pay.  I should have included sodas with the booze, but I don’t remember saying I was walking up to the bar for anything for someone else.  I was just kidding about the desserts, I promise!  I would never, ever try to cheat Princess out of ice cream.  Luckily they have sharp eyed folks, such as yourself, to keep us honest.  Whoops, forgot those specialty coffees.  Maybe I could hide one under my trench coat.  lol. Smile, @memoak, it’s all in fun. 

Edited by Lady Arwen

51 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Only if I want to pay.  I should have included sodas with the booze, but I don’t remember saying I was walking up to the bar for anything for someone else.  I was just kidding about the desserts, I promise!  I would never, ever try to cheat Princess out of ice cream.  Luckily they have sharp eyed folks, such as yourself, to keep us honest.  Whoops, forgot those specialty coffees.  Maybe I could hide one under my trench coat.  lol. Smile, @memoak, it’s all in fun. 

I wouldn’t even stand in a line for one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1