Apex due in Israel tomorrow

Mark_UK

1 hour ago, golferguy3 said:

I just off the phone with Celebrity.    They told me 100% refunds are available, not 90%. Was willing to process mine at 100% now. Yes I know others got 90% from them, I just was told 100% refunds.          And of course, rebook another cruise with all fees waived.

But no additional OBC, discounts, upgrades etc.      

I also asked if excursions will be on sale as they were a few months ago, 40% off.   That's a big unknown.  They could really hit us with expensive excursions as many were on sale at 40% off and I booked a bunch then.   This time, I suspect they will use the new excursions at full fare so more $ out of pocket.     

Really!  They have no obligation to refund or issue credits for the cruise.  

If I were you I would be beyond grateful that they are offering options.

To expect OBC, discounts, upgrades, etc sounds just a bit greedy.

Every refund costs them money - cabins will sail empty but the ship still has staff to pay, fuel to pay, insurance to pay the list goes on.

For a situation that they had no more control over than you did.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, golferguy3 said:

I just off the phone with Celebrity.    They told me 100% refunds are available,

Wow!  I'm really impressed with Celebrity.  They certainly didn't have to offer a full refund.  I was expecting a FCC, but certainly not a refund.  This is the third instance in that last several days where Celebrity didn't have to do anything for the given situation, but they did anyway. 

• Helping a couple reschedule a cruise at nearly the same price after their passports were stolen
  • Switching a cruise to a different week for the same price after someone accidentally booked the wrong week
  • And now this...

The good will such things should generate is priceless.  I hope you are able to find another cruise to enjoy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Every refund costs them money - cabins will sail empty but the ship still has staff to pay, fuel to pay, insurance to pay the list goes on.

Agree every refund costs money. So they should offer OBC to entice people to suck up the new itinerary. Certainly not without precedent. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, golferguy3 said:

I have no idea as I cannot reach my travel agent today.      Email notice does not mention any FCC or refunds.    Are you on Oct 16 voyage?

As per contract, cruise line has the right to change the itinerary without any compensation.

I wonder what they do, if they have to change the starting point. Will the travel insurance pay for the cost associated with changing flights?...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  I'm really impressed with Celebrity.  They certainly didn't have to offer a full refund.  I was expecting a FCC, but certainly not a refund.  This is the third instance in that last several days where Celebrity didn't have to do anything for the given situation, but they did anyway. 

• Helping a couple reschedule a cruise at nearly the same price after their passports were stolen
  • Switching a cruise to a different week for the same price after someone accidentally booked the wrong week
  • And now this...

The good will such things should generate is priceless.  I hope you are able to find another cruise to enjoy.

Fantastic option. I know in the past they were not as accommodating. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy that X is offering the option for you to cancel aithout penalty... the war is not their fault and you should be thankful that X is doing their best to keep everyone safe in these troubling times... 

I was originally booked on the Apex but switched to a different sailing and yes lost my deposit as per my contract...  Not upset as that is what I ahd agreed to and it is not X's fault that I changed my mind/plans 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Correct they don't have an obligation but a good business leader goes above and beyond to treat customers well.  I ran a business and yes, at times, I dug into my pockets and profits to treat customers right.

Did you forget about Covid shutdowns?    Did you pay for things in advance.    Perhaps education classes, music lessons, golf lessons, dance lessons etc.?  You purchased a package.   I can't think think of anyone who didn't get their money refunded.

I don't care that they have staff to pay, fuel to pay, insurance to pay.  That's a business responsibility.  I don't have any obligation to bail them out of my pocket.  When they make excessive profits, do they share them with passengers?    NO!

BTW, please send me your address so I can send you the bill for my non-refundable International airfare to Athens.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChutChut said:

They're offering an 100% refund and you're crying about no OBC, etc. Come on, man....

generally agree!

maybe the airline will offer a credit??

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, golferguy3 said:

I just off the phone with Celebrity.    They told me 100% refunds are available, not 90%. Was willing to process mine at 100% now. Yes I know others got 90% from them, I just was told 100% refunds.          And of course, rebook another cruise with all fees waived.

But no additional OBC, discounts, upgrades etc.      

I also asked if excursions will be on sale as they were a few months ago, 40% off.   That's a big unknown.  They could really hit us with expensive excursions as many were on sale at 40% off and I booked a bunch then.   This time, I suspect they will use the new excursions at full fare so more $ out of pocket.     

Truly you got 100% back - what more do you want,when technically they were not obligated to give you anything. You chose to book non ship excursions - that one is one you.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, golferguy3 said:

Correct they don't have an obligation but a good business leader goes above and beyond to treat customers well.  I ran a business and yes, at times, I dug into my pockets and profits to treat customers right.

Did you forget about Covid shutdowns?    Did you pay for things in advance.    Perhaps education classes, music lessons, golf lessons, dance lessons etc.?  You purchased a package.   I can't think think of anyone who didn't get their money refunded.

I don't care that they have staff to pay, fuel to pay, insurance to pay.  That's a business responsibility.  I don't have any obligation to bail them out of my pocket.  When they make excessive profits, do they share them with passengers?    NO!

BTW, please send me your address so I can send you the bill for my non-refundable International airfare to Athens.  

Travel insurance perhaps? Is it Celebrity’s fault  that you booked a NRF airfare and a major war just happened to break out? How very entitled of you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

When I purchase something I know exactly what I’m buying. When I purchase non refundable airfare then I understand that there is a gamble involved. This is not on Celebrity. It’s on you. The airfare was purchased by you independently. 

@cruisingator2 thank you for stating it as it is.

42 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

SMH. If you book non refundable air who is that on? 

Most air fares allow cancel with airline keeping the entire amount for future travel on e-cert.  If the ticket is really totally lost sure hope you would have insurance.

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm not sure insurance will help here at all.  The cruise/flights are still operating so any cancellation would be at the passengers request and not a covered reason

Yes that could be an issue...air ticket will not be in/out of Israel....and cruise still going. I am not booked on this cruise but I would want a FCC for future travel given over 50% of the cruise is very very different. It is now a Greek Island cruise which     is nice if that is what you want and would be less expensive if booked that way in the first place. There are so many stories out there right now as to what Celebrity will do...good luck to all impacted..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm not sure insurance will help here at all.  The cruise/flights are still operating so any cancellation would be at the passengers request and not a covered reason

We had a cruise booked last year out of Civitavecchia on the Apex. We canceled just prior to the final payment due to the continuation of Covid and testing. United give us a travel certificate good for our full amount paid. We had until December of this year to use the certificate and it could be used in segments. No, not a cash refund which we knew not to expect but we did receive the full amount back in some form to use at a future date, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We canceled the cruise today as we’ve been to all the new ports on the itinerary. I had emailed the travel agent Sunday expressing my wish to cancel. The agency took it upon themselves to cancel Without discussing options with me first. We’re only getting 85% of the cruise fare towards a future cruise that that has to be used within a year and it will take 30 days before we can book it to get the FCC. I think it’s very interesting that most people are getting 90% future cruise credit or a total refund or an option to book another cruise within the next day or so. We were not given that option according to our travel agency even after I told her what I was reading. I think it was too late as she made a decision to cancel with penalty. 

47 minutes ago, cwaj45 said:

We canceled the cruise today as we’ve been to all the new ports on the itinerary. I had emailed the travel agent Sunday expressing my wish to cancel. The agency took it upon themselves to cancel Without discussing options with me first. We’re only getting 85% of the cruise fare towards a future cruise that that has to be used within a year and it will take 30 days before we can book it to get the FCC. I think it’s very interesting that most people are getting 90% future cruise credit or a total refund or an option to book another cruise within the next day or so. We were not given that option according to our travel agency even after I told her what I was reading. I think it was too late as she made a decision to cancel with penalty. 

That is not right....it seems since your agent is losing their commission they are taking a cut with the refund. I would verify with Celebrity what the penalty was and take it up with the agency. They are not authorized to have made that decision.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, cwaj45 said:

Am confused.  You asked your RA to cancel on Sunday.  First thing Monday they cancelled.  Later Monday the rules changed.  I am sorry.

Do offer a suggestion that you ask your TA if they would plead your case with X.

Kathy - cwaj cancelled when X was not offering anything.  However, the 85% if strange - different from what anyone else reported.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Actually no - I work hard - have always worked hard - and continue to work hard. When I make travel decisions, I make wise ones - always purchase travel insurance - and do  expect others to cover my losses because I did not make proper choices. My apologies if true facts and blatant honesty offends you - but the non refundable airfare was your choice, and you should not expect the cruise line - or anyone else - to compensate you for your own decision. And judging by the subsequent posts - I am not the only one that suggests that this is on you,

BRAVO!!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, golferguy3 said:

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kathy49 said:

That is not right....it seems since your agent is losing their commission they are taking a cut with the refund. I would verify with Celebrity what the penalty was and take it up with the agency. They are not authorized to have made that decision.

8 hours ago, cwaj45 said:

Was there a  diff offer or no offer at time the TA  cancelled you?  You said you  e mailed them you wished to cancel so apparently that's what they did. 

Looking back  when Covid began to affect cruising we  jumped the gun & cancelled an east coast US cruise (Charleston /Bermuda)  before Celeb itself cancelled the cruise. We received a partial refund and a  partial  fcc....and nothing for the trvl ins cost.  Those who waited longer did better with full refunds,  but the added stress of maybe cruising and catching Covid  was not worth it at the time.

Timing is everything!

• Like 1