The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 7th, 2023

richwmn

Oh we had a wonderful lunch at a local wine bar restaurant in Destin. . I had  a prime rib French dip sandwich and Sue had a duck breast salad. Appetizer? Yes. Fried artichoke hearts with a aioli sauce and of course wine. Came home and had a wonderful nap. 
Tonight will be lite fare with a cauliflower crust pizza.

@kazu I do hope that you have a perfect cruise especially after all your hard work to make it so special for fellow cruisers. Plus you so deserve a special memorable cruise.

Now watching some NASCAR and need to get a few more steps in to meet my daily goal and off set lunch!

Wind has picked up and outdoor temperature has dropped which equals another beautiful day in paradise.

Life is good. We’ll be cruising in 14 days. Bruce

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @richwmnfor the daily report ! 

I've been watching the news all day, and checking the boards to see how the Nieuw Statendam is doing. 

There's a lot to read here every day! Being new, here I don't know many people's backstory, but I wish strength and best wishes to those who are on the care list.

And I'm happy for those who are celebrating and enjoying this day ❤.

• Like 18

I walked to school in elementary school. After that my dad usually drove me, or I took the city bus, but I walked home. 

Does anyone have a recipe for Mongolian lasagna? I'm imagining that it would be cooked at the table. Actual dinner tonight will be beef stew. I used some Hungarian paprika but not enough for it to be a goulash, and some red cardboardeaux, but not enough for it to be a bourgignon.

The drink sounds awfully complicated. They do not dry grapes after harvest in the Finger Lakes--it's too rainy--but they do let some of them stay on the vine and freeze, for ice wine. The result of that, and of some mold growth, is a sweet wine that can taste of any other kind of fruit. It is not really different from an Auslese but no one admits that. Sheldrake Point's 2019 Riesling Ice Wine would be an example, but as it's $60 for a half bottle, I'm unlikely to try it. I haven't been to Skye.

The r-a-i-n has stopped and I hope that it doesn't resume, because tomorrow I'm one of the hosts for an Abrahamic Walk. The pure form of that is for a group of people to walk the route that Abraham and Sarah presumably took from Ur to Haran to Jerusalem. People do this, when conditions permit, and it's a source of income for villages along the way. The impure form is for an interreligious group to walk together on a route that includes a synagogue, a church, and a mosque. We can't even do that fully, because the only synagogue and the only mosque are too far apart and there is no safe walking route between them anyway. So we walk between two of them, both ways, and then drive to the third, where everyone eats together.

badcat.thumb.jpg.0dfa5c4de44bd7fbdb55b3f1152d939b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

@JazzyVthanks for the tip.  I was reading reviews this am, and Bosch was recommended. 

If I were to shop for a dishwasher I would check out Bosch.  My current one is a Kitchenaid to match all the kitchen appliances and it is 12 years old.  It will probably die next week now that I've mentioned it!

I bought my first dishwasher in the mid 1970's for our first house and it was a Kitchenaid Superba.  Anyone remember that name?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Bummer.  The game was a good game, but didn't end the way we wanted.  Final score UT 30 - OU 34.  They score in the last minute.

Lenda

Sorry to hear your team lost today, Lenda.  That really is a bummer.  

So far Ohio State won big and Michigan plays tonight.  Fingers crossed for them!🏈

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I bought my first dishwasher in the mid 1970's for our first house and it was a Kitchenaid Superba.  Anyone remember that name?

I think that may have been what was in this house when I moved in. All the appliances were at least 30 years old I think, and I moved in here in 1995. When that dishwasher wouldn't drain, it was so old that no parts could be found to repair it. So reading online, I decided to look at Bosch and I'm happy with the one I have.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I think that may have been what was in this house when I moved in. All the appliances were at least 30 years old I think, and I moved in here in 1995. When that dishwasher wouldn't drain, it was so old that no parts could be found to repair it. So reading online, I decided to look at Bosch and I'm happy with the one I have.

I've read the old Superbas were long lasting but I never owned one for more than 8 years.  We moved and started over with a new dishwasher!  I doubt these days they are built like the good old days.👵  Good to hear the Bosch is making you happy!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I walked to school in elementary school. After that my dad usually drove me, or I took the city bus, but I walked home. 

Does anyone have a recipe for Mongolian lasagna? I'm imagining that it would be cooked at the table. Actual dinner tonight will be beef stew. I used some Hungarian paprika but not enough for it to be a goulash, and some red cardboardeaux, but not enough for it to be a bourgignon.

The drink sounds awfully complicated. They do not dry grapes after harvest in the Finger Lakes--it's too rainy--but they do let some of them stay on the vine and freeze, for ice wine. The result of that, and of some mold growth, is a sweet wine that can taste of any other kind of fruit. It is not really different from an Auslese but no one admits that. Sheldrake Point's 2019 Riesling Ice Wine would be an example, but as it's $60 for a half bottle, I'm unlikely to try it. I haven't been to Skye.

The r-a-i-n has stopped and I hope that it doesn't resume, because tomorrow I'm one of the hosts for an Abrahamic Walk. The pure form of that is for a group of people to walk the route that Abraham and Sarah presumably took from Ur to Haran to Jerusalem. People do this, when conditions permit, and it's a source of income for villages along the way. The impure form is for an interreligious group to walk together on a route that includes a synagogue, a church, and a mosque. We can't even do that fully, because the only synagogue and the only mosque are too far apart and there is no safe walking route between them anyway. So we walk between two of them, both ways, and then drive to the third, where everyone eats 

INGREDIENTS

SCALE1X2X3X
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • ⅓ cup soy sauce
  • ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
  • ⅔ cup beef broth
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 16 oz box of linguine, spaghetti, or rice noodles
  • green onion, optional

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Start water to boil, once boiling cook pasta according to box instructions.
  2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain and return to skillet.
  3. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and stir until combined.
  4. Add drained noodles and stir to coat.
  5. Serve with chopped green onion if desired
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, quilty964 said:

, I think we're also looking for a new dishwasher today...the old one is having issues.  Any brand recommendations??  

Have a great day!  Karen

Karen,

I have a Bosch which I got a few years ago. I bought it to replace a 3 year old Kitchen Aid.  I bought the Bosch after much research and recommendations. I am happy with it. It is very quiet, the only way I know it is on is the little red light that shines on the floor.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry to hear your team lost today, Lenda.  That really is a bummer.  

So far Ohio State won big and Michigan plays tonight.  FingersI crossed for them!🏈

Sandi, thanks.  I'm glad Ohio Stae won.  Unfortunately, I can't pull for Michigan this week.  They are playing Minnesota, and that's where younger DD got her masters degree.

Lenda

• Like 7

12 hours ago, quilty964 said:

I think we're also looking for a new dishwasher today...the old one is having issues.  Any brand recommendations?? 

Got a Bosch two years ago and really happy with it.  

As a matter of fact we replaced all our appliances at that time with Bosch appliance and cannot be more pleased.

Terri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone. Whenever I ask Craig what he wants me to cook he always replies Lasagna Bolognese. It’s a multi day process and it’s been ages since I’ve made it. The best we ever had was in Venice in 2005 at a little tiny restaurant near the apartment we rented. Sadly it’s no longer there. 

Thanks to all for sharing and prayers for the care list. Bon Voyage to all sailing. Have a great evening. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, quilty964 said:

I think we're also looking for a new dishwasher today...the old one is having issues.  Any brand recommendations??  

Have a great day!  Karen

We replaced our appliances with LG and this has been the best dishwasher we’ve ever had. Very quiet and cleans very well even just using the auto function. Mine has the touch pad controls on the top of the door so it’s sleek looking too. Takes longer but that’s because it’s water saving. 

Edited to say that we’ve had it for just over 3 years. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1