10/16/23: Princess Announces Partnership with World Famous Butcher

LACruiser88

October 16, 2023 9:30 AM EDT

Princess Cruises Announces Exclusive Partnership with World's Most Famous Butcher Dario Cecchini "The Butcher's Block by Dario" Specialty Bistro will Debut Onboard New Sun Princess

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Oct. 16, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- A shared passion for tradition, tastes and a love of celebration underscores a new exclusive partnership between Princess Cruises and the world's most famous butcher, Dario Cecchini.

This collaboration introduces a new specialty impromptu bistro, The Butcher's Block by Dario, onboard the next-generation Sun Princess, debuting in February 2024.   

Princess Cruises Announces Exclusive Partnership with World’s Most Famous Butcher Dario Cecchini    Passed down eight generations from father to son, and with more than 48 years of experience,

Cecchini is recognized around the world for his butcher shop and restaurants located in the Tuscan village of Panzano, Italy. Featured on Netflix's popular "Chef's Table," Cecchini is known for taking care and responsibility for the animals and bringing respect back to butchering by using all the cuts of meat, featuring his grandmother's recipes that he fell in love with as a boy. 

The Butcher's Block by Dario, located on deck 9 of the new Sun Princess, comes to life as a specialty impromptu experience featuring a large shared, family-style table serving up a carnivore's paradise.

This specialty dining experience promises to grill up perfectly prepared beef and steak, including Cecchini's signature cuts. 

In addition, the cruise line's signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, will feature a refined upscale menu designed by Cecchini. The menu proudly features the highly coveted "Bistecca Alla Fiorentina," a distinctive Florentine Steak prepared with the bone, sourced directly from the prestigious Antica Macelleria Cecchini butcher shop in Panzano. 

"Princess' culinary offerings embody a rich Italian heritage, uniting a shared passion for family recipes, vibrant social dining, and a love of celebrating each day of life," expressed Cecchini. "My life as an artesian butcher holds deep significance because I hold profound respect for the gift of the animal and ensure that shines through when guests enjoy my new restaurant and delectable menus sailing the world on the beautiful Sun Princess." 

In addition to The Butcher's Block by Dario and Crown Grill elevating the culinary offerings on Sun Princess, previously announced specialty restaurants include Kai Sushi, a modern sushi bar; Sabatini's Italian Trattoria, a Princess favorite serving up fresh-made Italian pastas and unique courses; Umai Teppanyaki, another Sun Princess exclusive offering a fusion of teppan cuisine and showmanship; and The Catch by Rudi, from renowned Chef Rudi Sodamin featuring treasures from the sea. 

"Princess is dedicated to creating the finest experiences for guests spanning all cultures, tastes and preferences," said John Padgett President Princess, "from fine dining to casual and from indulgent to healthy, guests will love what the Sun Princess is bring to the table." 

Throughout Sun Princess, guests will be treated to 29 new and signature dining and lounge options, offering savory journeys, entertaining eats, sumptuous sips and satisfying snacks.

Also new for Sun Princess is Horizons, the three-story, main dining room elevating the traditional main dining experience with stunning wake views, natural light, art sculptures and memorable meals from friendly waitstaff. 

Currently under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Italy, the 175,500-ton, 4,300-guest Sun Princess will also offer an array of exciting new entertainment and activity offerings, as well as luxurious staterooms and suites across a broad spectrum of categories.  

With the most balconies and sun decks on any Princess ship, guests can take in the sunshine and crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean and Caribbean from the comfort of their stateroom.

The Dome, a transformational entertainment venue inspired by the terraces of Santorini, is the perfect place to relax and the Arena! is an evolution and the most technologically advanced Princess Theater design.  

Sun Princess will also feature the exclusive Princess Medallion that will extend Princess' leadership position in delivering exceptional personalized experiences typical of small ships while enjoying only the best large ship amenities. 

Inaugural 2024 Sun Princess cruises to the Mediterranean, Europe and Caribbean are on sale now. More ship information and images can be found at www.princess.com/sunprincess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The Butcher's Block by Dario, located on deck 9 of the new Sun Princess, comes to life as a specialty impromptu experience featuring a large shared, family-style table serving up a carnivore's paradise.

any more details on how this will exactly work? - Is it a 'specialty restaurant or 'casual dining bistro' and I know what 'family style' means - just put a bunch of food on the table and everyone serves themselves

"MEAT!" yelled Briscoe Darling when the boys had taken all the meat and passed him the empty plate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

any more details on how this will exactly work? - Is it a 'specialty restaurant or 'casual dining bistro' and I know what 'family style' means - just put a bunch of food on the table and everyone serves themselves

"MEAT!" yelled Briscoe Darling when the boys had taken all the meat and passed him the empty plate.

The press release is extremely light on details.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not too keen on the large shared family style concept but sounds good. Interesting to hear about potential changes to the Crown Grill. Have always felt it could with an update particularly on the starters side.

• Like 1

Excited!

I have been to Dario’s butcher shop many times in Panzano, Italy!

We were lucky to happen upon one of his long table dining extravaganzas!

Top notch. Cannot believe it.  It will be Specialty for sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

I was unclear about what "impromptu bistro" actually meant.  I wondered if that meant a pop-up experience within Crown Grill - say on certain nights.  Seatrade Cruise News saw my question on social media and responded to me:

"We checked with Princess Cruises.  No, this won't be located within Crown Grill.  It has its own spot on Deck 9, they said".

When I look at the deck plan on Princess' website, there is an area off the Piazza noted as 'Coming Soon'. Perhaps that is the location?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Not too keen on the large shared family style concept but sounds good. Interesting to hear about potential changes to the Crown Grill. Have always felt it could with an update particularly on the starters side.

+1.  Although there is no doubt that the new "refined upscale menu" at Crown Grill will come with a price increase.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

+1.  Although there is no doubt that the new "refined upscale menu" at Crown Grill will come with a price increase.

Possibly an increase in packages if they are included in Specialty dinning, as well.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

I am wondering if this is the beginning of “al a carte” pricing on Princess.  

I think it's just the beginning of more than two or three alternates to the buffet and MDR. Variety is the spice of life...keepin' it spicy Princess, keepin' it spicy!

• Like 3

I was very excited to hear this news. As a chef I've been very honored to get to know Dario Cecchini and have done a few pork and beef fabrication seminars with him here in the states and have also spent time with him at his shop in Panzano and eaten 3 times at his restaurants in Panzano as well. He is just a joy to be around and I love the restaurants so it will be fun to see how this restaurant is on Sun Princess.

IMG_2131.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

This thread was started Monday but doesn't have any very recent posts since then:

I did fully expect that @LACruiser88 would have posted the story.  I guess I didn't go far enough in the pages to spot it.  I see my post was merged in no which is the right thing to do.  Thanks to on-the-ball CC Hosts.

• Like 1