Port Everglades scanning of carry-ons. Confiscate mini bar size booze?

tabprincess

If you have the mini-bottles, you can simply put them in your pockets and walk right through.  I have a pair of shorts with deep front pockets and many times in the past put the small rumrunners in my pockets and walked right through.  However now that they have Plus there is no need and often we use very little of our cabin setup.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

If you have the mini-bottles, you can simply put them in your pockets and walk right through.  I have a pair of shorts with deep front pockets and many times in the past put the small rumrunners in my pockets and walked right through.  However now that they have Plus there is no need and often we use very little of our cabin setup.   

That's why my husband always boards wearing cargo shorts. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mistyPA said:

Not drunks, but enjoy a drink in my cabin once in a while without having to go and get it. We have used the flask bags in the past without any problems. Brought Chivas and Ketel One.

Nice, now your playing my song!! LOVE Ketel One, excuse me there's nobody who drinks more on the ship than I do. You can ask ANY crew member😁.

Gotta have vodka in your cabin and lime wouldn't hurt a thing either, a couple of them.

Back in the day I used to bring my own Chardonnay on the ship. 3-4 1.75's I was good for all of my cruise, in my cabin. 

A little heads up, I've done this several times this is hand's down one of the best tickets on your vacation.

If you port out of Ft. Lauderdale you can place your online liquor or wine order with Total Wines and More in the Publix Plaza. 

Have your taxi driver stop on the way to your hotel your order will be in a box on the counter waiting for you to grab and go. 3 minutes later I'm in the back seat of the taxi resuming the party on the way to the hotel and Las Olas Beach. 

Drinks in your room until you board the ship and drinks in your cabin.

I don't board a ship in Lauderdale unless I have a glass of Chardonnay in my hand, it's a personal policy.😎

Btw those plastic sleeves are genius, right Chivas and Ketel One, I'm still learning. Thank you!👌

• Like 1

The only container I trust with liquid in a checked bag is narrow mouth nalgene bottles.  For sure some ports are worse than others and dont have all your eggs in one basket.😉

They dont stock my favorite gin and Ive never been able to get a decent martini on any cruise.  And it would be warm by the time I walked back to my cabin to enjoy on the balcony. 

I have a mid size (one size up from lunch pale ~16 qt) hard sided cooler with a handle that I use as a carry-on.  The very first time I meet the cabin steward I tip him $20 to keep it loaded with ice everyday.  The fridges in the cabins never get cold enough.  Bottle water and soda cans I bring on (I drink Dr P instead of coffee in the morn) along with leftover beer from beer buckets go in it.  We enjoy our balconies so there is the hassle part of going back and forth to the bars while engaging in this.

Even then I pay my share for sure.

We are sailing with the plus package next time tho so we shall see....

R

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 2:28 AM, rj59 said:

Or buy some alcohol at a port and fill a water bottle or a 2L Sprite bottle, or add a liter of rum to a liter of Coke and have your own Cubra Libre--I add some rum to 20 oz  bottles of Coke Zero to take to movies sometimes.

Ive done this once and honestly I consider my self lucky to have pulled it off.  The crush of stuff to be scanned on embarkation day is certain to limit securities attention to things that pose a real danger like electrical items that could cause a fire or weapons.  That being said a bottle that looks like a liquor bottle will certainly draw attention.  Getting back on from an island visit they certainly have more time to look more closely at things.

R

Edited by Russell in MD

On 10/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, memoak said:

Having once getting called to security for a steamer in our luggage it was amazing to see the amount of things they were pulling out. One person had queen size electric blanket

Sheesh! Full sized one would have worked.  😃

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:12 PM, EDDY0827 said:

You can customize your mini-bar to include items you like.

We will be in a suite with the premier package so booze is not an issue, but we hate to waste what is in the mini bar, and last cruise we just gave away the rum and vodka minis as we do not drink those.  We would prefer scotch and gin, so how exactly do you customize the mini bar?  Do you have to do it after you board or can you do it pre cruise?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

We would prefer scotch and gin, so how exactly do you customize the mini bar?  Do you have to do it after you board or can you do it pre cruise?

You call room service after you board and let them know what you would like to exchange from the available options.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I've never seen them ever confiscate anything, but I've never tried to take on alcohol.  I do take on bottled water and soft drinks, and they have never checked to see if it's a coke can or a beer can. 

They once questioned ma about numerous cans in my luggage. They though it was beer & I just calmly told them to look for themselves and they told me to proceed. 

19 minutes ago, Lemorvan said:

Perhaps some of you need to stay home if you have to resort to “smuggling” drinks on board. 

If I won the Sweepstakes lottery tomorrow I wouldn't change my way of doing things. I can't change what I've been all my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:43 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Just a thought.  Is it possible the reason that Princess, and most likely all cruiselines, keep raising the price of alcoholic drinks and packages, is because they are aware of so many people bringing their own alcohol onboard and this is their only option to make up for lost revenue?  So, the people paying for drinks or packages, are in effect subsidizing those who choose to beat the system.  

It’s always been the case that regular paying customers pay for the shoplifters. It’s that way at all retail stores, as well as at sea. 

There’s a whole industry related to helping people cheat the system. Now, if only those people could get their rum runners for free!!! 🙂

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:53 AM, antsp said:

Rum runners, cheap investment if you cruise a lot

Never had a problem with using Rum Runners for the last 10 years.  They work because they don't look like bottles and they are safe to pack in your checked luggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1