The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 31st, 2023

richwmn

Quick update on DB. He called me after surgery and all went well. I was surprised they did not put in his PICC line at the time they did the surgery. He has to go to the local hospital and infusion center and they will do it there. He lives in a very small town in Minnesota. Luckily there is a town 15 minutes away to get his antibiotics. It was a normal 90 minute drive to where he had the surgery which took much longer today due to the snow and ice this morning. Thanks for the prayers. 

• Like 22

43 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser,Lenda, I have thought of you often when you told us about your mom. Tana wants as normal a life as possible for her son, as your father wanted for you. We figure if we all contribute our time and efforts our young man will manage better in this crazy world.

Thank you, Terry.  My father was a very big part of my life, since I was a Daddy's girl from the time I was born.  Unless he had to travel, he was at all the important events in my life growing up, and he would even take me to Dallas shopping at least once a year.  We were very lucky to have an aide during the week who could stay with my mother when my father traveled and when we took trips.  My mother was a big behind the scene supporter and encouraged me to be involved in as many activities as I wanted.  I had friends whose mothers also looked after me along with several of my mother's close friends.  A situation like mine and the teenager's, if you are lucky, makes you grow up sooner and able to handle tough situations.  I admire Tana for her attitude about the teenager having as normal a live as possible.  I know this cannot be easy for Tana having to miss out on so much of the teenager's life.  Like my mother, she is a very strong woman.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, 

We're having a string of cold clear days and it's so nice to see the moon setting. Our lows have been in the low - mid 20's and highs about 50F. It's made for a few brisk walks. I canceled my PT today and opted for a day at home to replenish my mental health. I'm glad I did. DS has me penciled in on his schedule tomorrow afternoon so I have the list of "son-do" jobs ready to go. 

My road has no yellow line down the center and no street lights so I usually don't have any trick-or-treaters but had a message from a neighbor that she and their 3 would like to stop by about 4:45 PM and that is totally ok. I had cards and some candy for them so it works out well. I also put out some candy for our mailman's two young sons. I have my Build-a-Bear, Sami, in her Halloween finery and a couple of "Noisemakers" - Dracula, Frankenstein, and a pumpkin ready to turn on when I have company arrive. They won't be here long as they are off to a school event. 

Happy Halloween! 

Karen

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Quick update on DB. He called me after surgery and all went well. I was surprised they did not put in his PICC line at the time they did the surgery. He has to go to the local hospital and infusion center and they will do it there. He lives in a very small town in Minnesota. Luckily there is a town 15 minutes away to get his antibiotics. It was a normal 90 minute drive to where he had the surgery which took much longer today due to the snow and ice this morning. Thanks for the prayers. 

Lorraine, I'm glad your DH's surgery went well.  It is good that he can get his IV antibiotics  nearer his home.

We just got a call from the NP at UTSW about the results of the CT scan last week.  While there was a slight build up of fluid at the end of the drain line, she and the surgeon didn't think there was anything to be concerned about.  As usual, after getting the CT scan, the soreness from the excess fluid has lessened considerable, and it did not bother DH last night.  So now, it's just letting nature take it's course and the healing continuing.

Lenda

• Like 25

20 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Thank you for the update.  I'm glad things went well.  Your DB's situation of living in a small town and having to drive distances for health care was a consideration when we decided where to buy our retirement home.  We wanted to be close by the services we know we will need as we age.  So, right now we can walk to the hospital.  

• Like 19

Good evening. Before going for my haircut I was so sleepy, despite coffee, that I had to munch on a few chocolate covered espresso beans. The trip to the salon (only around the corner) was somewhat eventful. I walked there slowly, aided by a cane. When I got into the chair for the shampoo, with my legs elevated and body reclining back, the right leg started to hurt really bad. It continued while I was in the chair, and it was all I could do not to moan out loud. I went out their back door, which is right across the alley from my garage. By the time I did that little walking, it was easing a lot. Then BFF came by to pick up something and just chat for a bit.

To console myself with how I've been feeling, I did a little retail therapy. I ordered the new Apple Watch 9, and will trade in my 7. I think I'll also try some Benadryl tonight to see if that helps me stay alseep.

@Sharon in AZ Condolences to you on the loss of your Aunt and your DM on the loss of her sister. Enjoy the trip to San Diego.

@Overhead Fred Wow on that snow; I'm glad you didn't have to drive through that for long.

@smitty34877 It warms my heart to know how committed you all are to having the teenager have a great young adulthood, especially given the circumstances.

@durangoscots I hope your heat is fully functional now. Good luck with your clearing projects.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad you got the golf cart in working order. Handy that you have an engineer around! I'm glad there was nothing of concern on DH's CT scan.

@seagarsmoker Too bad about so many of the businesses being closed.

@cruising sister Thanks for the update on DB. I'm glad he did well, and can get his antibiotics not too far from home.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Well, this was a day shot. The electrician arrived about 10:30 and games began. Both heaters are working and he cleaned them both. The older of the two, which has not been cleaned for a few years had a bit of dog hair but was not as bad as I feared. However...... the timing issues turned out to be somewhat complex. I have "time of use" electric which means that timing is important and my bills are generally lower than those of my neighbors.... but... and this was a big but.... The timers had not been set correctly (which is what I was seeing). And to complicate the picture.... one heater was on automatic timing but that timer was connected to a neighbor's box. The other heater was on manual. After some discussion I purchased a box all my very own, not subject to whims of my neighbors or their electricians and had both heaters put on automatic. This cost me labor and the cost of the box, but will over a year or so save me some money. What is nothing ever simple????? The electrician documented the previous work and subsequent issues and is hoping I can get a refund from the electric company. I am not holding my breath.

So....little else got done today because either he was working and I would have been climbing over him or the lights were off. I will start again tomorrow.

Now off to the trash with the one thing I have ready to discard.... an old rug I have had stashed away. Why I will never know or remember.

Susan

• Like 20

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

As we are back in a cabin and I’m browsing CC it seems I have either missed or @RedneckBob has not posted in a while. Any news? B.

Thanks for asking. Like you we are in a land far far away. I try to avoid any form of communciations while receiving my daily mud facial and all hands on deck massage. I made an exception for you. By the way we also like the West End Cafe in Bar Harbour.

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

Halloween indeed! I didn't carve pumpkins, but saw some great ones. Girl Scouts deserve to have their founding recognized 👏- scouting was an important part of my childhood; once a Scout, always a Scout. Support your local troop - buy cookies (if you don't eat them, they make great gifts).

Nice quote.

Hard pass on the meal, don't know the drink, maybe on the wine, never been to the port.

The day in history greatly impacted religion; I attended Lutheran schools.

Subset in Dubrovnik as seen from my balcony. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20231031_170026.jpg

20231031_163838.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We just got a call from the NP at UTSW about the results of the CT scan last week.  While there was a slight build up of fluid at the end of the drain line, she and the surgeon didn't think there was anything to be concerned about.  As usual, after getting the CT scan, the soreness from the excess fluid has lessened considerable, and it did not bother DH last night.  So now, it's just letting nature take it's course and the healing continuing.

Lenda

Good news indeed, Lenda.  I hope your DH can heal quickly 🤞 

14 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Great news indeed.  So glad to hear this 🙂. May he recover quickly and easily 🤞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1