Food & Beverage Update from the President

AnnaNicole

12 hours ago, Sailingsoph26 said:

After reading this thread, I decided to see if menus have been added to our Constellation cruise next spring. They have been, although I’m not familiar enough with the menus to know if they’re updated or not. What I did find fairly amusing is that they have not been spellchecked and there were several typos. Not a big deal by any means and I’m sure these are works in progress, but it’s not that common to see so many mistakes in official comms and the editor in me was screaming! 😆

IMG_4298.thumb.jpeg.6ee66ae2aaca8b6e103f3cd3e1d2ade3.jpeg

This way you cannot complain when something doesn't meet expectations. 

"No, madame.  The menu clearly says we serve Aragula, not arugula"

• Haha 5

On 11/5/2023 at 7:34 PM, Sailingsoph26 said:

After reading this thread, I decided to see if menus have been added to our Constellation cruise next spring. They have been, although I’m not familiar enough with the menus to know if they’re updated or not. What I did find fairly amusing is that they have not been spellchecked and there were several typos. Not a big deal by any means and I’m sure these are works in progress, but it’s not that common to see so many mistakes in official comms and the editor in me was screaming! 😆

IMG_4298.thumb.jpeg.6ee66ae2aaca8b6e103f3cd3e1d2ade3.jpegIMG_4299.thumb.jpeg.87ddb71baebed120d615cd2a2dc39305.jpegIMG_4300.thumb.jpeg.f55c2dcbc0a87f22da238e849e028cc4.jpegIMG_4301.thumb.jpeg.5518ee22d95690d655d6704c9aa129ca.jpeg

image.png.2ce58545fa0884c376658a70edd53c58.png

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2023 at 8:34 PM, Sailingsoph26 said:

IMG_4298.thumb.jpeg.6ee66ae2aaca8b6e103f3cd3e1d2ade3.jpegIMG_4299.thumb.jpeg.87ddb71baebed120d615cd2a2dc39305.jpegIMG_4300.thumb.jpeg.f55c2dcbc0a87f22da238e849e028cc4.jpegIMG_4301.thumb.jpeg.5518ee22d95690d655d6704c9aa129ca.jpeg

I’m not an editor but the Marketer in me cringed as well from this and all the numerous errors scattered throughout the app and website.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I have not seen a Celebrity or RCG number associated with the food cut backs.  However in this Seatrade Cruise News article that was published earlier this month, NCL reported that they cut food cost per passenger by nearly 30% since 4Q2022.

They outline food costs and food cost as a percentage of revenue in all of their earnings filings. 2023 noted a $163.4 million increase in food expense. You'd have to compare pre-COVID to get an idea but even with the purported cutbacks I would still imagine their cost is close to flat or increased.  

• Thanks 1

We are currently on the HAL Koingsdam and the MDR food has been 100% better than we had in September on the Apex.  Here are some entrees this week in the MDR so far that we never saw on the Apex. Monday was our first dressy night so we had a more choices

Rack of Lamb Monday night

NY strip loin steak with grilled shrimp Monday night

Double cut pork chop last night Tuesday 

Spice crusted prime rib-on tonight's menu

Unless Celebrity returns to menu items like the above, they are not making any positive movements. Sunday night had not much on the menu we liked, but we ate in Tamarind thier Asian specialty restaurant and we had the Wasabi crusted tenderloin and it was spectacular,  BTW the cost for Tamarind is only $30pp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2023 at 4:30 PM, terrydtx said:

We are currently on the HAL Koingsdam and the MDR food has been 100% better than we had in September on the Apex.  Here are some entrees this week in the MDR so far that we never saw on the Apex. Monday was our first dressy night so we had a more choices

Rack of Lamb Monday night

NY strip loin steak with grilled shrimp Monday night

Double cut pork chop last night Tuesday 

Spice crusted prime rib-on tonight's menu

Unless Celebrity returns to menu items like the above, they are not making any positive movements. Sunday night had not much on the menu we liked, but we ate in Tamarind thier Asian specialty restaurant and we had the Wasabi crusted tenderloin and it was spectacular,  BTW the cost for Tamarind is only $30pp.

What?  You do not like the tilapia?  🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2023 at 1:50 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Has anyone onboard seen any evidence of the expanded menus yet, or not for a few more weeks?

I see the new menus for my Dec. cruise.  There are more options,  but it is only a half fix.  More options,  but they left the lousy options of tilapia and spaghetti on the menus.  Put the better cuts of meat and get rid of the trash and it would be a go.  The problem is only half fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just off the Apex and the food (Breakfast and Lunch) in the Ocean View was up there with the best we have experienced on a cruise. Every station was open and a wide selection available, service was also fantastic. 

The main dining rooms were a bit of a let down for the first few days, food quality was excellent but portion size and choices were definitely lacking. Not a huge problem, once we realised we just ordered an extra main to share or some mash on the side. The dessert choices were the same almost every night (applie pie, ice cream etc.) with the exception of Chic night when the fabulous baked alaska made an appearance. 

However something I've never experienced happened, I'm not sure if this is due to complaints or if it is specific to the Apex, our waiters announced that they had a special that did not appear on the menu. A couple of examples were a Shrimp Pasta in lobster sauce, beef filet which easily matched what we had in the speciality restaurants. Also these specials were slightly larger portions and were delicious. 

All in we loved the food on the cruise, glad the classics are making a return as we really like having those options every night. 

• Like 4

Based on how we handled hotel restaurant menus for many years, I believe these “specials” are ideas for the new enhanced menus that are being tested for guest reactions, prep time/difficulty, etc.

Those that are popular and get positive reviews will likely be incorporated into the new rotations on a permanent basis

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Just boarded reflection after 10 days at home since the transatlantic. The first thing my waiter said when he saw me was “the old menus are back “

They are probably as relieved as you are.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, Trickydic said:

Just off the Apex and the food (Breakfast and Lunch) in the Ocean View was up there with the best we have experienced on a cruise. Every station was open and a wide selection available, service was also fantastic. 

The main dining rooms were a bit of a let down for the first few days, food quality was excellent but portion size and choices were definitely lacking. Not a huge problem, once we realised we just ordered an extra main to share or some mash on the side. The dessert choices were the same almost every night (applie pie, ice cream etc.) with the exception of Chic night when the fabulous baked alaska made an appearance. 

However something I've never experienced happened, I'm not sure if this is due to complaints or if it is specific to the Apex, our waiters announced that they had a special that did not appear on the menu. A couple of examples were a Shrimp Pasta in lobster sauce, beef filet which easily matched what we had in the speciality restaurants. Also these specials were slightly larger portions and were delicious. 

All in we loved the food on the cruise, glad the classics are making a return as we really like having those options every night. 

Thanks for the update. We sail Apex January 6th and glad to hear there is "possibly a bright dining light at the end of this very long tunnel".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Just boarded reflection after 10 days at home since the transatlantic. The first thing my waiter said when he saw me was “the old menus are back “

I really excited this is happening right before the Ascent takes on passengers. I'm sure it is a relief for their kitchen staff as well!

50 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Can you please post the changes you notice when you get a chance to, also can you please report on whether the quality has improved.  🙂

Have a great cruise.