PJs for Christmas breakfast?

CJHAN

What's you guys thought on this. As Tradition my family meets up on Christmas open gifts and have breakfast in our PJs. Would this be weird on ship? Particularly in the dining room on seaday breakfast.

Edited by CJHAN
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, CJHAN said:

What's you guys thought on this. As Tradition my family meets up on Christmas open gifts and have breakfast in our PJs. Would this be weird on ship? Particularly in the dining room on seaday breakfast.

If the Dr. Suess breakfast is that day, then I think it would be okay. Just do Suess themed pajamas. But I'd save the gifts for the room. 

You could order room service or take plates back from the lido to the room.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mkcurran said:

If the Dr. Suess breakfast is that day, then I think it would be okay. Just do Suess themed pajamas. But I'd save the gifts for the room. 

You could order room service or take plates back from the lido to the room.

Nice, never considered room service.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CJHAN said:

Nice, never considered room service.

I think you have your answer and solution. Ships aren't set up for unusual or unique gatherings such as the one you suggested and if they somehow accommodated you (waiving 'reasonable' public dress/long duration gift opening taking up a valuable table) they'd need to accommodate everyone's special request. Obviously that can't work with thousands of guests. Have fun and Merry Christmas.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 5

On our Christmas cruise we ordered room service and did our gift exchange.  We had all 6 of us in an interior room with what seemed like a gazillion plates and bowls. It was a hot mess and we loved every minute of it.  So, fill out your room service request the night before like a letter to Santa, have your little breakfast and gifts in your state room, and then let everyone get dressed and head out for a more formal breakfast if anyone is still hungry.

• Like 5

I just don't understand why people are so offended by this thought.  Part of me can see the uproar if it were dinner in the MDR (although I couldn't care less about what someone else is wearing, I understand the whole formal dining experience that people expect and enjoy).  But OP asking about breakfast.  I mean, come on.  This is breakfast.  I don't think anyone is planning on showing up in a teddy or negligee, what difference does it make if someone comes to breakfast in pants made out of flannel or made out of denim.  Why my outfit would impact anyone's breakfast dining experience just baffles me.  And then why it would be acceptable for a "special event" but otherwise unacceptable.  It's the same clothing.

The gifts though, I'd probably leave those in the room.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My family went on a Christmas cruise last year. On Christmas day, we wore Grinch onesies the majority of the day. And yes in the dining room for sea day brunch. There were so many costumes and people dressed for Christmas all day. On Christmas eve as well. The vibe is very different over the holiday. Maybe some onsies or Christmas themed shirts etc. We did exchange gifts in the cabins but I really loved seeing so many people enjoy the holiday. 

• Like 11

I'd bet most people's idea of a Christmas PJs are more covering than their ideas of normal breakfast wear. Good luck trying to enjoy a breakfast in a cabin as a family. 

I'm not sure how many presents you could be legitimately opening (and packing). Personally, I don't see the issue unless you're honestly tying up a table for an extreme amount of time. Someone could sit at their table talking for an hour, drinking bloody Mary's, and no one would bat an eye. Have some fun with opening presents for 15 minutes? NO FUN ALLOWED! I've seen plenty of people open presents in land-based restaurants, at least for birthdays. 

It it were me (following this tradition), I'd do the breakfast in my PJs, then play it by ear what would be a reasonable place to open the presents. Honestly, I think anywhere on the ship would be fun. 

• Like 7

We were on the Conquest on Christmas Day in 2021. We were so surprised to see families wearing matching pajamas, not just for breakfast but all day long. Never saw anyone with gifts, though. We felt a little bit left out.  Last year we were on Jewel of the Seas, in San Juan for Christmas Day.  We did not wear pajamas to walk around San Juan, but we had Christmas shirts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Go for it. I see nothing wrong with wearing PJs, especially if they're Christmas themed, in the MDR on a holiday cruise. I've seen people wearing Dr Seuss PJs for the Green Eggs and Ham breakfast a few times. And guess what? They seemed to be having the time of their lives. Too many people have forgotten how to have fun these days.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival has no dress code today. Wear whatever you want. When you ask if something is acceptable, you'll get personal answers

None of the mainstream lines have a dress code any longer. They all have suggestions for wear with a list of unacceptable clothing in the MDR at dinner. Enforcement of that is spotty on all lines.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

None of the mainstream lines have a dress code any longer. They all have suggestions for wear with a list of unacceptable clothing in the MDR at dinner. Enforcement of that is spotty on all lines.

100% accurate. But the question was about Carnival so I answered with Carnival in mind.

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

100% accurate. But the question was about Carnival so I answered with Carnival in mind.

Totally get that but others should know that it's not just a Carnival thing, keeps them from thinking they can book a different line and get a completely different result.