Dreaded time zone changes

mitsugirly

It seems like every NCL cruise we've been on in the past, we get a notification to change our clocks back/forward any given night (to match the time at the port). I know they did it on our last cruise in April this year. I just want to make sure they are still doing this...especially with this darn "Fall Back" daylight savings time we have here in the US...just so annoying. 

Anyone that has cruised lately...are they still doing this and did the times match up with the times in the port you were in? I'm trying to book 2 different things in one port and the vendors of course say "Remember, we are 1 hour ahead of you" which now has me second guessing all the previous cruises I've been on. LOL

time zone.webp

Edited by mitsugirly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

It seems like every NCL cruise we've been on in the past, we get a notification to change our clocks back/forward any given night (to match the time at the port). I know they did it on our last cruise in April this year. I just want to make sure they are still doing this...especially with this darn "Fall Back" daylight savings time we have here in the US...just so annoying. 

Anyone that has cruised lately...are they still doing this and did the times match up with the times in the port you were in? I'm trying to book 2 different things in one port and the vendors of course say "Remember, we are 1 hour ahead of you" which now has me second guessing all the previous cruises I've been on. LOL

time zone.webp

Nothing has changed in my experience. Every NCL cruise I have been on (including recently) the ship time has changed as appropriate so that it matches port time.

Sometimes when this subject is discussed some people mention a time that it wasn’t changed, but that seems to be very much the exception.

• Like 1

We just finished the Bliss where, in addition to the time change in ports, we also had the end of Daylight Saving Time.

To answer your question…during our cruise we went from PST to MST then back to PST.  HOWEVER, midweek our port was Puerto Vallarta which is on CST.  The ship did not adjust for this time change.  Fortunately our independent excursion emphasized that the start time was CST, so we arrived at 2 pm (ship time) for our 3 pm CST workshop.

Edited by laudergayle

We had "trouble" recently in that the notification were not always left in the cabin (Steward too busy or forgot) AND the statements in the Freestyle Daily were missing clear indication  of the DAY and used "today".   They had forgotten that the FD was delivered on the evening before its use-by date!!

• Like 1

Yes, at least last week on the Escape we received the notices, twice, going to/returning from Bermuda.  That said, I still made sure I put the TV on the navigation channel to read the scrolling thing to verify the ship's time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

We had "trouble" recently in that the notification were not always left in the cabin (Steward too busy or forgot) AND the statements in the Freestyle Daily were missing clear indication  of the DAY and used "today".   They had forgotten that the FD was delivered on the evening before its use-by date!!

The Daily’s are always dated for the day after the evening delivery.  They describe the activities and open times of the day and “today” always means the day after delivery.

@FLAHAM

3 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

and “today” always means the day after delivery.

That is the problem for people for whom English is a foreign language.   If they read TODAY it has only one meaning!

I know that; you know that BUT there were quite a number of people on the ship who didn't!!

After some discussion they actually changed the wording so that there could be no misunderstanding. 

I grew up in NYC in the 1950’s, when the early editions of the Times, the Herald-Tribune, the Daily News and the Mirror hit the newsstands on the evenings before their publication dates.  In fact, the advertising slogan of the Daily News was “tomorrow’s news today.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Try taking a TA. I believe we had five time zone changes on ours.

We had five normal ones plus the daylight savings.  Port time and ship time agreed, but we did skip two ports so I can’t speak to those.  It’s definitely easier going east to west in the fall when we gained time with each change.  In past cruises I can only remember two times where we didn’t match port time and one was Roatan for sure.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

The same thing happened to us last month on the Dawn.  Sailing around Great Britain and along the coast of Europe we changed time zones three times.  We also went through the change from DST to standard time, so there were four times in 18 days that we had to reset our watches.  We got the notification card in our room only twice.  One other time the notice if the Freestyle Daily was prominent enough to catch our attention.  On the other occasion we woke up an hour earlier than we needed to and didn't realize there had been a time change until we went to breakfast. 

A few years ago on a Caribbean cruise there were a couple of ports where the ship's time did not match the clock setting in the port.  Fortunately our tour providers were careful to make note of the difference.

5 hours ago, fredflint said:

Try doing an Eastbound TA you keep losing an hour and your body clock is all messes up.  Going West is much easier.

That's true, but to me it seems easier to adjust my daily schedule one day at a time rather than trying to overcome jet lag after not being able to get even a wink of sleep on a ten hour flight that results in a seven-hour time zone shift.

• Like 1

I did a TA in April and lost an hour for five nights.  I invested in a $10 travel alarm from Amazon.  Each night before bed I set it to the new time for the next day.  I always knew that one was correct if I woke up during the night as my phone didn’t keep up with the changes.

We’re presently on the V!va TA and he ave been getting the time change notice cards in our room during dinnertime room service.

such a more relaxed method than flying across multiple tine zones and shocking your brain & body into a multi hour adjustment !! Plus, as we’re going westward, each change means an additional hour of blissful sleep … and crew keeps mentioning how nice it is for them to get the extra hour sleep!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping they didn't stop giving the time change notices since our last cruise at Spring Break. 

Good suggestions about using the time on the NCL app and also on the navigation channel. I'll remember that and check it. 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping they didn't stop giving the time change notices since our last cruise at Spring Break. 

Good suggestions about using the time on the NCL app and also on the navigation channel. I'll remember that and check it. 

I'd be careful with trusting the navigation channel clock because it's been wrong before.  On one of our cruises it was way off on random days.  We always bring a cheap wrist watch or travel alarm to keep us on track. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, mitsugirly said:

Anyone that has cruised lately...are they still doing this and did the times match up with the times in the port you were in?

Beginning of November on the Breakaway in europe they still did it.