Greece and Med sailing - which is better month?

Cruise Gopher

Looking at sailing on the Equinox in 2025 on the 10 night itinerary that leaves from Barcelona and goes to Greece and Turkey and ends in Rome.  If price is exactly the same, which is the better date to do? End of June or end of August? One is over 4th of July and other is over Labor Day weekend (bonuses since less vacay to burn). 

I’ve done a few Med cruises but never one at the end of June/beginning of July. I’m sure it’s still blazing hot there no matter if I pick the end of June itin or the end of August one. 

Just wanted to see what other people would suggest?

End of June. Won't be as hot, less kids. I was on a similar itinerary on Royal this July 23rd -30th and it was so ungodly hot and although Celebrity will have less kids than Royal it was kids, kids, kids and families, families, families. The pool deck was a hot mess all seven days during the day. TBH I will NEVER ever do a Mediterranean cruise July or August again .NEVER. Santorini was unbearable with the hoards of tourists. Luckily I've been to all the places before. Mykonos was a bit better and what my family members who have never been on a Greek Islands cruise thought it would be. They really didn't like Santorini at all solely because of the crowds. It was over 95 degrees in Rome the two days pre- cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

was over 95 degrees in Rome the two days pre- cruise

40c+ in August 2022(104F)

I said I would never do one again, so we did Canaries in October 2023 and it was just as hot.

Edited by upwarduk

I would opt for the end of June due to heat.  We did a med cruise in July and it was HOT.  In fact, end of June will be hot too but not as hot as July and August.  We are following up with another Med cruise, this time from Venice into Croatia and the southern tip of Italy.  We are going at the end of April/beginning of May when temps are in the mid 70's.

• Like 1

I did a Med cruise in late June and it was hot. One day in Ajaccio was the hottest most humid day I’ve ever experienced, was told it was because of the wind coming off the Sahara Desert. I did have a blast and there were zero kids (Virgin Voyages). 

End of June definitely better than August. July and August are the busiest and hottest in the Med.

Early May v late October not quite so clear cut. Both will be less busy and both unpredictable for weather. I think I might plump for May because Spring in Europe can be lovely (but take a raincoat).

• Thanks 1

August in the Mediterranean is not a place you want to be. My first Med cruise was end of August and it was 100 degrees in both Dubrovnik and Athens. A fellow passenger passed out from the heat on one of our excursions. I would never cruise at that time ever again.

• Like 1

I did a Med cruise in early September, 2022 and it was still very hot.  Did the same itinerary again this year in early October and it was much nicer.  I've heard Oct can have more rain, but we lucked out with a perfect week of sun and temps in the high 70's (mid 20's celsius).

We just did a B2B in the Med on Beyond in October. We were very fortunate with weather. No rain from October 9-20 and visited Crete, Santorini, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens, Naples. Temperature was great. 78-82F each day and mid 60’s at night. If you have the flexibility to cruise then I recommend it. The second cruise was Italy, Adriatic October 20-30 and was a couple of cooler days but mostly high 70’s. Crowds were still there, but not what mid summer brings. 

Edited by RICCruisers