Best Top Shelf Liquor or "Customized" Mixed Drink That Packs A Punch...Or If Not Strong Just Dang Tasty?

I will be sailing on the Navigator of the Seas this Christmas and I am looking for your recommended top shelf liquor or "customized" mix drink (say with top shelf liquor substituted in the standard ship mixed drink or a good topper for a mixed drink or a mixed drink with fresh juice instead of pre-made mixer...that sort of thing) that I can order. My fav is Bombay Sapphire gin martini (without the vermouth...so basically straight Bombay Sapphire gin😉). However, typically they are watered down (except I have had some good ones in the Diamond lounge back in the day when they didn't offer 5 drink vouchers at any bar).

I know, I know; some may say RC doesn't water down drinks but the Bombay Sapphire gin I receive at the various bars on cruise ships never taste the same as when I drink it back home. And by the way, most restaurants in Connecticut, where I live, don't taste the same either; so I don't mean to bash RC. I could veer toward wine only since then it is consistent and not watered down but I am on vacation and would like to try something new or special. I am also looking to venture out beyond Bombay Sapphire gin martini's.

What top shelf stand alone liquor do you recommend or what mixed drink that is relatively strong do you recommend? Or do you order your drink in a certain way or tip the bartender in a certain way where you are guaranteed to get the drink in the strength level you want? I can also compromise on a stiff drink for one that is absolutely delicious. I have family members joining me who aren't big drinkers so they would appreciate the delicious but not so stiff drink recommendations too. Thanks and Cheers!

We like a dirty martini with Tito’s vodka

i like Hennessy cognac straight and Johnny Walker green which is a little over the limit if I can find it so it cost a couple of dollars over the drink package or 5 drinks for being diamond plus.

Edited by George C

WhenI am in the mood for something on the strong side, I like the James Bond martini that is available at the pub.  It is vodka, gin and Lillet Blanc.  

The pub on our recent Odyssey cruise did not have it listed on the menu and bartender had no idea what it was. I showed him the menu from our Wonder cruise, he was able to make one for me.😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackForest said:

I will be sailing on the Navigator of the Seas this Christmas and I am looking for your recommended top shelf liquor or "customized" mix drink (say with top shelf liquor substituted in the standard ship mixed drink or a good topper for a mixed drink or a mixed drink with fresh juice instead of pre-made mixer...that sort of thing) that I can order. My fav is Bombay Sapphire gin martini (without the vermouth...so basically straight Bombay Sapphire gin😉). However, typically they are watered down (except I have had some good ones in the Diamond lounge back in the day when they didn't offer 5 drink vouchers at any bar).

I know, I know; some may say RC doesn't water down drinks but the Bombay Sapphire gin I receive at the various bars on cruise ships never taste the same as when I drink it back home. And by the way, most restaurants in Connecticut, where I live, don't taste the same either; so I don't mean to bash RC. I could veer toward wine only since then it is consistent and not watered down but I am on vacation and would like to try something new or special. I am also looking to venture out beyond Bombay Sapphire gin martini's.

What top shelf stand alone liquor do you recommend or what mixed drink that is relatively strong do you recommend? Or do you order your drink in a certain way or tip the bartender in a certain way where you are guaranteed to get the drink in the strength level you want? I can also compromise on a stiff drink for one that is absolutely delicious. I have family members joining me who aren't big drinkers so they would appreciate the delicious but not so stiff drink recommendations too. Thanks and Cheers!

We are gin drinkers, but not fans of Bombay.  Not good since a lot of bars use Bombay for their well brand.  We just came off Navigator and found the best drinks  and service were in the Viking (Cosmoploitian) bar.  Gin martini's ( straight gin also) were strong and the glass was full.  We did tip $3 for 2 C&A drinks and not sure if that mattered.  Luane (bartender) and Neil (server) were excellent.   

• Like 1

Many people complain about "watered down" drinks and that they don't get their normal buzz but I think that has more to do with the facts that many people eat like they have never seen food before (just look at some people filling a whole plate with bacon, eggs and other fat foods) which is perfect if you want to be able to drink much without getting drunk or getting a hangover but not so if you want to get a buzz. Also many drinks are like a shot of alcohol with 800 calories of sugar, drink 5 of them during 4 hours and you will not feel a buzz due to all the other energy consumed. Water it down with some lightbeer of 4% alcohol and its a recepie for not feeling drunk..

Drink 7% Ipa:s and shots of Jack Daniels instead of frozen drinks at the pool in the sun and don't eat  more than normally done at home and I guarantee that most people except those with very high tolerance will be just as drunk as when home... 🤪

• Like 1

Pina Colada with Myer's Dark Rum. You will never want it any other way again. My experience is the bartenders blend it with some and then add some on top (to the point that it is darn near swimming in rum). Myer's Dark has a very distinctive taste and really pops in a pina colada. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Want something really different?.  Try a "Peanut Butter and Jelly".    😉  

Bartender on Wonder 2 weeks ago introduced us to that.   Skrewball whiskey, splash of Chambord, splash of Cranberry juice over ice.  

I tried the Peanut Butter Tropic at the Schooner Bar.  I didn't care for it, so the next time I had the bar waiter make me a "Peanut Butter Cup" (name copyrighted by me  😄 ) ... Skrewball, Cream de Cacao, + ??  He added Bailey's.  It was good, but very strong.  The next time I said to add cream instead of Bailey's.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For pre-dinner:  French martini w/ Chambord.

For post-dinner classic:  grasshopper.  

For poolside fun: Frozen mango daiquiri w/ Appleton float. 

For the ladies: lavender martini.

For something refreshing:  Aperol Spritz.

For me: Pellegrino with ice and lime (no alcohol for me). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Want something really different?.  Try a "Peanut Butter and Jelly".    😉  

Bartender on Wonder 2 weeks ago introduced us to that.   Skrewball whiskey, splash of Chambord, splash of Cranberry juice over ice.  

If Joseph is there in Schooner he was making these for quite a few people about a month and a half ago on Navigator. I don’t think he added the cranberry though. 

While I didn’t try the peanut butter and jelly myself, Joseph and John took great care of me at Schooner on Navigator for both parts of my B2B and I got to the point of just saying make me something with [insert base of choice here] and I wasn’t disappointed with any drink. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I tried the Peanut Butter Tropic at the Schooner Bar.  I didn't care for it, so the next time I had the bar waiter make me a "Peanut Butter Cup" (name copyrighted by me  😄 ) ... Skrewball, Cream de Cacao, + ??  He added Bailey's.  It was good, but very strong.  The next time I said to add cream instead of Bailey's.  

Will definitely sneak up behind you later.  Indeed strong.  PB&J lovers beware.  😄 

4 hours ago, JK805 said:

If Joseph is there in Schooner he was making these for quite a few people about a month and a half ago on Navigator. I don’t think he added the cranberry though. 

While I didn’t try the peanut butter and jelly myself, Joseph and John took great care of me at Schooner on Navigator for both parts of my B2B and I got to the point of just saying make me something with [insert base of choice here] and I wasn’t disappointed with any drink. 

Indeed once you get to know the bartenders, they are fun to deal with on figuring out your tastes...and will make you a drink to order.   Bartender on EX in the VCL got me hooked on Vodka sours with Grey Goose.  😋

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We are gin drinkers, but not fans of Bombay.  Not good since a lot of bars use Bombay for their well brand.  We just came off Navigator and found the best drinks  and service were in the Viking (Cosmoploitian) bar.  Gin martini's ( straight gin also) were strong and the glass was full.  We did tip $3 for 2 C&A drinks and not sure if that mattered.  Luane (bartender) and Neil (server) were excellent.   

Bucky loves his Hendricks.  🙂   He does not like Bombay either.  

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of "The Pitch" from Playmakers (it's a modified Long Island).

We had an amazing bartender in the SL on Wonder in June. He wasn't familiar with it but when I showed him the ingredients in the app he made them for me the rest of the cruise with top shelf liquors (I didn't even ask, just watched what he was using) and they were even better than I've had in Playmakers.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2