New to RC and just booked a cruise - please give info

scoobert2

Hi! I just found an amazing price on a RCI cruise out of Galveston and kind of just booked it spur of the moment and now I'm freaking out. It is only 60 days out and we have never cruised with Royal before so I know nothing about how they do things (Yes, I am sort of a planner and usually never do things without researching everything ahead of time.) We usually sail with Carnival so I am really interested in the differences. Is there anything we need to do like book shows or anything on RCI? Any and all info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Just now, scoobert2 said:

Hi! I just found an amazing price on a RCI cruise out of Galveston and kind of just booked it spur of the moment and now I'm freaking out. It is only 60 days out and we have never cruised with Royal before so I know nothing about how they do things (Yes, I am sort of a planner and usually never do things without researching everything ahead of time.) We usually sail with Carnival so I am really interested in the differences. Is there anything we need to do like book shows or anything on RCI? Any and all info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Which ship, that will make a difference in the answers

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scoobert2 said:

Bahaha...I didn't even know so I had to go look it up. It is the Voyager of the Seas.

You don't need to book shows on Voyager.  Don't miss the Ice Show it's the best entertainment on the ship.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, scoobert2 said:

Bahaha...I didn't even know so I had to go look it up. It is the Voyager of the Seas.

You don't have to worry about booking shows in advance on that ship.  It will be general admission on board for all the shows.

Here's a tip, download the app and then change the ship an sail date to the current sailing to see the actual cruise planner with the daily list of activities.  Even better is to do that for a 5 day sailing and it will give you a real close proximation as to when different things will be scheduled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scoobert2 said:

Just breath, sit down and have a nice cup of tea ...... 

There is NO Guy's Burgers joint! ☹

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't worry - if you like carnival, you will probably like RC.  The two lines were very similar, although I felt RC was a bit stronger (which makes sense given the usual pricing).   What are your favorite things on cruises?  Do you need help with excursion planning?

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Check in at 45 days out for everyone vs carnival 14 and 16 days out. 16 for platinum and diamond. Cant drop off luggage early like high tiers on carnival. Drink pkg lots of difference esp out of texas. Even carry on drink policy is different. Rcl allows cans or bottles, 12 per cabin. Carnival only allows cans. .. nothing big but policies are different. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

Don't worry - if you like carnival, you will probably like RC.  The two lines were very similar, although I felt RC was a bit stronger (which makes sense given the usual pricing).   What are your favorite things on cruises?  Do you need help with excursion planning?

We are pretty low key...we just usually hop between activities and eating. 

Research your ports on the cruise critic boards.  Also research Galveston if you haven't sailed out of there: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Flying is easier into Houston Hobby than Bush airport - about 1/2 hour closer to the port.  Still a long way and there are no convenient rental car outlets on Galveston island, so you need to arrange transfers.  Lots of parking very close to port if you are driving, though.

The biggest difference between Carnival and Royal is that dining options have fewer hours.  Buffet on Royal closes for an hour or two between meals.  App does tell you what is open now, though, so you can plan a bit.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

She is 25 years old and on the small side. 

When Voyager of the Seas was launched it was the largest cruise ship in the world. 

The first with an ice rink and a rock climbing wall. 

The first RC ship with a royal promenade. 

Fun fact: Katarina Witt, Olympic gold medal skater, was named the godmother of Voyager of the Seas in conjunction with the ship having the first ice rink at sea. 

• Like 2

Make sure to download the RCCL app.  Also (and a huge plus for anti paper me) you can use a digital pass to check in along with your passport or birth certificate/driver's license.  No papers like Carnival.  You don't have to use your phone to show the digital pass; you do have the option of carrying papers if this makes you more comfortable.  However, if you use apps to pay for stuff or your watch and like digital, this may be right up your alley.

• Like 1

I am sure you will enjoy the ship.  However older and doesn't have all of the same amenities as the newer ships.  You should consider booking an Oasis class ship to get the real flavor of Royal.  If you do on board, you will get a good rate and if you want move to your TA for additional perks.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I was going to say something similar to the last poster…where you really see a big difference in my opinion is on a Quantum class or especially an Oasis class ship. Whether you will like that experience is the big question. I love Oasis class ships but I know and understand not everyone enjoys them. 

• Like 1