Am I the only big kid?

Calvin

I just realized why I tend to appreciate the NCL ships a little bit more.  I just got off of a 15-day Royal Caribbean sailing (Odyssey) and I realized that on this particular ship, they didn't have water slides.

Though I don't use them everyday, I missed it. For me, cruising has always been a "Fun in the Sun" experience and I suspect that I have a little bit more fun when sailing on NCL, Carnival, or the other RCI ships.

• Like 1

I look at itinerary first, and then book on the cruise line/ship that has slides, rope courses, go-karts, what have you, because I too am an overgrown kid... just ask my wife, lol.

If the available cruises to my preferred itinerary don't have those things, then I am a bit disappointed, yes, but I still want the X itinerary first and foremost. 

Im on the Bliss for the first time in Jan. for a full Canal Crossing.  I dont plan to get off ship ( been to all the ports many times), so I am looking forward to enjoying all the "toys" that are being offered during port days ( water slides, go cart, laser tag).  

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Less kid attractions may equate to less kids which likely means less people on the ship.  Just a theory that I can't really back up.

Perhaps not.

But, there will likely be less ANNOYING people on board.

Bless their little hearts.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Calvin said:

I just realized why I tend to appreciate the NCL ships a little bit more.  I just got off of a 15-day Royal Caribbean sailing (Odyssey) and I realized that on this particular ship, they didn't have water slides.

Though I don't use them everyday, I missed it. For me, cruising has always been a "Fun in the Sun" experience and I suspect that I have a little bit more fun when sailing on NCL, Carnival, or the other RCI ships.

100% agree. I am older (o.k., I am old). And at times have challenges getting up the stairs,,, but still enjoy a good water slide or dry slide. And enjoy a good go kart (reliving younger days in supped up gas carts),,, although I now need help getting out of the kart at the end of the race. Normally wait until later in the cruise after the kids have tired themselves out a bit and I don't get run over climbing the stairs 

Years ago, my wife and I stayed on board the Gem anchored off GSC, so that we could have a quiet day at the pool. Many other adults did the same. At one point, just about everyone around the pool lined up and went down the slide — with great difficulty, since it really was a kiddie slide. (I’d already tried it on the Jewel and came to a stop before the bottom, so that was enough for me. 😂)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Sometimes we prefer the older cruise ships without the activities because it means there won't be many children on it. 

I was dying to make one other point: We just sailed on a 15 day Transatlantic cruise, there were very few children, but that may have influenced the number of adults present!  We could NOT get a seat in the trivia rooms, for example.

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And enjoy a good go kart (reliving younger days in supped up gas carts),,, although I now need help getting out of the kart at the end of the race. Normally wait until later in the cruise after the kids have tired themselves out a bit and I don't get run over climbing the stairs 

Come with us on the Encore repo in April. Maybe 30 or so kids for 21-days! Go-kart heaven, here we come....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Calvin said:

I was dying to make one other point: We just sailed on a 15 day Transatlantic cruise, there were very few children, but that may have influenced the number of adults present!  We could NOT get a seat in the trivia rooms, for example.

I’ll take the extra adults over no children. 😂

• Like 2

If you love the waterslides... DO THEM!   It's your cruise, you should be able to do it as you enjoy.  That is why I love cruising, so  much choice in types of ships and itineraries.   Yeah there are things that are no more that I long for, but there are also so many great new things to enjoy.

• Thanks 1