Will I be happy on an older ship?

FloridaGram

We have only sailed on Celebrity once, on the Beyond.  I have booked for next year on the Ascent and the Beyond based on loving it the first time on Celebrity. The shows were incredible and the ship is beautiful. 

But I am very hesitant to book an older ship, like the Equinox because I am afraid they are to much of a lessor quality. I know not to expect them to be the same but are they still a step up for Royal's or Carnival's older ships? Both is quality of the environment and entertainment? I have learned I prefer the new ships, having sailed on the 2 new Carnival and the Wonder of the Seas but been there done that now.

12 minutes ago, FloridaGram said:

We have only sailed on Celebrity once, on the Beyond.  I have booked for next year on the Ascent and the Beyond based on loving it the first time on Celebrity. The shows were incredible and the ship is beautiful. 

But I am very hesitant to book an older ship, like the Equinox because I am afraid they are to much of a lessor quality. I know not to expect them to be the same but are they still a step up for Royal's or Carnival's older ships? Both is quality of the environment and entertainment? I have learned I prefer the new ships, having sailed on the 2 new Carnival and the Wonder of the Seas but been there done that now.

We feel the same way. The only way I would book an older ship is if it has been revitalized recently.  I believe Equinox is to go into dry dock next year. So you might want to wait until that happens. We have done many of the Celebrity ships over the years and they all have good things to enjoy. We like the size of Edge class ships so we continue to book them. We also cruised Royal for years, but done with that. Just don't need all the kids attractions.

• Like 1

We have sailed three times on the Eclass ships- in sky suites.  Loved the ships and facilities.  However, we love the Reflection and Silhouette also.  We will be sailing on the Silhouette in January.  It is a beautiful ship and will not disappoint.  The ship has been redone and heard great job.  The lawn club grill is our favorite restaurant- however Eden is a close second on the E class.  We were on the Equinox a year ago also.  The service and all were wonderful.  

I cannot imagine you being disappointed.  Our son and his wife recently sailed on the Summit an M class ship and loved it.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, FloridaGram said:

I've been very happy with my four cruises on the Summit so far.  The only other Celebrity ship I've sailed on is the Millennium, which is a near twin that I liked almost as much.  These ships both received revitalizations about 5 years ago where much of the common areas and cabins were torn down and rebuilt to modern styling.  The revitalized ships generally get good reviews from Celebrity cruisers (including me).  The Infinity, in the same class but not revitalized, hasn't been evaluated as well.

I don't know if the Equinox has been revitalized.  Royal stopped that program because of the pandemic and hasn't announced a restart to it.

• Like 2

Since we don’t know you personally it’s hard to know what will make you happy. Thousands of passengers book all of the older Celebrity ships, which are kept an excellent repair and are lovely.  

If you go into an experience, expecting not to be happy, the odds are that you won’t be. Expect to enjoy it and you probably will.

• Like 1

we have enjoyed EDGE and BEYOND and are booked on ASCENT and APEX

But also booked on Silhouette for Dec 2024, based upon recent reviews.  We are.trying a prime Concierge cabin..short cruise, nothing fancy, just to relax before the holidays!

we liked Silho yrs ago..hope still a good choice..Lawn Club Grill is a plus!

OP   Will you like an older ship.?? that's your decision..

Order of class of ship that we would book 

#1 - S-class

#2 -M - class 

#3 -E-class 

maybe if we were booking suites  maybe the order would change 

This is after doing a TA on Apex in April ‘22, a TA on Reflection in April ‘23 and a TA on the Constrellation Nov ‘23 

About the only thing in the public areas that we like on E-class was the 4 dinning rooms 

Besides that E-class ships were noisy , seating uncomfortable , the design was in your face , and nothing classy about it , 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is where you have to know yourself.  Some people much prefer newer ships and so that is what they book.  Some people enjoy the charm of older ships and so don't hesitate to book them.

I have found that overall, Celebrity does a great job maintaining their older ships.  I have had amazing service even on the older ships.  I do suspect they prioritize entertainment a bit more on the Edge class ships (just as Royal or Carnival does on their newer ships) but I have still enjoyed the entertainment on M and S class ships.

The Equinox did get a partial revolution before the pandemic so she has gone through some updating.

• Like 2

We are in the opposite camp to you: sailed on all S class ships and all M class ships (except Summit) on more than one occasion. Still not ventured on E class as we prefer proper balconies and I’m not prepared to pay higher prices for an oceanview cabin (IV). As the above poster stated, it’s all about personal preference. Now if a real good deal came on an E class, I might, just might, consider it 😁.

Since 2019 we have sailed on the Equinox 5 times, the Infinity and Reflection one time each, all of the cruises were excellent with no problems at all with the condition of the ships, I thought for their age they were in great shape with 1 exception, the veranda cabins we occupied needed some work, the interiors were in fine shape but the verandas needed some work as they had some peeling of the paint, the handrails needing some varnish and the decks were sort of worn, not that big of a deal especially since we usually book inside cabins. I wouldn’t hesitate booking again with any of those ships, in fact we are sailing again on the Equinox in February on a 9 day cruise to the ABC islands.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

This is where you have to know yourself.  Some people much prefer newer ships and so that is what they book.  Some people enjoy the charm of older ships and so don't hesitate to book them.

Excellent post. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I've been very happy with my four cruises on the Summit so far.  The only other Celebrity ship I've sailed on is the Millennium, which is a near twin that I liked almost as much.  These ships both received revitalizations about 5 years ago where much of the common areas and cabins were torn down and rebuilt to modern styling.  The revitalized ships generally get good reviews from Celebrity cruisers (including me).  The Infinity, in the same class but not revitalized, hasn't been evaluated as well.

I don't know if the Equinox has been revitalized.  Royal stopped that program because of the pandemic and hasn't announced a restart to it.

Thank you! I just mentioned the Equinox because it is what I thought of at the time. I am not necessarily going to book it. I need to look into it and will look to see when the ships are renovated.  I appreciate your insight.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Since 2019 we have sailed on the Equinox 5 times, the Infinity and Reflection one time each, all of the cruises were excellent with no problems at all with the condition of the ships, I thought for their age they were in great shape with 1 exception, the veranda cabins we occupied needed some work, the interiors were in fine shape but the verandas needed some work as they had some peeling of the paint, the handrails needing some varnish and the decks were sort of worn, not that big of a deal especially since we usually book inside cabins. I wouldn’t hesitate booking again with any of those ships, in fact we are sailing again on the Equinox in February on a 9 day cruise to the ABC islands.

Thanks for your insight! My husband is an AG retiree and a Vietnam vet.  Thank you for your service!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think you will find the demographic a bit more sedate and mature on the S and M class ships than the E class ships. The shows certainly will not be comparable. But there is musical entertainment  at various venues evenings. The S class ships are elegant and traditional in ambiance.  

• Like 2

We're on Infinity in April and I'm a little concerned, given conflicting reports on the ship's condition. Also, Tuscan is the only specialty restaurant of interest to us on Infinity. We'll miss Murano, Lawn Club and the Porch, which we've enjoyed on S-class ships. We've sailed Celebrity a dozen times and never been disappointed. Hoping to extend that string on Infinity. 

4 hours ago, FloridaGram said:

Thanks. See I am just learning so this is a big help!

Assuming you are not familiar with an IV---- It's a 3 ft extension to the cabin with 2 chairs, a small table and a window that only goes 1/2 way down--- It's not a balcony at all.

LOL-- There have been many "discussions" ( arguments ) on CC about this--- but, no name calling.

We have only ever sailed on the S Class ships - Equinox (2010) Reflection and Eclipse. 7 cruises in all the last one on Eclipse to Alaska this summer. Overall I think the ships themselves are perfect. The only thing I didn't like on this last cruise was our stateroom. It felt tired, grubby and had a weird smell. The curtains weren't the plush, purple overlay but simple white lightblocking plastic drapes which judging by the holes in them had been stabbed a few times. The TV's are also past their prime (not that we watch a lot of TV) 

We are booked on the Ascent in January so I will be interested to see the difference in the public areas. I am already mourning the lack of Sky Lounge because that is my very very favourite spot on the S class girls. 

I think the Solstice-class ships are amazing, just the right size - big enough for lots of variety (e.g., several specialty restaurants) but not overwhelming like a RCCL Oasis class (not to say I don't enjoy those occasionally) and just a generally beautiful design. Based on what I've read, I haven't been sold on the idea of paying the premium on the Edge class, but I'd be curious for sure for the right price. 

We're doing Summit later this year, have done a few Millennium-class cruises over the years and these are really nice ships as well, albeit a bit smaller. Would I have preferred S-class? Probably, but it's only a 5-night and it was a really good deal. I'm bummed about the shrinking of the locker room/sauna which was really nice (windowed!) on the pre-revolutionized ships of this class, but they don't even have a free sauna option on E-class.

Just my humble opinion, but...

If you are booking a suite, the Edge class ships have some large advantages... The retreat deck is nice, the retreat lounge is nice, the new suites are beautiful.

If you are booking a regular Verandah or Aqua Class, the Edge class ships have some large disadvantages as many people have discussed about their dislike for the IV rooms.

If you are booking an Ocean View or Interior room, Edge class ships have some benefits (eg: better entertainment, improvements in the MDR, some new speciality dining, better tendering experience with the Magic Carpet), some downsides (no more Murano, no more Sky Lounge), and some things which vary depending on your opinion (more/louder music in common areas).

I'd personally only consider Edge Class for the few rooms with a real balcony (eg: Porthole Verandah, Sunset Verandah, or a suite) ... or perhaps in a cold destination where the balcony isn't as likely to be a daily use (eg: Alaska, Antartica).

For the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Transatlantic,Transpacific, Hawaii, etc ... I'd prefer an S-class ship if I were in Aqua class.

I haven't personally been on an M-class in many years, so I can't comment on that one way or the other.