Multiple medical emergencies Anthem

sadiwest

Not only was the departure delayed out of Nassau for an emergency (we were waiting for an ambulance), but the captain announced that we're off the coast of Cape Fear NC in order to meet a Coast Guard helicopter.    Apparently there are two people on board requiring hospitalization.    

Wonder if it's two members of a family or two separate situations.   Also makes me wonder what happens to their remaining friends/family on board.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Wonder if it's two members of a family or two separate situations.   Also makes me wonder what happens to their remaining friends/family on board.  

I think they are allowed to choose if they get off or stay.  If you remember that awful incident a few years ago where the passenger swore when room service woke her up and the guy came back and attacked her, the first passenger who responded to her screams chose to leave the cruise with her because he didn't want her to be completely alone when she went to the hospital on land.

3 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I think they are allowed to choose if they get off or stay.  If you remember that awful incident a few years ago where the passenger swore when room service woke her up and the guy came back and attacked her, the first passenger who responded to her screams chose to leave the cruise with her because he didn't want her to be completely alone when she went to the hospital on land.

In this case the patient was taken via helicopter.   I'm not sure if there's a way to get well passengers off the ship?

37 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

No. I don't remember that at all. It sounds horrible. 

The ship's physician wanted me to get off in Key West and go to a doctor, when I came down with Shingles onboard. I refused. He had the same anti-viral and antibiotics that I would have received onshore. and I just wanted to go back to bed. I had Travel Insurance, and they paid for the onboard medical. I had DH get me some heat wraps at CVS in Key West. They worked okay, with a damp wash cloth. While I stayed in bed for 3 days. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

In this case the patient was taken via helicopter.   I'm not sure if there's a way to get well passengers off the ship?

Ah, good point.  The case I remembered the woman left the ship at the port of Roatan, and then they transported her to Florida.  It think depending on how far they are from land is whether or not they use the helicopter since its safer to go to land (I was once on a ship that turned around and went back to port when someone fell down the stairs.  I remember that distinctly because my mother kept complaining loudly about being late for the next port.  I told her to please shut up or hold her complaining until we got back to the cabin because the cruise lines only burn more fuel to sail faster if they absolutely have to (in this case the passenger needed a head CT to rule out a brain bleed, which thankfully was negative).

If they medivac someone out, I'm sure they'd let whatever family members who don't fit in the chopper leave at the next port.  Problem if you don't have a passport though.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Not only was the departure delayed out of Nassau for an emergency (we were waiting for an ambulance), but the captain announced that we're off the coast of Cape Fear NC in order to meet a Coast Guard helicopter.    Apparently there are two people on board requiring hospitalization.    

Last year on Odyssey TA to Rome, on day two the captain diverted the ship to PR to drop off a woman that had fallen in the theatre and we heard broke her leg. Her family had to get off too, we saw them all getting off at the pier.

7 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Ah, good point.  The case I remembered the woman left the ship at the port of Roatan, and then they transported her to Florida.  It think depending on how far they are from land is whether or not they use the helicopter since its safer to go to land (I was once on a ship that turned around and went back to port when someone fell down the stairs.  I remember that distinctly because my mother kept complaining loudly about being late for the next port.  I told her to please shut up or hold her complaining until we got back to the cabin because the cruise lines only burn more fuel to sail faster if they absolutely have to (in this case the passenger needed a head CT to rule out a brain bleed, which thankfully was negative).

If they medivac someone out, I'm sure they'd let whatever family members who don't fit in the chopper leave at the next port.  Problem if you don't have a passport though.

Or in this case where the next port is home (after two sea days).

Just hope they're ok but definitely makes me wonder.  

Family does not HAVE to get off.  They have the option to do so.

My mother had an issue in port and was transported to the hospital.  My Dad and I got off to deal with and my then wife stayed on board.  That way we did not have to fully pack everything in a rush.  I packed two carry on size bags for us.

A lady was also transported for a broken collar bone.  Her husband fully packed and got off with her.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

There have been at least five Alpha calls on the Wonder this week so far.

Yup, more common then people realize. Had 6 Medical Emergencies on just one Cruise last year. Left late to start Cruise as Passenger was taken away in Ambulance, then speed up to one Port, turn around and drop another off with Pilot Boat. Have had at least 4 Helo pick ups alone, that I can remember in last 25yrs

32 minutes ago, SRF said:

Family does not HAVE to get off.  They have the option to do so.

My mother had an issue in port and was transported to the hospital.  My Dad and I got off to deal with and my then wife stayed on board.  That way we did not have to fully pack everything in a rush.  I packed two carry on size bags for us.

A lady was also transported for a broken collar bone.  Her husband fully packed and got off with her.

Another silly question but with certain maritime laws .....are there fines involved in cases where one doesn't return to the port of origin or is that waived for medical situations? 

The only time I heard they let a family member go on a helicopter evacuation was a single mother being evacuated (may have beeN unconscious) and her child, young, was evacuated.  Obviously Royal didn't want to be left with a young child until we arrived at the next port, Boston.   Evacuation occurred between Halifax and Boston.  Passenger was from the UK.  She was ok and posted from the hospital several days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, njkruzer said:

The only time I heard they let a family member go on a helicopter evacuation was a single mother being evacuated (may have beeN unconscious) and her child, young, was evacuated.  Obviously Royal didn't want to be left with a young child until we arrived at the next port, Boston.   Evacuation occurred between Halifax and Boston.  Passenger was from the UK.  She was ok and posted from the hospital several days later.

I would think having a family member ride on the helicopter would be the exception rather than the rule. Obviously it was warranted in this instance.

On 12/4/2023 at 4:15 AM, brillohead said:

As a nurse myself, I have to say that I'd rather stay on the ship than get off for medical care in Haiti!!!

THIS is why my trip insurance always includes the enhanced medical package that will ultimately transport to my hospital of choice!  RN too.

Teddie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teddie said:

THIS is why my trip insurance always includes the enhanced medical package that will ultimately transport to my hospital of choice!  RN too.

@teddie that’s exactly what I was going to say.  These medical emergencies are scary and awful but may not compare to the bill you will receive for evacuation and other medical interventions outside of the US.  

• Like 1