Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

13 hours ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Can highly recommend a nice craft beer place in the marina area (Barcelonetta) called Black Lab Brewery. 

I've been to Barca 4 times in the last 2 years and it's a mainstay. The beer is good, the cocktails are good and they do good food. Not a huge selection of food but burgers, ramen, gyoza. 

The beer is brewed on site as well. Nice outdoor area to sit. 

Thanks.  We are also big fans of the local Paella...sooo good!  😋

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

Internet has been slow and sketchy the past few days.  Hong Kong was amazing, but uploading photos isn't quick.  Here are some photos I took at sail away last night.  This was my favorite sail away out of all the ports we've seen so far.  It was beautiful!  

HonkKongLZ55.JPG

HonkKongLZ76.JPG

HonkKongLZ93.JPG

HonkKongLZ95.JPG

Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing and updating the World Cruise Serenade location and experiences!  🥰

• Like 4

On 3/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, CSHS1979 said:

While sailing round Hong Kong Island, the ship had to alter course when an unlit ferry crossed her path. The action caused a huge wave in both pools that flooded the pool deck and into forward elevators. Glassware in Schooner came crashing down as well. Not sure about any other damage. Happened sometime between 9 and 930

I hope John and all of the passengers are okay.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

We are in Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan today -- and we took the glass bottom boat and saw some coral and sea turtles.  The island was beautiful!  Here are a few photos....

Coral.jpeg

SeaTurle.JPG

SeaVIews.JPG

SeaViews2.JPG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

We are in Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan today -- and we took the glass bottom boat and saw some coral and sea turtles.  The island was beautiful!  Here are a few photos....

Coral.jpeg

SeaTurle.JPG

SeaVIews.JPG

SeaViews2.JPG

Wow...really beautiful.  Thanks again for sharing!  Wish we were still with you, thanks for letting us be "virtual cruisers" with you.  🥰

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Coral.jpeg

SeaTurle.JPG

SeaVIews.JPG

SeaViews2.JPG

Thanks  LADYZOLT for getting this thread back in topic.  It was going to hell in a hand basket with some slim pickings about the cruise itself.

your pictures are awesome.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Coral.jpeg

SeaTurle.JPG

SeaVIews.JPG

SeaViews2.JPG

Looks like it's not super hot there since it's so cloudy, but I bet the humidity though is pretty high there right now isn't it?

Coral.jpeg

SeaTurle.JPG

SeaVIews.JPG

SeaViews2.JPG

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like it's not super hot there since it's so cloudy, but I bet the humidity though is pretty high there right now isn't it?

Yes, Ishigaki was humid.  Taipei was actually quite nice -- not too warm and not humid.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Yes, Ishigaki was humid.  Taipei was actually quite nice -- not too warm and not humid.  

Thanks for the updates and photos @LadyZolt and @CSHS1979

Can I ask some questions about life on board to anyone there or who has been on part of the cruise.  

Are the headliners and ships singers and dancers still up to the same standard as normal for Radiance ships ? Do they change round the pub singer and other 'round the ship' musicians regularly?

How often are the menu's repeated?

Does the Captain hold regular Q@A sessions?

Do they have guest lectures?

And finally as a lowly Diamond on a ship full of Diamond + and Pinnacles is there any chance we'll get to use the Crown Lounge or indeed might the whole Viking Crown area be roped off for happy hour when we join in Barcelona .  We love the Viking Crown bar for a drink pre dinner

Thanks for any replies 😊

I would love to know how day to day life works on this unique cruise 

Thanks, Sue

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thanks for any replies 😊

I would love to know how day to day life works on this unique cruise 

Hi, Sue!  Here are my answers:

Q:  Are the headliners and ships singers and dancers still up to the same standard as normal for Radiance ships ? Do they change round the pub singer and other 'round the ship' musicians regularly?

A: They have had folkloric shows in many areas around the world, and then will have headliners like a Beatles group who are all from Australia when we were in Australia, or general headliners like magicians, comedians, or singers. But they also have the Royal Caribbean singers repeating the same shows (which I know that's what they know -- but after seeing the same or very similar show two or three times, we don't bother going now). The pub singer and other musicians generally have stayed for a long time. Some of them have changed by now, though. 

Q:  How often are the menu's repeated?

A.  It's a 28 day menu -- you'll usually see the same thing regularly (like a Cesar salad and a strip steak) and then other items appear only once in a while. 

Q: Does the Captain hold regular Q@A sessions?

A:  Both captains have had a few. It's called "Captain's Corner."  With Captain Stig, I think it was just the captain talking, but the two I've gone to with Captain Kjell have also had other officers with him answering questions.  

Q:  Do they have guest lectures?

A:  Regularly, and I consider most of them to have been excellent.  We've had a photographer who is knowledgeable about a variety of topics and world areas; we've had a geologist; we had a husband and wife team who portrayed Presidents and First Ladies who were related to Hawaii becoming a state; and of course many travel experts who talk about what to see and do in the upcoming ports.  Lots of variety of lectures!

Q: And finally as a lowly Diamond on a ship full of Diamond + and Pinnacles is there any chance we'll get to use the Crown Lounge or indeed might the whole Viking Crown area be roped off for happy hour when we join in Barcelona .  We love the Viking Crown bar for a drink pre dinner.

A: Diamonds can use the Crown Lounge. At night, they will divide the area so that the Crown Lounge is larger to accommodate folks.  In the morning, you can get espresso there along with some food items, and they also have evening food items. I was Platinum when we started and I'll be Diamond Plus by the end of April, and I personally have only gone into the Crown Lounge maybe ten times. It didn't ever seem crowded to me. I don't think you'll have a problem enjoying your before-dinner drink.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

piggybacking on the day-to-day questions....

Is MDR dinner open seating or assigned?  Are folks sitting with the same passengers every evening for the entire cruise? 

Have people created small groups/cliques?  (At one cruise a few years ago, came in for the 15-day leg of a 3 leg 45-day cruise.  Many had made informal groups and did want outsiders or others that were not part of their clique.  This group hated that group, that group hated some other group.  It was like kindergarten.)

Has RCCL created space for "home" schooled children?

Has everyone stayed basically healthy? Sadly, I heard of one passing.

Has anyone scheduled for the full cruise decided it wasn't for them and left early? 

What ever happened to the Tic Toc person who came on board to stir up drama.  Luckily, never heard from him except to announce his intentions. I'm not on Tic Toc so maybe I missed it. 

The full cruise itinerary and the concept of being at sea for so long is fascinating to me.  Those who can take the full cruise certainly have an experience they will likely never replicate.  How fortunate!  Any day-to-day info is so interesting to me.  

Thanks 

M

• Like 1

Q: Is MDR dinner open seating or assigned? 

A: I think it's like every other RCCL cruise -- you pick early or late dining or MTD. If you pick early or late, you are assigned a table. MTD, you get seated where they have an open table. 

Q: Are folks sitting with the same passengers every evening for the entire cruise? 

A: We have a table for two -- we are beside other "table for two" couples and in the four groups of two closest to us, it's the same four couples in a row since December.  I know another couple who are at a table for 8 or 10 (I can't remember how many) and it's been the same since December.  Near the end of each of the mini-legs, though, the assistant head waiter comes to each of our tables (we're all on the full world cruise) and asks if we want to change which table we're at for the next leg. We haven't ever changed.  But we could and so others may have over the months.  Our stateroom attendant has been the same throughout the cruise -- some people have gotten new ones as their attendant has gotten off once completing their contract. But the dining staff for some reason changes every mini-leg, so we're now on our sixth set of waiter / assistant waiter pairings. 

Q: Have people created small groups/cliques? 

A: I think this has happened as this is human nature. But I haven't experienced any feeling of "you don't belong" when I've been in any groups or lines (excursions, theater, Top Tier event, etc.). 

Q: Has RCCL created space for "home" schooled children?

A:  I don't have kids aboard, but I do think that RCCL has created an area for them.

Q: Has everyone stayed basically healthy? Sadly, I heard of one passing.

A: Like anywhere, some people have gotten sick or injured and I think RCCL has handled it the way one would expect. They have twice so far asked for people to donate blood of a certain type to treat someone; there have been a few medical evacuations once we've arrived at a port; people who end up getting COVID are quarantined for five days (and get room service) and their cabin-mate who is negative is moved to a different cabin so it's less likely that they will get COVID, and the ones with COVID are given FCC for the 5 days they were quarantined.  On a 7-night cruise, a 5-night quarantine would be significant, but on a 274-night cruise, it's just a little bump in the road.  And just like other cruises, there are a fair number of people who are elderly or otherwise not in the best of health and who may pass away during the cruise. As you said, I am aware of one person who passed just before we arrived in Los Angeles.

Q: Has anyone scheduled for the full cruise decided it wasn't for them and left early? 

A:  I haven't heard of anyone doing that because, unless you got a very pricey "cancel for any reason" cruise insurance policy, you aren't going to get your money back from either RCCL or your insurance just because you don't like the cruise.  However -- with the change in itinerary to Africa, RCCL has said anyone who wants to permanently leave in Dubai will be refunded 100% of the rest of the cruise -- that is Segments 3 and 4, or about half the cruise!  It's like a "get out of jail free" card! I was very impressed with RCCL on this point as I didn't expect them to offer this.  It is very generous!

Q: What ever happened to the Tic Toc person who came on board to stir up drama.  Luckily, never heard from him except to announce his intentions. I'm not on Tic Toc so maybe I missed it. 

A: I don't think he actually stirred up any drama. At least, not that I'm aware of. I'm not on TicTok, either, so I don't know what he said or is saying. I did see one article that reported him as saying you can't talk about the Titanic on a cruise ship.  What nonsense!  He clearly didn't cruise often. I think he is one of those people who deliberately says stuff he knows isn't true just to get views or whatever.  This cruise probably wasn't as drama-filled or exciting as he thought it would be. It's not a mega-ship, so there's no race cars or tall slides or zip lines or ice skating. It doesn't even have the FlowRider. The vast majority of us are over 50, so there's not a lot of single young people with all the usual stuff that can happen when there are (drinking, dating, breaking up, hooking up, etc.) Most of us are just enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the world.  This is not to say that older people can't behave that way -- it's just less likely that we will.  😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

On 4/1/2024 at 1:41 PM, elizabethbp said:

I booked the New Year's cruise after the World Tour.  I was curious as to the condition of  the ship.  Any info appreciated. 

Once you do NYE in Rio, every other one will be a letdown 

20231231_103922.thumb.jpg.bb55e7dd97e5f45e19921b01cb7a9523.jpg

20231231_191547.thumb.jpg.bdccb0be0746bcdab9e62840efbe0a53.jpg

20231231_175949.thumb.jpg.0b0bc3dcb143ec80413751c2e41691ad.jpg

20231231_224058.thumb.jpg.58cc01fe57b95b7bf78233aaf00c8350.jpg

20240101_000806.thumb.jpg.50095204aead5e87a0f879acafa64bd5.jpg

20231231_225949.thumb.jpg.02585110eaefe5352376e4afa2ac1ab0.jpg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

A: I think it's like every other RCCL cruise -- you pick early or late dining or MTD. If you pick early or late, you are assigned a table. MTD, you get seated where they have an open table. 

Q: Are folks sitting with the same passengers every evening for the entire cruise? 

A: We have a table for two -- we are beside other "table for two" couples and in the four groups of two closest to us, it's the same four couples in a row since December.  I know another couple who are at a table for 8 or 10 (I can't remember how many) and it's been the same since December.  Near the end of each of the mini-legs, though, the assistant head waiter comes to each of our tables (we're all on the full world cruise) and asks if we want to change which table we're at for the next leg. We haven't ever changed.  But we could and so others may have over the months.  Our stateroom attendant has been the same throughout the cruise -- some people have gotten new ones as their attendant has gotten off once completing their contract. But the dining staff for some reason changes every mini-leg, so we're now on our sixth set of waiter / assistant waiter pairings. 

A: I think this has happened as this is human nature. But I haven't experienced any feeling of "you don't belong" when I've been in any groups or lines (excursions, theater, Top Tier event, etc.). 

A:  I don't have kids aboard, but I do think that RCCL has created an area for them.

A: Like anywhere, some people have gotten sick or injured and I think RCCL has handled it the way one would expect. They have twice so far asked for people to donate blood of a certain type to treat someone; there have been a few medical evacuations once we've arrived at a port; people who end up getting COVID are quarantined for five days (and get room service) and their cabin-mate who is negative is moved to a different cabin so it's less likely that they will get COVID, and the ones with COVID are given FCC for the 5 days they were quarantined.  On a 7-night cruise, a 5-night quarantine would be significant, but on a 274-night cruise, it's just a little bump in the road.  And just like other cruises, there are a fair number of people who are elderly or otherwise not in the best of health and who may pass away during the cruise. As you said, I am aware of one person who passed just before we arrived in Los Angeles.

Q: Has anyone scheduled for the full cruise decided it wasn't for them and left early? 

A:  I haven't heard of anyone doing that because, unless you got a very pricey "cancel for any reason" cruise insurance policy, you aren't going to get your money back from either RCCL or your insurance just because you don't like the cruise.  However -- with the change in itinerary to Africa, RCCL has said anyone who wants to permanently leave in Dubai will be refunded 100% of the rest of the cruise -- that is Segments 3 and 4, or about half the cruise!  It's like a "get out of jail free" card! I was very impressed with RCCL on this point as I didn't expect them to offer this.  It is very generous!

Q: What ever happened to the Tic Toc person who came on board to stir up drama.  Luckily, never heard from him except to announce his intentions. I'm not on Tic Toc so maybe I missed it. 

A: I don't think he actually stirred up any drama. At least, not that I'm aware of. I'm not on TicTok, either, so I don't know what he said or is saying. I did see one article that reported him as saying you can't talk about the Titanic on a cruise ship.  What nonsense!  He clearly didn't cruise often. I think he is one of those people who deliberately says stuff he knows isn't true just to get views or whatever.  This cruise probably wasn't as drama-filled or exciting as he thought it would be. It's not a mega-ship, so there's no race cars or tall slides or zip lines or ice skating. It doesn't even have the FlowRider. The vast majority of us are over 50, so there's not a lot of single young people with all the usual stuff that can happen when there are (drinking, dating, breaking up, hooking up, etc.) Most of us are just enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the world.  This is not to say that older people can't behave that way -- it's just less likely that we will.  😉 

Thank you for this post. It is really cool to read your perspective. Even for those of us who are not new to cruising, this is a type of cruise that few of us have any experience with.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Thanks so much for the detailed responses.  I am enjoying learning about "ship life".    

I also enjoy hearing about the ports as well.  We've been to a few more exotic ports (on land or other cruises)  and enjoy reading about the excitement of the passengers as they see such interesting sights.  

Continue to enjoy your unique experience.

M

• Like 4

We're in Busan, South Korea now, so we were not affected by the earthquake in Taiwan. We were just there a few days ago, so it does make you think!  It rained all day in Busan today, so some of the things people wanted to do weren't available due to the weather.  Nonetheless, we got off the ship and rode the subway around, visited a fish and food market, and generally got an idea of what it's like in Busan.  Here are some photos...

IMG_8003.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpg

IMG_8008.jpeg

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7518.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

On 4/1/2024 at 1:36 PM, LadyZolt said:

Hi, Sue!  Here are my answers:

Q:  Are the headliners and ships singers and dancers still up to the same standard as normal for Radiance ships ? Do they change round the pub singer and other 'round the ship' musicians regularly?

A: They have had folkloric shows in many areas around the world, and then will have headliners like a Beatles group who are all from Australia when we were in Australia, or general headliners like magicians, comedians, or singers. But they also have the Royal Caribbean singers repeating the same shows (which I know that's what they know -- but after seeing the same or very similar show two or three times, we don't bother going now). The pub singer and other musicians generally have stayed for a long time. Some of them have changed by now, though. 

Q:  How often are the menu's repeated?

A.  It's a 28 day menu -- you'll usually see the same thing regularly (like a Cesar salad and a strip steak) and then other items appear only once in a while. 

Q: Does the Captain hold regular Q@A sessions?

A:  Both captains have had a few. It's called "Captain's Corner."  With Captain Stig, I think it was just the captain talking, but the two I've gone to with Captain Kjell have also had other officers with him answering questions.  

Q:  Do they have guest lectures?

A:  Regularly, and I consider most of them to have been excellent.  We've had a photographer who is knowledgeable about a variety of topics and world areas; we've had a geologist; we had a husband and wife team who portrayed Presidents and First Ladies who were related to Hawaii becoming a state; and of course many travel experts who talk about what to see and do in the upcoming ports.  Lots of variety of lectures!

Q: And finally as a lowly Diamond on a ship full of Diamond + and Pinnacles is there any chance we'll get to use the Crown Lounge or indeed might the whole Viking Crown area be roped off for happy hour when we join in Barcelona .  We love the Viking Crown bar for a drink pre dinner.

A: Diamonds can use the Crown Lounge. At night, they will divide the area so that the Crown Lounge is larger to accommodate folks.  In the morning, you can get espresso there along with some food items, and they also have evening food items. I was Platinum when we started and I'll be Diamond Plus by the end of April, and I personally have only gone into the Crown Lounge maybe ten times. It didn't ever seem crowded to me. I don't think you'll have a problem enjoying your before-dinner drink.  🙂

Thank you very much Lady Z for the detailed reply.  I find it fascinating to hear about the cruising experience for such a long time.  Can't wait to hear about the African section. 

Looking forward to boarding for our short 16 day stretch.  I think the European sectors are very busy but hope at least the Viking crown Lounge will be open in the evening. 

Love your photos Lady Z!  Thank you for sharing!  Busan looks like a wonderful place to visit!  Glad you made the best of a poor weather day and still enjoyed your visit!

• Like 4