POT smoking on balcony?

On 12/3/2023 at 1:18 PM, Mustang2015 said:

Hello we just got off of Oasis of the seas.   Noticed Pot smell on our balcony at all times.  Even POT smell in public areas and bathrooms.      Overheard some other cruises bragged how easy it was to sneak on some weed in Nassau on board and how Carnival is cracking down and Royal Caribbean is not.    We alerted security they said its like trying to find moving fish in a ocean, difficult to find the violators.   Just curious anyone else noticing this.       I dont have an opinion for people who chose to smoke pot in there own privateplace I do have one in public places like a cruise.    Had a wonderful cruise food was by far the best we had since start up, service was outstanding.

Snitch 🤣🤣

Edited by vision14k
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Snitch 🤣🤣

Yep, I'd snitch, too. I never purchased a balcony when they allowed smoking on the balconies. Now that smoking is forbidden, I expect to be able to enjoy my balcony smoke free. In my 5 cruises (56 days) in 2023, only had an issue once and it didn't occur again after they were spoken to. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Yep, I'd snitch, too. I never purchased a balcony when they allowed smoking on the balconies. Now that smoking is forbidden, I expect to be able to enjoy my balcony smoke free. In my 5 cruises (56 days) in 2023, only had an issue once and it didn't occur again after they were spoken to. 

Everyone should.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Here is Royals legal jargon, and it does not mention smoking pot,, vaping is hidden in the electronic cigarette category.

They need to update their policy 

I wonder if they are being purposefully vague...this gives them more flexibility on how they choose/NOT choose to enforce this.

Teddie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Actually 

Further down in the T&C’s

Marijuana Prohibited

Marijuana, even in its medicinal form or for medicinal purposes, shall be prohibited.

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances Prohibited

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard nor may they be utilized during a Royal Caribbean Group cruise vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at ports of call, during shore excursions or at our private destinations. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated, and Royal Caribbean reserves the right, in its sole discretion to report violations of this prohibition to the appropriate authorities.  Jurisdictions throughout the voyage may have strict laws that address and severely punish drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution in the relevant jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from boarding or re-boarding the ship.

You'd be surprised at how many of us Americans feel that foreign laws don't pertain to us, even while in a foreign country.  It's amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You'd be surprised at how many of us Americans feel that foreign laws don't pertain to us, even while in a foreign country.  It's amazing. 

It's also against US Federal Law which is what the cruise line follows.  You better believed I'd "snitch".  I have no tolerance for those that infringe on others by breaking rules/laws.   

Edited by BND
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It’s not just on cruises. A friend and I were in Denver and she could smell pot through the connecting door. 

I wish I could travel with my cannabis gummies. I have a medical card in Illinois but that doesn’t mean anything any where else. 

46 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If you've ever watched Nat Geo network "To Catch a Smuggler", I don't think Americans have a lock on flaunting foreign laws.

• Like 5

We report any smoke because it’s against the rules and a safety issue.  We see vaping on the ships right in plain view frequently. To clarify they are are holding it covered up in their hands but everyone knows what they are doing.  People will get away with anything they can and don’t believe the rules apply to them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

No one pays for a smoking/vaping balcony, so I'll narc anyone out, no matter what they are smoking or vaping. We've only had to report a cigarette smoker one time and our complaint was handled immediately with a follow up phone call from GS. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you've ever watched Nat Geo network "To Catch a Smuggler", I don't think Americans have a lock on flaunting foreign laws.

We have a friend who was a CBP agent at Dulles.  Occasionally he would post what they had intercepted.  They found some weird stuff being brought in from other countries in checked luggage.  Some by foreign visitors and some by naturalized citizens and green card holders.  Not just drugs, but endangered species parts and live animals (think like small turtles, snakes, etc).   

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Very true.  But, I FEEL, that we, as American Citizens, should be good citizens of the world if we travel abroad.  We shouldn't be the "Ugly Americans".  We should know before we go.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 12:14 PM, crewsweeper said:

Cruise lines home ported in US are under Federal Law, not state law.  Until Federal Law is changed, there won't be separate cannabis lounges. 

AND they enter the waters of other countries where it is not legal.

• Like 1

We boarded the Serenade today and smelled weed as soon as we opened the balcony door. It stopped  within a minute, possibly because they heard our door open. Got back to the cabin at 9 p.m. and could smell it from two different directions. This is the first Royal cruise we have noticed it. 

14 hours ago, BND said:

We have a friend who was a CBP agent at Dulles.  Occasionally he would post what they had intercepted.  They found some weird stuff being brought in from other countries in checked luggage.  Some by foreign visitors and some by naturalized citizens and green card holders.  Not just drugs, but endangered species parts and live animals (think like small turtles, snakes, etc).   

We worked with CBP at SFO for a training. It was amazing how many people were asked repeatedly about prohibited items, denied it repeatedly, and they were fined on the spot when it was found. And then they wanted their stuff back...because they had paid. 🙄

The weirdest one was the guy with the cooked, large, entire iguana in his suitcase with his clothes. It was in a plastic bag, and legal, because it was cooked, but still...eeww ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

I really hope you can get a resolve onboard and this does not stop you using your balcony and ruin your enjoyment 

Nancy 

We can see a very small portion of a public deck below us from our center hump balcony because of the structure of the ship, and that is exactly where someone chose to stand to smoke. Impossible to tell where the other balcony is located, and would take too much negative energy to pursue it in any case. Best for us to just ignore it while continuing to enjoy the balcony. 

27 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We can see a very small portion of a public deck below us from our center hump balcony because of the structure of the ship, and that is exactly where someone chose to stand to smoke. Impossible to tell where the other balcony is located, and would take too much negative energy to pursue it in any case. Best for us to just ignore it while continuing to enjoy the balcony. 

I understand your point about trying to ignore it and enjoy the balcony but I'm not sure I could. I just can't stand the smell. And I suspect more the price of that balcony goes up the more my tolerance will go down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We usually do our morning walks on the outer Promenade deck, 5 I believe it is.  Have not been on Serenade for awhile, though we will be on for a bit on Sunday.  😉   Is it still set up as smoking on that outer deck on one side?  I always had a tough time walking past the line of smokers down there.  But indeed, I have had the hump balconies before and seem to catch the smell coming up from there.  

I can see where the pot heads will try to light up there as well, hoping no one knows the difference between regular cigarettes and skunk weed.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

I can see where the pot heads will try to light up there as well, hoping no one knows the difference between regular cigarettes and skunk weed.  😉 

Yeah, because we are all too stupid to know the difference as they all blend in so well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, doghog said:

No one pays for a smoking/vaping balcony, so I'll narc anyone out, no matter what they are smoking or vaping. We've only had to report a cigarette smoker one time and our complaint was handled immediately with a follow up phone call from GS. 

I’ve only had to go to GS twice for smoking on the balcony. 

once when the neighbors were openly smoking on the balcony, and when I said it’s not allowed, they said so what…..so I took their pictures and went right down to GS. I heard a knock on their door a few minutes later. Problem solved.

Another time neighbors were smoking all the time on the balcony and were so comfortable they just left their ashtray on the table with the butts in it.  I took a picture to GS and soon after I heard a knock on their door.  They denied it was their ashtray, and said the room attendant must have put it there.  Problem solved

The reason I go to GS about this is I don’t want the ship to catch on fire. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1