More changes ( email from Celebrity)

patty1955

16 hours ago, jshli said:

I thought the current policy was cancellation allowed 48 hours before shore excursion takes place and new policy is cancellation is allowed 48 hours before arrival at port. I think this only affects cruises that stay overnight in a port.

That is what I thought the policy was.  It does have an affect on cruises other than overnight.

If the excursion is at 1PM but the ship arrives at 6AM then the cutoff is now 6AM (before the cruise desk usually opens) 2 days before instead of 1 PM 2 days before.

Not a very big deal but an annoyance.

This really isn't any different than many shore based tour companies.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

... I don't think this change in policy will change anything for Celebrity or most guests.

Probably mostly those that book three or four excursions for the same time and then wait to chose which one they really want to go on. Now they will have to decide two days out instead of one.

23 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

They don't add excursions 2 days before the port.  You will still have plenty of time to cancel and change if things are added farther out.

If you buy advance tickets for anything else in life (zoo tickets, theatre, sports events) do you have the right to cancel for a refund, especially less than 48 hours before the event?  Excursions are really no different.  I don't think this change in policy will change anything for Celebrity or most guests.

The tickets types you listed are an apples to oranges comparison. Excursions really ARE different. All of the tickets you mention can be resold at short notice, often at a profit (well maybe not Zoo tickets, but I don't think I would be purchasing those in advance without same day cancellation available). I don't think I have ever booked a private tour that has a cruise ship sponsored analog without a 24 hour free cancellation policy. I realize there are some excursions with longer cancellation policies, but typically the cruise ship analog will also have those added restrictions. Ship sponsored tours are nice as a way to use up OBC, if the tour is a long one arriving back close to all aboard, or travels a fair distance away from the ship, as these are instances where the ship guarantee may give some peace of mind. I see this as nothing but a money grab to prevent people from canceling the day before if the weather is predicted to be marginal. 

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

Yes, it will be new starting the first of the year.  The previous policy was 24 hours.  

Does your travel insurance cover missed excursions if you are sick?  (I haven't looked that closely at mine but in my opinion, this is what I would expect to handle cancellations due to illness after the deadline.) 

I considered checking insurance for payment but the ship refunded as soon as I cancelled... good question. 

52 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Probably mostly those that book three or four excursions for the same time and then wait to chose which one they really want to go on. Now they will have to decide two days out instead of one.

I have to disagree. 
Booking multiple excursions planning to cancel all but one, seems to me to have very little benefit for the upfront cost. 
I mean, imagine losing track and missing the window, whether it be 24 or 48 hours. That could cost thousands. 

Excursions are either too expensive to play that game, or you have so much extra cash you don’t mind throwing money away because you overslept. 

51 minutes ago, scanditaly said:

If I am correct, the change is from three days out down to two. Can anyone corroborate this? Please don’t tell me to go look it up, I am feeling very lazy presently. Lol. 

It's from one day out to two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DieselkW said:

We will simply cancel now, and find a better tour provider to share a chunk of our vacation dollars. 

That’s what’s great about a free market (except on the private island lol). If you find another offering that better meets your needs, take that. If Celebrity loses too much business because their terms or prices are uncompetitive then they’re free to be more competitive. 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, realnice46 said:

You missed the point I agree that they can change rules but not to things booked prior to the change. Obviously I know I can cancel. How would you feel if you prepaid drinks or tips etc. and then they raised the price and you had to pay higher price?

What price was raised by this new policy? 

4 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

People seem pretty passionate about this but in this really such a big change and such a big deal ?

Is this really an item being taken away from passengers ?

Not seeing this

I suppose it isn't if you never book shore excursions with Celebrity or you book every shore excursion with Celebrity and never look back.  For those of us who research, an excursion may be available in say March and you book it.  But then a few more open up and you can't cancel and switch because of this new rule.  So yes, in scenarios such as these, it IS a big deal.  I will use my example.  I had Hideaway beach booked on CocoCay but wanted to see reviews.  If the reviews showed that this may not be the spot for me, I would most definitely cancel.  With the new policy, I'm stuck.  So this am, I already cancelled until it gets closer to my sail date and then will read and watch reviews.  I may end up buying the pass and I may not.  At least now I am not stuck with a potentially crappy excursion.

25 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I suppose it isn't if you never book shore excursions with Celebrity or you book every shore excursion with Celebrity and never look back.  For those of us who research, an excursion may be available in say March and you book it.  But then a few more open up and you can't cancel and switch because of this new rule.  So yes, in scenarios such as these, it IS a big deal.  I will use my example.  I had Hideaway beach booked on CocoCay but wanted to see reviews.  If the reviews showed that this may not be the spot for me, I would most definitely cancel.  With the new policy, I'm stuck.  So this am, I already cancelled until it gets closer to my sail date and then will read and watch reviews.  I may end up buying the pass and I may not.  At least now I am not stuck with a potentially crappy excursion.

How often have you made those switches between 48 and 24 hours of the port?  How often does Celebrity open up new excursions in that time frame that are not the result of others’ cancellations (which will now be pushed back 24 hours with the new policy)?

I’ve canceled and booked new excursions plenty of times but never that close to arriving in the port. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Confined to quarters due to illness contracted on board, you should be reimbursed the cost of your excursion. In the past I have been reimbursed for the missed excursion as well as a goodwill payment for missed enjoyment of the "cruise day."

I would ask to see Shore Excursions Manager.

16 minutes ago, prmssk said:

How often have you made those switches between 48 and 24 hours of the port?  How often does Celebrity open up new excursions in that time frame that are not the result of others’ cancellations (which will now be pushed back 24 hours with the new policy)?

I’ve canceled and booked new excursions plenty of times but never that close to arriving in the port. 

My error.  I just reread policy.  Shows I should not read my emails that early in am without coffee.  So, to answer your question, never.  I misinterpreted that it was 24 hours AFTER the excursion was booked.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I misinterpreted that it was 24 hours AFTER the excursion was booked.  

Now THAT would be a problem, I would agree.

I guess you will be rebooking your cancelled shorex?  Hopefully it wasn't on sale back then for a price you can't get now.

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Now THAT would be a problem, I would agree.

I guess you will be rebooking your cancelled shorex?  Hopefully it wasn't on sale back then for a price you can't get now.

Probably not as it was Hideaway at CocoCay.  I still want to read and see reviews.

6 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

People seem pretty passionate about this but in this really such a big change and such a big deal ?

Is this really an item being taken away from passengers ?

Not seeing this

If it isn't a big deal, why are they doing it? 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

If it isn't a big deal, why are they doing it? 🙂

Because it gives them 24 hours more to fill spots from cancellations.  This allows them to make a little more money on shore excursions.  It also might lessen the effect on passengers in situations like @jelayne mentioned in post 34.

Celebrity Cruises has reached out to guests to let them know that the shore tour cancellation policy has been changed, effective January 1, 2024.

Guests will now need to cancel their tours earlier (48 hrs) to receive a refund, but certain excursions do have different policies and much different cancellation windows.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Because it gives them 24 hours more to fill spots from cancellations.  This allows them to make a little more money on shore excursions.  It also might lessen the effect on passengers in situations like @jelayne mentioned in post 34.

If the excursion is cancelled onboard in the 48 hr period, there seems to be many people who don't book until they sail and have a look at what's available.  As I said in prior post, I had to cancel 3 excursions in one day due to illness;  they were almost immediately booked when I checked availability on X internet.  I don't see them making money on these...the pricing was almost the same.  I think it's more of a scheduling problem for the tour operator with the ship having to cancel and hopefully rebook passengers.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, Cruise till you drop said:

We received a very odd letter by email from Celebrity about a seemingly new 48 hour rule prior to port arrival to cancel shore excursions 

Did anyone else get this?  Does anyone know if this is new or important?

IMG_3367.jpeg

We received the same email regarding our January trip