Shuttle from Port to FLL Airport-WAITLISTED?

CruiserKris34

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It never happened to me in Fort Lauderdale but not running the meter is prettry common in Baltimore. When it happens I don’t add a tip. When I get in taxis in Fort Lauderdale I make it pretty obvious I am watching the meter, I lean over and look at it, so perhaps that’s why the never pulled that trick. 

Especially in 2021, they would tell you 30 seconds after you departed with them, "fixed price of $20"

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Especially in 2021, they would tell you 30 seconds after you departed with them, "fixed price of $20"

I just got off the Silhouette November 30th and taxi driver said $25, so that's what I gave him. I had an 11 am flight home to Canada which I didn't want to miss.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off the Silhouette November 30th and taxi driver said $25, so that's what I gave him. I had an 11 am flight home to Canada which I didn't want to miss.

Some drivers count on tourists just going along. That does not work with me. I told a driver once in Baltimore when he dropped me off at Baltimore Penn station that all he was getting was what I gave him and there was nothing he could do because he had not turned on the meter. I could have given him zero. I had stuff like that happen in DC at Union Station and they had to accept what I gave them. They can't protest when they don't have the meter on. If a driver wants to turn off the meter and charge a flat rate they have to ask me first. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Try saying, "I only have a $20 bill or else I'll have to use a credit card."   See how quickly they take the $20.   

That is a good idea and I will keep it in mind but I probably won't mention the credit card.  They might take me up on that. They are not supposed to charge a  flat rate there so can only cus me out if they pull that flat rate scam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is a good idea and I will keep it in mind but I probably won't mention the credit card.  They might take me up on that. They are not supposed to charge a  flat rate there so can only cus me out if they pull that flat rate scam. 

The only positive about the flat rate is you're nearly guaranteed they'll get there the fastest.  When metered, while I doubt they'd drive you around town, they may avoid some shortcuts

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The only positive about the flat rate is you're nearly guaranteed they'll get there the fastest.  When metered, while I doubt they'd drive you around town, they may avoid some shortcuts

I tell you those taxi drivers in Lauderdale drive like bats out of H***

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know this post is about FLL, but what about MIA? Thanks to flight changes, our flight home out of MIA on a Friday from PE is at 11:30am. If we do self-carry and walk out, will we be able to get a taxi to MIA and make it in plenty of time? If so, any idea how much it'll cost?

Thanks.

Edited by 2Long2NxtCrz
typo

Why ae you wasting your time and money on a crowded overpriced Celebrity Shuttle?  We always use Uber and last June it cost $24 with tip total for 3 of us to go from the ship to FLL airport. Celebrity wanted $16pp for their shuttle.

• Like 1

Going to the cruise port a cab or Uber works well yet sometimes the Uber driver doesn't really know where to go - not really an issue because I do. However, leaving the cruise port I always find it easier to find a cab than try to figure out which Uber is for me. It depends on where one is traveling, but it is no fun to schlep my luggage to the ride share location when jet lagged and then trying to find my driver along with hundreds of other wary travelers when a cab is just off the baggage claim area. I love to save a few bucks and sometimes it is worth it to pay for convenience.

• Thanks 1

We never had any taxi issues from. the beach area or the 17th St hotels. 

Recently we drive over a day ahead from the west coast, Fl.,   and park at our pre cruise hotel, and  then garage at the port..no access issues. 

The garage for the E Class terminal  is a hike,  so we drop our luggage to the porter and  I get dropped off with our carryons.  My husb circles back to the garage..and then meets me at the ship's entrance.

• Thanks 1

We took the bus to FLL last January because we had OBC to burn.  I would not recommend.  I don't think there were actual chickens on the bus but it had that sort of 3rd world feel.  Sat for a long time, getting dropped off at the airport was chaos.  Uber or taxi is the way.

Edited by bap335i
clarification
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I know this post is about FLL, but what about MIA? Thanks to flight changes, our flight home out of MIA on a Friday from PE is at 11:30am. If we do self-carry and walk out, will we be able to get a taxi to MIA and make it in plenty of time? If so, any idea how much it'll cost?

Thanks.

Probably.  Could cost $100 for that ride, though. A very long ride.  Cruise lines recommend Miami flights no earlier than around 12:30 in Port Everglades.  You might want to look into the various shuttle companies.

57 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Probably.  Could cost $100 for that ride, though. A very long ride.  Cruise lines recommend Miami flights no earlier than around 12:30 in Port Everglades.  You might want to look into the various shuttle companies.

Thanks, I did an estimate and decided it wasn't worth the worry so I hired a car service. It's not that much more for the peace of mind.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:27 AM, SRch said:

We just took the shuttle from port Everglades because we’re going to Miami airport. It was chaos! We were off the ship at 8:30 ish and we didn’t get to the airport until almost noon. The FLL shuttles went first but for $24.99 per person it is way less hassle and 1/2 the price to just catch a cab. We will never do the shuttle again even to Miami. Cab or Uber. Wont do hotel shuttles to port anymore either. I’m not sure what they were charging but our Uber from Crown plaza was $6+ tip.

How can a ride that's 15 minutes take you 3.5 hours?

On 12/11/2023 at 2:25 PM, drakes2 said:

I don't bother with uber as too expensive. When I put in the app and converted to Canadian currency would have cost me $44 to airport so I took a cab for 20 bucks. Last year used uber from FLL to the Hilton and the driver came from Miami we waited 45 minutes then he charged me waiting time as he parked in wrong area. I went through the app and got a credit for my wait time. 

Why wait that long if you see the driver isn't near? Cancel immediately.

A reliable Car Service fron FLL to Miami is worth it.  We flew in for a weekend wedding in Miami..had various airline delays and arrived right at prime time rush hour..( a nightmare).

Our Car service driver that we hired at the airport limo line knew many shortcuts and got us to the our hotel in  Coral Gables in time for the  pre wedding dinner!  

For a trip like that best to take the pvt car..no meter, flat fee..you pay  ahead to the dispatcher,  and then its just the tip. 

To Fll airport from Pt Ev.or post cruise hotel, .we would take a cab. but agree on flat fare pricing ahead.. 

With taxi  and uber woes such as those mentioned above, maybe the hotel shuttle is not such a bad deal!

Edited by hcat