Love Royal but DIRE UPSETTING crew conditions - worse than others

cusematt4

With all due respect...

Keep in mind crew does not live in US, so salary they make about $1200 (now probably $1500 a month), to around $2500 or more for customer facing crew are good money.

I know it is difficult to comprehend, but in many countries $500 could be a very good unprofessional salary. Realestate, childcare, healthcare etc could be free or very low. 

Note: I am originally from one of countries crew is hired (probably less now). People were buying 1-2 room condos unless it is in their capital after several contracts. In cash. With a war I hope they are still standing, but still...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Great point, ha.  I gave fellow cruisers the benefit of doubt of hoping we could agree on basic communication for staff when away from their families for so long, with no days off.

Silly me I guess for hoping we could all agree on a bare minimum standard of treatment and communication for those away from home making astronomically below minimum wage.

They do get time off.   Haven't you ever seen crew hanging around port areas that offer free internet?   

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh.  Also it’s a little absurd the staff have to pay for their required to wear uniforms.  If rcl is making them wear these outfits, it would be nice for them to at least provide them.  Just very disappointed in and upset about a company that goes above and beyond for its customers and is otherwise such an impressive high quality inspirational company.

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They do get time off.   Haven't you ever seen crew hanging around port areas that offer free internet?   

That is within their allocated 10 hours a day that is meant for sleep.  Crew members who get 10s earn a few extra hours off a week I’ve been told. 

18 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

... a company that goes above and beyond for its customers and is otherwise such an impressive high quality inspirational company.

Are we still talking about Royal? Do you read the posts regarding dire food quality in the MDR, service declines, etc? You seem to be kissing up to Royal with one side of your mouth while complaining about something that you could easily fix. Maybe you are spending too much of your cruise time distracting staff from doing their jobs with conversations to notice what is going on around you.

• Like 4

On some ships the daily meals are charged to some employees at a rate of 83 cents a day. I’ve heard many complaints about the variety of options for meals, but never about internet access. 

btw: couldn’t they give me internet access for free, I’m a paying customer. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Oh.  Also it’s a little absurd the staff have to pay for their required to wear uniforms.  If rcl is making them wear these outfits, it would be nice for them to at least provide them.  Just very disappointed in and upset about a company that goes above and beyond for its customers and is otherwise such an impressive high quality inspirational company.

Generally workers pay for their work clothes whether it is a uniform or not. Most airline workers, passenger rail workers pay for their uniforms. Pay for the cleaning too. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 5

I would be interested in knowing the age range of the OP.

I would be surprised if they were over 30, it seems to be a real disconnect between what is unreasonable and actually a hardship, these days.

Let's sit down with some veterans (vfw) and listen to some stories about real hardships and things people have lived thru (most not voluntarily)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Maybe you are spending too much of your cruise time distracting staff from doing their jobs with conversations to notice what is going on around you.

Every few years someone on Cruise Critic posts some sob story about pay and conditions they heard from a crew member they befriended.  I expect the ones who put on a good act get bigger tips the better they shock their mark. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure crew are very aware of how their peers are treated and compensated on other cruise lines so if they believe other lines provide better pay or working conditions they can literally jump ship and book their next contract with another line.  If enough crew left Royal would have to improve compensation in order to stay in business.  Sadly they would most likely just raise grat charges again.

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Seems a bit hypocritical that you are complaining this much about them yet you will continue to patronize them.

Par for the course around here....plenty of folks complaining that whichever cruise line they are complaining about (obviously Royal on this board) is unethical, lying, fraudulent, etc.  And by God they'll stop cruising with them once the (1, 2, 6, etc.) cruises they have deposits on are done!

The sunk cost hypocrites are quite comical.  "I have a $500 deposit that I'll lose, so I'd much rather give another couple grand to a fraudulent, unethical company than put my money where my mouth is and eat the deposit."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Husky1987 said:

Par for the course around here....plenty of folks complaining that whichever cruise line they are complaining about (obviously Royal on this board) is unethical, lying, fraudulent, etc.  And by God they'll stop cruising with them once the (1, 2, 6, etc.) cruises they have deposits on are done!

People are conservative and cannot leave line they are complaining about because they are proud to be LOYAL whatever this means. LOL.

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would be curious to know if there is any other industry where the patrons spend so much time meddling in the employer-employee relationship.

Do you buy your employees clothing to wear to work and pay for laundry? 😉

I'm kidding of course.

I'm on the same page as you. The only thing I can think of is that cruising - more than any other vacation destination - the crew members treat the passengers like BFF's and family.  And most passengers respond in kind. You see it all the time here on CC. "Say hi to my favorite bartender/server/cabin attendant Tell them that <*insert name here *> misses them".  Or "I can't wait to get back on my favorite ship & give my cabin attendant toys to give to their children".

And all that is wonderful and nice and the world needs more niceness. And I'm sure much of it is sincere. But let's be clear - they are being paid to be nice. I doubt I will be invited to their kids wedding & I doubt they will be attending my kids wedding.  BFF's we are not.  Once I'm off the ship, there is another BFF taking my place.

I know it sounds cynical and I'm sure someone that cruises 36+ weeks a year is going to tell me how wrong I am.  But that's the only logical explanation I can come with as to why so many take a vested interest in the employer-employee relationship on cruise ships.  My mailman, deli clerk and local highway department has more of an impact on my life & I don't go asking them about their pay & benefits. I doubt many do.

JMHO, YMMV, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newcruzer2 said:

I would be interested in knowing the age range of the OP.

I would be surprised if they were over 30, it seems to be a real disconnect between what is unreasonable and actually a hardship, these days.

Let's sit down with some veterans (vfw) and listen to some stories about real hardships and things people have lived thru (most not voluntarily)

I am 40 and have traveled the world.  I again am truly appalled by the ridiculing and backlash I’m getting for merely being saddened that the crew are paid a bare minimum wage without tips, while being disappointed they can’t at least be provided limited wifi to keep in touch with those they sacrifice for 8 months a year.  I thought that we could express our feelings and concerns here, whether good, bad or constructive.

I have heard that the crew gets a set wage and our “gratuities” simply make up a part of that. Anything we don’t pay, RCL pays. So really our gratuities are just reducing RCL’s payroll and not additional to their salary as we are led to believe. Does anyone know the validity of that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

I am 40 and have traveled the world.  I again am truly appalled by the ridiculing and backlash I’m getting for merely being saddened that the crew are paid a bare minimum wage without tips, while being disappointed they can’t at least be provided limited wifi to keep in touch with those they sacrifice for 8 months a year.  I thought that we could express our feelings and concerns here, whether good, bad or constructive.

Your heart is in the right place. No doubt about that.  But most of those cruise ship employees know what they are signing up for. They are making far more money then they would back in the home country & they decide its' worth the sacrifice.  And once the contract is up, most will resign to stay on. For years. Some are supporting family back home, some are saving to buy a house and others are just stock piling money so they can live a comfortable life once they quit the cruise ship industry.  Remember, they also have minimal expenses during that 8 months contact. And that's' their choice.

To be clear, i could never do it, even in my young and careless days. But that's my choice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was a little surprised employees had to buy their own clothes for special things. Not even sure how it came up though I do often talk to the crew. Those caribbean shirts they wear they buy themselves. Very proud of them so compliment them when you see one you like. 

Wonderland that uniform to me a little more complicated so I was surprised they are expected to pay for that too. Costs more than wifi. I'm sure it is a hard job. No doubt about it. 

As far as those McDonald workers mentioned above jan 1st 25 states raised minimum wage for 2024. Used to be a kids job not supposed to support a family. Times have changed.

I think we can all agree working on a cruise ship is hard work. Im not sure we all agree what extra is necessary for rcl to provide. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Areya220 said:

I have heard that the crew gets a set wage and our “gratuities” simply make up a part of that. Anything we don’t pay, RCL pays. So really our gratuities are just reducing RCL’s payroll and not additional to their salary as we are led to believe. Does anyone know the validity of that?

When a crew member whose position puts them in the "DSC pool" signs on the ship, they sign a contract that clearly states that their compensation will be $xxxx/month, but this is based on performance, as some of it is made up by base salary and some by "DSC contributions".  So, they know, in advance (and this is told to them when hired, before getting to the ship), that their compensation is variable, depending on the performance of the whole "DSC team".  Their compensation is "fixed" only if the ship is sailing at 100% capacity, and all DSC is paid in full.  Now, if the ship is over 100% capacity, and all DSC is paid, they can make more than their contracted compensation.

Now, a cabin steward makes a total compensation of about $1200-1500/month.  The base wage would be about $200-300/month (up from pre Maritime Labor Convention days of about $60/month), and the balance made up of "DSC contributions" (distribution of the DSC pool among all the team members)(which in the pre MLC days was the voluntary cash tips paid directly by the passenger)

Now, there is a statutory minimum wage for all seafarers of $765/month.  Depending on how much DSC is removed by the passengers, the cabin steward's pay could vary from $1200-1500/month, all the way down (theoretically if all DSC is removed) to $200-300/month.  The only time the cruise line has to make up this difference is when the overall compensation (base wage and DSC) drops below the $765/month figure, and only up to that figure.  So, the crew know that their compensation is dependent on the passengers paying the DSC, or their compensation can vary from $1200-1500/month down to $765/month.

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Remember, they also have minimal expenses during that 8 months contact.

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Some are supporting family back home

These are the two contradicting situations that get trotted out a lot when discussing crew wages.  Yes, the crew member gets free room and board, but unless they are living in their parents' basement, they are likely paying rent on an apartment that is sitting empty while on the ship (unless they throw out all their belongings each time the go to work, or pack it all up and pay for storage), and if they have a family, that family continues to have expenses while the crew member is working.  And, the crew get next to nothing in pay for time between contracts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I follow the Crew Center website.  It can be an eye opener as most of the posts are from cruise crew members from many different cruise lines.  It is looked at by some of the RCI executives as Dave Bailey once responded to a RCI crew member's comment.

After a time, patterns appear.  RCI tends to get overall good comments.  Not all major cruise lines do.  Royal has their issues, but, at least from these crew comments, they are better than most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is an industry standard, and based on the statutory requirements for work/rest hours.  They get 10 hours of rest per 24 hours, minimum, of which one period cannot be less than 6 hours.  So, getting 7 hours off is above the requirements, and pretty typical for all lines. 

You have the USMMA insignia. My friend just got off the Nimitz from the roughly year long deployment they did and then six weeks went off and is going God knows where now. The FGO I know never got more than 7 straight hours off. It was actually pretty awful from the stories I've been told. Then, pretty much the worse cruise cabin on any passenger ship any CC reader has ever been on is better than staying in the berthings on an aircraft carrier where they're shooting off (the less noisy side) and landing (the more noisy side) aircraft at all hours of the day and night. I don't say this lightly, but you soon realize why the suicide rate is what it is at sea.

Edited by Mike07