American Diner free??

Copied from the NCL website. 

American Diner

Pull up a chair at the casual diner and order from a diverse selection of comfort foods, including burgers, fried chicken and more. Experience a slice of Americana, including classic American cars, with every bite.

Note: Effective February 13, 2024, American Diner will transition to complimentary dining experience.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, garnet115 said:

It’s in my planner for next week on the Getaway as complimentary. Menu looks very similar - but not identical - to osheehans.

Are you on the Bermuda cruise on the 12th?

• Like 1

Just checked it on the app for our Getaway cruise to Bermuda next week. App shows complimentary. And has a sample menu. Milkshake has a $7 charge. Lobster slider is gone.

• Like 1

Rather surprised it took this long for them to make it complimentary.  Over the last several years I know of no one who paid to dine there via the shops who sported the American Diner!  

I ate there once.  But it was free on ONLY the first sailing day while sailing in the Haven!  No one was there aside from me even then!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

The new menu is completely different. It is now basic offerings

Indeed! I was looking forward to trying the old menu on our upcoming sailing on the Joy, but this one not as much.

Posted (edited)

it's showing as complimentary for my cruise later this month on the getaway.

i have to disagree with those who've said that this looks like the o'sheehan's (and the local) menu... while there are a few dishes that are the same or similar, many of the items in every category are different and, in some cases, unique. smoked fish dip, pulled pork sliders, chicken pot pie, meat loaf, bread pudding, chocolate mousse. i don't remember seeing those at the local or o'sheehan's, but i could be wrong.

it's not the old american diner menu, that's for sure, (and not just because the lobster sliders are gone), and, yes, there is an up-charge for the milkshakes, but i think this is a place that i would eat on more than one occasion. previously, the only time i ate at at the american diner was on embarkation day, as a haven guest. add pizza, allow takeaway, and make the joint 24 hours and i'd be a very happy camper. (i do also wonder if they will be open for a light complimentary breakfast, as they have been on some ships.)

this should make the MDRs more manageable on sea days on crowded ships. at least it should, once people find out about it. but the american diner on some ships is rather trucked away and inconveniently located, so some people never even come across this venue.  

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

i have to disagree with those who've said that this looks like the o'sheehan's (and the local) menu... while there are a few dishes that are the same or similar, many of the items in every category are different and, in some cases, unique. smoked fish dip, pulled pork sliders, chicken pot pie, meat loaf, bread pudding, chocolate mousse. i don't remember seeing those at the local or o'sheehan's, but i could be wrong.

O’Sheehans used to do a Chicken Pot Pie, which was one of my favourites. I’d go to American Diner to try theirs out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Rather surprised it took this long for them to make it complimentary.  Over the last several years I know of no one who paid to dine there via the shops who sported the American Diner!  

I ate there once.  But it was free on ONLY the first sailing day while sailing in the Haven!  No one was there aside from me even then!

I was on the Joy in November and it was closed, at least whenever I passed by.  On previous cruises, I'd stop in if I had OBC to burn.  I enjoyed their milkshakes; everything else was just OK.  Hopefully, they'll be open for breakfast and lunch.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gravitar said:

This shows as complimentary for my cruise next week.

Screenshot_20240102_232928_Norwegian.jpg

Shows the same for my January 27 cruise on the Bliss.

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Very nice!  What ships is American Diner on?

I believe on many of the Breakaway and Breakaway+ ships, if not all of them.  It replaced the Margaritaville venue when the contract ended.

• Like 1

When we were on the Getaway last February they gave us $250 OBC because we never did get to Bermuda.  So we went to the American Diner and had two lobster rolls.  They were the worst lobster rolls we ever had.  The bread was hard and it looked like it was shrimp instead of lobster.  We did complain and they did give us back the credit for one but refused to on the other.

• Haha 1

I was thinking this might have me trying it on my cruise, but then I remembered how so many people said the burgers at The Local were better than at American Diner...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

don't know how long it has been the case, but it looks like the American Diner is now complimentary.  Guess I'll try it out on my next cruise since I never had before.  Any recommendations for what to try?  The pull pork sliders and the wrangler burger are both looking good to me

Will make a great extra complimentary choice for lunch.  Assuming it is still free when we next cruise on ship that has an American cafe in Dec I will be trying the meatloaf and the chicken pot pie.

I hope they expand  American Diner further to include a sit down breakfast.   No use having AD there and not getting use out of it.

ETA:  The smoked fish dip is another added item that may be worth a try as well.

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, logan25 said:

I will be looking for reports of any menu changes.  Do you really expect lobster roll sliders will remain complimentary?  I don’t.

Very true. It is surprising that people seem to think that NCL would make a specialty restaurant complimentary while keeping the menu the same.

I would fully expect to see a "new" menu to roll out with this change.

2 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Will make a great extra complimentary choice for lunch.  Assuming it is still free when we next cruise on ship that has an American cafe in Dec I will be trying the meatloaf and the chicken pot pie.

I hope they expand  American Diner further to include a sit down breakfast.   No use having AD there and not getting use out of it.

They already use it for a small buffet breakfast and it's pretty good.

I doubt they'd make it a full fledged sit down breakfast.

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

I was thinking this might have me trying it on my cruise, but then I remembered how so many people said the burgers at The Local were better than at American Diner...

I was wondering how the burgers were compared to the Local.  I get mine topped with pastrami at the Local, so that may still keep me going there since I don't see pastrami on the American Diner menu

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

They already use it for a small buffet breakfast and it's pretty good.

I doubt they'd make it a full fledged sit down breakfast.

The one and only time we sailed on RCL years ago they had a Johnny Rockets that reminded us of American Cafe.  They had a nice limited menu of hot breakfast dishes that we enjoyed.  Something like that would be great on NCL.

We have had the small buffet breakfast in the past at American Cafe and TBH unless you were in a hurry there was not much there.

We sail on Saturday on the Escape. We sail the Haven so usually embarkation day we eat there for lunch only because it its free. On my NCL App still shows al a cart. Which I am happy because the current menu is pretty good, now i would never pay those prices for American Diner but embarkation day lunch for free I will take it. 

5 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

The one and only time we sailed on RCL years ago they had a Johnny Rockets that reminded us of American Cafe.  They had a nice limited menu of hot breakfast dishes that we enjoyed.  Something like that would be great on NCL.

We have had the small buffet breakfast in the past at American Cafe and TBH unless you were in a hurry there was not much there.

In my experience, NCL has more options for breakfast than I remember any of the rccl ships I sailed on, although I don't remember Johnny Rockets having breakfast items.

Full buffet, dining room, Local/Osheehans and the small buffet at American Diner.

And we've frequented the American diner breakfast buffet probably 2 times on each of our last few sailings. It's a fine alternative with plenty to choose from.

I'm certainly happy to have it now be complimentary for the rest of the day too.

• Like 1

It's about time. 

Being an American my opinion is possibly different than folks in other countries, (meaning the fare is not unique or different from what's around me), but from looking at the menu... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a  place with the same menu around me... why on Earth would I pay for it as a unique'ish Speciality Restaurant? 

Yes, there are Steakhouses, Italian restaurants, and Brazilian Steakhouses around me too... but I'll pay for them as a Speciality Restaurant... but pay extra for burgers, dogs, and mozzarella sticks? No way.

Just my opinion of course. 

• Like 5