Music Hall on Anthem of the Seas ?

Boss Lady and I are hoping for a Rock & Roll venue on Anthem, heard there was a show called "We will rock you", and thought a tribute to the band Queen, you tubed it and thought "what the heck is this ?". So, now hoping we can find somewhere to go listen to a rock band, been on NCL and enjoyed Syd Normans, for those of you who know Syd's know what it is we seek, do we have a chance of finding something similar on Anthem ?.

• Like 1

Never been on NCL so don't know about Syn Normans however we were on Anthem Dec 17 - 24. In the main threater they have We Will Rock You which is a boardway show with a bunch of Queen songs. The music is live but the "band" is for the most part hidden from view. If you can get by the campy plot it is a lot of fun. The  Music Hall is where live bands usually preform. It's a two story setup with lots of good seating. On our cruise there was a very good band called the Iconic Band and we really enjoyed them. They played most nights and by the second set the place was packed. Don't know if they are still onboard but if they are they are worth checking out. Be sure to arrive a little early to get good seats. Have a great cruise.

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

Boss Lady and I are hoping for a Rock & Roll venue on Anthem, heard there was a show called "We will rock you", and thought a tribute to the band Queen, you tubed it and thought "what the heck is this ?". So, now hoping we can find somewhere to go listen to a rock band, been on NCL and enjoyed Syd Normans, for those of you who know Syd's know what it is we seek, do we have a chance of finding something similar on Anthem ?.

We Will Rock You is a Broadway production in the main theater, performed by live musicians and singers/dancers. It's one of the best shows at sea if you like rock music (and Queen). This may be the confusion about a "Queen Cover Band"?  Not to worry if you think this is going to be a lame musical - Brian May endorses it, and has even appeared in some live performances of the show on land. This is a great tribute to Freddie and worth a look-see.

The Music Hall will schedule live band(s) thru your cruise. There may be a rotating visiting band on board, but you'd have to check closer to sail time. Unfortunately, I have seen that tribute/cover bands have been missing from my last couple of sailings, in which case a Royal created "rock band" performs as the house band. Still a good show of course, they'll touch on all the classic favorites! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I actually thought We Will Rock You was a terrible musical (a common opinion of the show) but the music was still great! Just ignore the ridiculous plot, bad acting, and lack of chemistry between the current leads (I’m not sure the bad writing could be helped by better actors, though). 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 1

I think We Will Rock You is an excellent cruise show!  Have seen it ten times and will miss it when Anthem leaves NJ.  A common opinion is most people enjoy the show, unless you dislike the music of Queen.  I guess we were lucky having great casts!

• Like 2

I thought We Will Rock You was pretty good, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it again. I'm kind of that way about most Broadway-style shows, tbh. I enjoy them, but one and done is fine.

9 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

Never been on NCL so don't know about Syn Normans however we were on Anthem Dec 17 - 24. In the main threater they have We Will Rock You which is a boardway show with a bunch of Queen songs.

More like a bunch of songs by Queen were selected to form a musical. The story line is a stretch but not having seen WWRY between January 2017 and November 2023, it is much improved with the use of the video screen on stage.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

More like a bunch of songs by Queen were selected to form a musical.

Standard operating procedure for jukebox musicals (Mamma Mia, American Idiot, Jagged Little Pill, the forthcoming Heart of Rock & Roll...) that use one artist or group's catalog for an invented story.

It's a similar use of a catalog of music but telling the performers' stories like Jersey Boys, Ain't Too Proud, On Your Feet, Tina, Summer, MJ, Beautiful, The Cher Show, and whatever the Neil Diamond show is called.

Just off Anthem yesterday. The band Iconic was still on board and is excellent. We never found a seat when they played, but we didn't go early.

WWRY is still very enjoyable in my opinion as I love Queen music. I've seen it several times on Anthem and the performers have always been excellent.

Syd Norman's is a more intimate venue than the Music Hall on Anthem. There is a sizable dance floor between the stage and the bar and the space is frequently used for game shows, non-rock type dance music and just people sitting and watching. Upstairs in the Music Hall is another bar, pool tables, and seating areas. There are definitely times it can feel like a rock club but it's not ever going to feel like your local pub with a band set up.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:31 AM, Beer Belly said:

on NCL and enjoyed Syd Normans, for those of you who know Syd's know what it is we seek

I sailed on the Escape last March, I know what you seek as that is an excellent venue/band!!  I agree that the Music Hall on Anthem (another ship I've been on) might be the closest, though when I sailed that ship they also used TWO70 for the band.  At the time it was a tribute/cover band - DSB, a Journey cover band and I think they played in both Music Hall and TWO70.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Standard operating procedure for jukebox musicals (Mamma Mia, American Idiot, Jagged Little Pill, the forthcoming Heart of Rock & Roll...) that use one artist or group's catalog for an invented story.

It's a similar use of a catalog of music but telling the performers' stories like Jersey Boys, Ain't Too Proud, On Your Feet, Tina, Summer, MJ, Beautiful, The Cher Show, and whatever the Neil Diamond show is called.

Yes, ^^^this.

RC is moving to jukebox musicals because they are generally cheaper to produce.  

The Neil Diamond show is A Beautiful Noise.

We Will Rock You was never on Broadway.  It was a West End hit.  (fyi, west end is basically london's broadway 😄 )

WWRY is fun and a good show.  And I am not a Queen aficionada.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Syd Norman's is a more intimate venue than the Music Hall on Anthem. There is a sizable dance floor between the stage and the bar and the space is frequently used for game shows, non-rock type dance music and just people sitting and watching. Upstairs in the Music Hall is another bar, pool tables, and seating areas. There are definitely times it can feel like a rock club but it's not ever going to feel like your local pub with a band set up.

I have been to Syd's and to Music Hall and agree with this, MH has a definite different feel from Syd's

On 1/8/2024 at 6:31 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Other than the songs, We Will Rock You has no relation to Queen or their story. It is about rediscovering rock and roll music by inhabitants of the future. The story line is a stretch yet the performers have always been outstanding.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Other than the songs, We Will Rock You has no relation to Queen or their story. It is about rediscovering rock and roll music by inhabitants of the future. The story line is a stretch yet the performers have always been outstanding.

Like Mamma Mia has nothing to do with ABBA. And The Heart of Rock & Roll will have nothing to do with Huey Lewis and the News. That is what a jukebox musical is. A story made up to be used with a group or performer's music.

Which I explained in the first part of the post you clipped from.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Like Mamma Mia has nothing to do with ABBA. And The Heart of Rock & Roll will have nothing to do with Huey Lewis and the News. That is what a jukebox musical is. A story made up to be used with a group or performer's music.

Gotcha. Not familiar with any of these musicals. You posted about "telling the performers story" and then listed musicals that do tell a story of the artists. I was letting you know, WWRY, has nothing to do with Queen aside from their songs, unlike the musicals you originally did list. 

21 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Gotcha. Not familiar with any of these musicals. You posted about "telling the performers story" and then listed musicals that do tell a story of the artists. I was letting you know, WWRY, has nothing to do with Queen aside from their songs, unlike the musicals you originally did list. 

Here is the entirety of the post you quoted (and apparently only read) a segment of:

"Standard operating procedure for jukebox musicals (Mamma Mia, American Idiot, Jagged Little Pill, the forthcoming Heart of Rock & Roll...) that use one artist or group's catalog for an invented story.

It's a similar use of a catalog of music but telling the performers' stories like Jersey Boys, Ain't Too Proud, On Your Feet, Tina, Summer, MJ, Beautiful, The Cher Show, and whatever the Neil Diamond show is called."

I clearly talked about jukebox musicals first and then said "It's a similar use". NOT that that was the only version of a jukebox musical. They come in two types:

1 - Use the catalog for an independent story: Mamma Mia (ABBA's music); American Idiot (Green Day's music); Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morisette's music); Heart of Rock n Roll (Huey Lewis and the News' music); We Will Rock You (Queen's music).

2 - Use the catalog to tell a performer's sroty: On Your Feet (Gloria Estefan); The Cher Show (Cher); Jersey Boys (The Four Seasons); Tina (Tina Turner); Summer (Donna Summer); Beautiful (Carole King); MJ (Michael Jackson); A Beautiful Noise (Neil Diamond).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Here is the entirety of the post you quoted (and apparently only read) a segment of:

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I have seen WWRY multiple times. I hope you get the chance to see it one day & enjoy the performances. And yes, I did read your original post completely, the one you made under the assumption I asked for an explanation despite not expressing such a need (if you had comprehended the intent of my original post).

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 4:29 PM, DaniDanielle said:

I think We Will Rock You is an excellent cruise show!  Have seen it ten times and will miss it when Anthem leaves NJ.  A common opinion is most people enjoy the show, unless you dislike the music of Queen.  I guess we were lucky having great casts!

I saw WWRY several times and in my opinion it is a great show,one of the best ,if not the best ever on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:25 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, ^^^this.

RC is moving to jukebox musicals because they are generally cheaper to produce.  

The Neil Diamond show is A Beautiful Noise.

We Will Rock You was never on Broadway.  It was a West End hit.  (fyi, west end is basically london's broadway 😄 )

WWRY is fun and a good show.  And I am not a Queen aficionada.

WWRY appeared for three nights in MSG ,one block from Broadway.