Does Celebrity confiscate bottles of wine that you bring back from a port stop?

Linda W.

If you have the premium beverage package and come back to the ship from a port stop from a cruise that starts in the US does Celebrity hold that wine until disembarkation?

They will ask you to pick them up at the end of the cruise. One time we bought a bottle at port and they motioned to a table to turn them in. We walked toward the table but then walked away as we saw they were not paying attention. YMMV.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Linda W. said:

If you have the premium beverage package and come back to the ship from a port stop from a cruise that starts in the US does Celebrity hold that wine until disembarkation?

Well... If it goes through the scanner they will. If you figure out a way to keep it on your person and walk through the body scanner that look for metal- no problem!

My observation is that in Europe and South America, when there were tours to wineries which offered opportunities to buy lines, the staff was more lenient about letting you take the wine to your stateroom.

but in general, they will take the wine and give it back to you the night before disembarking.  Having a beverage package doesn’t change this.  YMMV

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

The best answer is "maybe".

We were on a cruise in December and stopped in St. Maarten.  We stopped at the Gulmohar's for a specific bourbon a couple of friends wanted.  We brought back 3 bottles. 

I went through security with the bottles in a bag and and my seapass card in my hand.  I had a suite, so the distinctive silver card.  

The security officer told me to place the bottles in my suitcase in my room and not to drink them on board.  "Great!" I replied,  "These are for people at home. I'll pack them right away."

Your mileage may vary.   

• Like 3

I did a wine tour in Greece and came back with two bottles, it went through the scanner and no one took it.

So a case of they may or may not but be prepared that you may not see it until the end

10 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

The best answer is "maybe".

We were on a cruise in December and stopped in St. Maarten.  We stopped at the Gulmohar's for a specific bourbon a couple of friends wanted.  We brought back 3 bottles. 

I went through security with the bottles in a bag and and my seapass card in my hand.  I had a suite, so the distinctive silver card.  

The security officer told me to place the bottles in my suitcase in my room and not to drink them on board.  "Great!" I replied,  "These are for people at home. I'll pack them right away."

Your mileage may vary.   

I know Gulmohar’s very well!  Hopefully you had time to go across the street to the Lux Bar.  So nice and Kat is the BEST mixologist I know!  Planning on seeing them all next month!

8 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Does anyone have experience with stops in New Zealand? We have a few winery tours on our trip. We probably won't buy much as we have the PBP and we are not going to bring it home either.

What happened on one sailing may not be what happens on another, even in the same port.  The staff changes, enforcement could be stricter.   

We will see what happens on our cruise out of Australia.  If we purchase a bottle or 2  that they hold until the last night we will gift the bottles to some sommeliers.  

Edited by jelayne
Correction

Well, another reason to cruise another line. A few years ago I cruised the Regent Mariner from Nice France to Rome. At a stop in some Italian port I bought a non firing replica if a ***** pistol and a six pack of local beer. The security people said I could take the beer, but the gun replica might scare some guests so they wanted to hold it for me until cruise end. I said fine, as the replica was only for my mantle at home, and I had no use for it on the ship. After that, I told my wife “see, if we had been on RCC they would have taken my beer, and let me keep the gun”!  I don’t know why and how “outside beverages” became like cigarettes in prison to some cruise lines, but it has. I am a beer enthusiast who wants to sample local brews as part of my vacation. So if “outside beer” s a problem with a cruise line, I don’t want to book it.

27 minutes ago, Linda W. said:

I know Gulmohar’s very well!  Hopefully you had time to go across the street to the Lux Bar.  So nice and Kat is the BEST mixologist I know!  Planning on seeing them all next month!

Sadly, my oncologist told me no more alcohol. So we didn’t bother.  We just buy what the friend who watches our house for us wanted.  🙂

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

een on RCC they would have taken my beer, and let me keep the gun”!  I don’t know why and how “outside beverages” became like cigarettes in prison to some cruise lines, but it has. I am a beer enthusiast who wants to sample local brews as part of my vacation. So if “outside beer” s a problem with a cruise line, I don’t want to book

All the mainstream cruise lines have the same policy. You have to be spending the big bucks for cruises to book cruise lines that don’t care. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They will ask you to pick them up at the end of the cruise. One time we bought a bottle at port and they motioned to a table to turn them in. We walked toward the table but then walked away as we saw they were not paying attention. YMMV.

This works very well if you have two bottles.  Either walk by if nobody is paying attention or just turn in one bottle and keep the other if you have to.

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

After that, I told my wife “see, if we had been on RCC they would have taken my beer, and let me keep the gun”!

Somehow, I doubt RCC would have let you keep the replica. Very disturbing if true. 

6 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Such euphoria exhibited by getting a bottle of two buck chuck past security

Celebrity’s version of two buck chuck now costs $19 bucks a glass. It’s no wonder some people will go to certain lengths to bring their own. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

This works very well if you have two bottles.  Either walk by if nobody is paying attention or just turn in one bottle and keep the other if you have to.

If you return when every one else is and they are very busy there is a good chance they won’t be paying attention. 

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

We just buy what the friend who watches our house for us wanted.  🙂

Blanton's, by any chance? Do they still call it "The Blanton's Store"? There used to be a big mural on the wall around the corner from Gulmohars with a 6 ft picture of a bottle. Haven't been there since 2019. 😭

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Linda W. said:

It doesn't matter if you have a beverage package or not.

If you hand them the bottle they will hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

If it is in something, eg a backpack, that goes through the scanner they might or they might not.

It is impossible to predict.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Blanton's, by any chance? Do they still call it "The Blanton's Store"? There used to be a big mural on the wall around the corner from Gulmohars with a 6 ft picture of a bottle. Haven't been there since 2019. 😭

Definitely Blanton's.  And yes, they do still have a sign up calling it The Blanton's Store. 

I can't drink it, even a couple of sips of wine causes me to have a reaction, but a friend loves it.  

• Thanks 1

On our Australia wine cruise last February, we brought at least two bottles onboard after visiting a couple of the ports and were able to bring them to our room with no issues. But maybe it was because it was a wine cruise. 🤔