Flip Phone

On 1/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, footballmp said:

Add me to the list of happy flip phone users.  So many are addicted to their smart phones and are constantly bent over reading/replying to a email or text.  Have you ever been behind someone who is attempting to drive while checking/answering emaits/texts?  Whats so important that you have to immediately read and respond to it while driving?  Most importantly, I dont want to be monitored or tracked by big brother.  Great to hear I can cruise without a smart phone!

1. Some people drink 1-2 glass of wine, and some just cannot stop.

Should people proudly post that they do not drink wine, because there are alcoholics drinking their brains out or drinking while driving?

2. You can adjust settings in smartphone to be less monitored by so called big brother, but there is some degree you can be monitored even while using flip-phone.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:57 PM, orville99 said:

Actually, my first flip phone was one of these - traded up from my Motorola “brick”

IMG_0333.jpeg

Oh no! A Micro TEC! There's a flashback! I worked for a cell company in a rural area w/a lot of hills in the early 90's & we did a LOT of installed 3 watt phones & bag phones! (Young ones-ask your grandparents!) That company was taken over by one quite larger w/a 3 letter name, so things have certainly changed, but if I had to I'm sure I could still climb up onto a truck roof & repair a broken roof mount antenna!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Charles, I truncated your comment, hopefully I left the context.  

My option was for those that don't want to invest in an expensive phone. I carry the cheap phone with me on sea days and when the weather is bad. I love my iPhone camera, but also carry a Sony 6400 with two lenses, a Nikon 7500 and leave behind a nonsensical collection of cameras at home going back to a Nikon F2 Photomic. OK, I'm old.

I just invested in a full frame Canon mirrorless and these are from the 6400 on the Quantum in June. 

See you at sea!

416121506_10229637151100611_7065949242404911975_n.jpg

416105196_10229637130420094_8885719479975901366_n.jpg

416099900_10229637138220289_8097798420213091971_n.jpg

416114845_10229637137740277_826545403390853561_n.jpg

416102276_10229637131060110_2793639056397980490_n.jpg

416106377_10229637167421019_1760429790637473784_n.jpg

416142633_10229637134660200_6504215327523067447_n.jpg

416093981_10229637164980958_7571147367570063604_n.jpg

416112531_10229637151580623_451697101042917329_n.jpg

416061623_10229637140060335_3000371685337834148_n.jpg

416111631_10229637145020459_2067730756922768342_n.jpg

Oh yum! My go-to is a little old-a Nikon D90 that "Santa " brought me the Christmas before our Alaska cruisetour. When a camera feels right in your hands it just works more natually than the latest & greatest that you have to adapt to. My regional camera shop has the latest & greatest software to work with your stuff & I write surrounded by awesome shots up to 20X30" Small & portable is good, but give me quality!

Don't know why anyone would keep buying flip phones when it's time for new. Smart phones can be had for little if any more money. My 84 yr old mother finally got one and she's never been happier with it. She doesn't use a fraction of the features but the larger size and a few things that she does use has made her life easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Just to be clear, there are Flip Phones that are also smart phones.  I'm thinking of phones like the Samsung Z Flip.

Galaxy Z Flip5 Flip Phone | Samsung US

It is clear that the flip phones that are being discussed are dumb phones. Some don’t want to use smartphones. They want dumb. Flip to them means dumb. The flip design has nothing to do with. They don’t want smart. 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:01 AM, Charles4515 said:

Yes there are still a few left who can’t learn new things or who don’t want  to pay for a smartphone. iPhones don’t control people, we control iPhones. 

Well, some people control their phones, while others don't. 

My high school students rally against the idea of not being able to keep their phones out on their desks /use their at their leisure.  MANY of them genuinely DON'T KNOW how to act without that electronic pacifier.  They genuinely don't know what to do with themselves for 5-10 minutes of downtime, if they can't fill that time with their electronics.  Literally, some of my students go through a 7 1/2 hour school day without having a conversation with other human beings; I've seen social skills decline steadily over the years.  

On 1/14/2024 at 4:07 PM, Charles4515 said:

All my female friends and relatives seem to manage. Since most people have smartphones they probably won’t notice they lost your business. 

I'm smaller than most people, so my clothes are smaller too -- and I don't own a pair of shorts or pants without pockets large enough to carry my phone.  And, having weak eyes, I always opt for a large phone.  

On 1/17/2024 at 8:41 AM, Charles4515 said:

Sorry to inform you but you can be monitored using a flip phone. 

You're monitored even if you don't have a phone on your person.  Outside your home, you're on camera much of the day.  Inside your home, Alexa and even your TV are passively recording you.  

On 1/22/2024 at 1:17 PM, jean87510 said:

A lot of people a little over 110 years ago also wouldn't drive cars but look at progress. 

That's a good comparison because driving /car ownership has changed significantly over the last 10-15 years.  We're a one-car family (so much money saved!), something that would've been difficult in past years ... but today more people work from home, and it's easy to call an Uber or Lyft if you need just the occasional ride.  Even as recently as the 60s or 70s, how many of us would've guessed cars would've become less and less necessary?  

On 1/23/2024 at 4:49 AM, cruisinfanatic said:

Smart phones can be had for little if any more money. 

Eh, I'd argue smart phones can be had for no money UP FRONT.  The companies are going to get your money -- they're just adding it into your monthly bill, even if it's not obvious.  No company gives you something without expecting to make money in some way.  

Back to the original question.  OP, you've already received lots of information about cruising phone-less.  A couple thoughts: 

- Definitely print your set-sail pass, as you won't be able to show it on a screen. 

- On the first day, go to Guest Services and ask for a print copy of the Daily Compass.  Tell Guest Services and/or your cabin steward that you want a print copy of this every day.  They won't give you this list of daily activities in print form unless you ask.  

- You can watch the muster drill information on your in-room TV, though -- obviously -- not until you arrive.  Be sure you know your muster station location before you board.  

- Midway through the week the ship sends out a survey (through the app, which you won't have) asking whether you want traditional Disembarkation or Self-Disembarkation.  Since you won't get the survey, be sure your cabin steward knows what you plan to do.  If you fail to catch him, go to Guest Services.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, some people control their phones, while others don't. 

My high school students rally against the idea of not being able to keep their phones out on their desks /use their at their leisure.  MANY of them genuinely DON'T KNOW how to act without that electronic pacifier.  They genuinely don't know what to do with themselves for 5-10 minutes of downtime, if they can't fill that time with their electronics.  Literally, some of my students go through a 7 1/2 hour school day without having a conversation with other human beings; I've seen social skills decline steadily over the years.  

I'm smaller than most people, so my clothes are smaller too -- and I don't own a pair of shorts or pants without pockets large enough to carry my phone.  And, having weak eyes, I always opt for a large phone.  

You're monitored even if you don't have a phone on your person.  Outside your home, you're on camera much of the day.  Inside your home, Alexa and even your TV are passively recording you.  

That's a good comparison because driving /car ownership has changed significantly over the last 10-15 years.  We're a one-car family (so much money saved!), something that would've been difficult in past years ... but today more people work from home, and it's easy to call an Uber or Lyft if you need just the occasional ride.  Even as recently as the 60s or 70s, how many of us would've guessed cars would've become less and less necessary?  

Eh, I'd argue smart phones can be had for no money UP FRONT.  The companies are going to get your money -- they're just adding it into your monthly bill, even if it's not obvious.  No company gives you something without expecting to make money in some way.  

Back to the original question.  OP, you've already received lots of information about cruising phone-less.  A couple thoughts: 

- Definitely print your set-sail pass, as you won't be able to show it on a screen. 

- On the first day, go to Guest Services and ask for a print copy of the Daily Compass.  Tell Guest Services and/or your cabin steward that you want a print copy of this every day.  They won't give you this list of daily activities in print form unless you ask.  

- You can watch the muster drill information on your in-room TV, though -- obviously -- not until you arrive.  Be sure you know your muster station location before you board.  

- Midway through the week the ship sends out a survey (through the app, which you won't have) asking whether you want traditional Disembarkation or Self-Disembarkation.  Since you won't get the survey, be sure your cabin steward knows what you plan to do.  If you fail to catch him, go to Guest Services.  

Interesting you bring up HS and socialization skills and electronic pacifiers.  I think you would agree many if not 90% of your students became more reliant on their phones and laptops when they had to learn virtually during the shutdown.  It's actually sad that this occurred.  These kids became reliant on their devices as a way to interact with each other.  I had 1 in college, 1 in HS and 3 working remote in 2020 - 2022 and definitely notice an increase in using the phones to communicate more with my kids.  I'm sure all of us have noticed.  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, smokeybandit said:

For anyone over age 35-40, a flip phone will always be one of these:

image.thumb.png.449ba1b55ea0153d9be9ea4fa8814bf7.png

It was wonderful, compared to the “brick” I carried before. 

• Haha 1

Just got a flipphone, don't need no smart phone, cuz I'm dumb!!! Why do they have to make everything to hard these days? Whats wrong with just usin the brain you have, or is that outdated now? Oh, got a Kodak camera, too.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, seeing the sights said:

We don't own smart phones but I am computer literate we have our set sail pass with an arrival time of 10:00AM  

RCCL is doing 10AM arrival times?  Really?

I can now report that being checked in at the terminal, without prior use of the app, was a breeze. We had printed the page with our names and booking # (noted on our booking as "If not using the app, print the following page"), took it to the terminal, and were quickly checked in with an agent there. All we needed at that point were our passports, credit card, and phone number of a contact person.

On board, we never had any occasion to wish we had the app for anything.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:49 AM, cruisinfanatic said:

Don't know why anyone would keep buying flip phones when it's time for new. Smart phones can be had for little if any more money. My 84 yr old mother finally got one and she's never been happier with it. She doesn't use a fraction of the features but the larger size and a few things that she does use has made her life easier.

DH only got a smart phone because they stopped making the batteries for his milspec flip phone.  

That thing was sturdy.   When we were dating, he put his shorts with his phone in the pocket into the laundry hamper that was ready to go in the washer.  It wasn't until it started to bang around in the dryer that we knew.   Phone was fine.  It would have been fine if we'd left it in the dryer, since that was a test for flip phones, a certain amount of time in a dryer.   One time he was buttonholed by some salesguy in an Apple store, who claimed that the iphone was sturdier.  DH took his flip phone and tossed it across the room like it was dice at a craps table.  Then he showed the guy that it still worked and was about ready to do the same thing to the iphone when the salesguy grabbed his arm and admitted it was less sturdy.   Now that we all have smart phones, we just plan on replacing his every 6-8 months.   He is doubling the size of our house himself, so misc. construction.  The only smart part that he uses is as a radio/audiobook player, and he'd be happier if it was the size of the old flip phones.   

For myself I deliberately waited until DD was school aged to get a smart phone.   Kids are talking later than they used to, and parents with smart phones is thought to be one reason.  The kids don't hear as many words because the parents stare at the smart phone screen instead of talking to their baby.  I'm a gadget gal, so I was quite happy to switch.  

On 2/9/2024 at 8:20 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

DH only got a smart phone because they stopped making the batteries for his milspec flip phone.  

That thing was sturdy.   When we were dating, he put his shorts with his phone in the pocket into the laundry hamper that was ready to go in the washer.  It wasn't until it started to bang around in the dryer that we knew.   Phone was fine.  It would have been fine if we'd left it in the dryer, since that was a test for flip phones, a certain amount of time in a dryer.   One time he was buttonholed by some salesguy in an Apple store, who claimed that the iphone was sturdier.  DH took his flip phone and tossed it across the room like it was dice at a craps table.  Then he showed the guy that it still worked and was about ready to do the same thing to the iphone when the salesguy grabbed his arm and admitted it was less sturdy.   Now that we all have smart phones, we just plan on replacing his every 6-8 months.   He is doubling the size of our house himself, so misc. construction.  The only smart part that he uses is as a radio/audiobook player, and he'd be happier if it was the size of the old flip phones.   

For myself I deliberately waited until DD was school aged to get a smart phone.   Kids are talking later than they used to, and parents with smart phones is thought to be one reason.  The kids don't hear as many words because the parents stare at the smart phone screen instead of talking to their baby.  I'm a gadget gal, so I was quite happy to switch.  

My original Motorola brick was built like a tank. Salesman demonstrated it by throwing it across the store by the antenna. You could have run it over with a truck. 

• Like 1