Considering first cruise- questions for family of 5

Hello,  we are a family of 5 with three girls ages 13 and 9 (twins). We have never done a cruise before but I have done some research and believe royal Caribbean would be the best choice for us.  It’s clear that you can’t book a room for 5 online, but I tend to get real excited to travel and I would love to hear from others what they end up spending BEFORE I call for info only to impulsively book 😅.  I’m also super confused on whether it saves money or not to get a room that sleeps 5 vs two connecting rooms.  If you’re willing to share your own cruise cost and details or what you think the general range might be, and any other tips to consider,  I would greatly appreciate it! 

Some details that might help:

- we are most interested in the oasis or quantum class ships

- 7 night Caribbean is most likely our top choice

- we would want a balcony but could consider one facing Central Park or inside view if they have that

- my husband and I would probably have up to 4-6 drinks (alcohol) a day combined, max

- we do like excursions so I’d probably consider 2-3 of those when we stop

I have full awareness that I’m a total control freak and don’t love the idea of having to go through a travel agent if a problem arises, so my preference would be to book direct but I could be swayed.  

If you made it through this, thank you for your help!! 

Edited by My3Daughters
Left something out
  • Like 2

Pricing is more in June, July, and August. I would get a Balcony for you and husband, then get an interior for the 3 children across the hall. Once onboard you can put anyone you want in each cabin, vice versa. You can do mock bookings on just about any website. You will get a better deal going though travel agent then booking directly with R.C. 

• Like 1

I booked an ultra spacious balcony on Harmony of the seas for my family of 5. Google room 7730 harmony of the seas. The balcony is huge and while it might be rough with one bathroom it will have to work. This room was slightly cheaper then getting 2 rooms.

• Like 1

My cost for harmony 7 night out of Galveston was about 3500 for the cruise for 5 in April 2024(prices have gone up), unlimited drinks for me and wife $1200, grats $16 pp per day and I think internet is $20 pp per day but I haven’t booked that yet. I might book for 2 devices for 1 person since it is cheaper that way.

• Like 1

We took boys on Quantum class which has rooms for 5, but I think they go fast.  We decided to use connecting rooms and kept the door between always open.  Allowed for two bathrooms at nearly the same price.

These boys were younger and are climbers, so we opted for OV. 

• Like 2

Congratulations on coming to this site!  I have learned so much about cruising, ports, ships, hotels, etc.  This is the best source for all your questions.  Skim through this board and let the learning begin.  Be warned, once you have cruised, you will not stop and your kids will thank you.  Our kids were grown before we could afford to take them.  But our first cruise was for our 25th anniversary and my last one was my 17th.  (Hubby passed away in May and I buried his ashes at sea.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, My3Daughters said:

Hello,  we are a family of 5 with three girls ages 13 and 9 (twins). We have never done a cruise before but I have done some research and believe royal Caribbean would be the best choice for us.  It’s clear that you can’t book a room for 5 online, but I tend to get real excited to travel and I would love to hear from others what they end up spending BEFORE I call for info only to impulsively book 😅.  I’m also super confused on whether it saves money or not to get a room that sleeps 5 vs two connecting rooms.  If you’re willing to share your own cruise cost and details or what you think the general range might be, and any other tips to consider,  I would greatly appreciate it! 

Some details that might help:

- we are most interested in the oasis or quantum class ships

- 7 night Caribbean is most likely our top choice

- we would want a balcony but could consider one facing Central Park or inside view if they have that

- my husband and I would probably have up to 4-6 drinks (alcohol) a day combined, max

- we do like excursions so I’d probably consider 2-3 of those when we stop

I have full awareness that I’m a total control freak and don’t love the idea of having to go through a travel agent if a problem arises, so my preference would be to book direct but I could be swayed.  

With 3 daughters I would think connecting cabins would be good for the extra bathrooms , I think your family will love all the entertainment options on oasis class . If you knew a travel agent that you could trust it might be good , we always book directly with rccl . I doubt the liquor package will be a good deal if you drink 2 or 3 drinks daily, but package also includes water and soda. Not sure of where you live but cruises from Texas/Galveston seem cheaper than Florida. For shore excursion you should try to research this as much as possible, private tours are cheaper and often nicer but ships tours you are guaranteed you will not miss the ship , we definitely prefer private tours . After picking a cruise you can join the roll call on this site and they can help with shore excursions . Good luck I am sure you will enjoy your cruise . Might want to include one specialty dinner for your family if it’s in the budget, specialty restaurant for lunch are about half the price as for dinner . 

• Like 4

With a family 5 I think your best value would be to get 2 connected side by side rooms or just 2 rooms next to each other or even across the hall from Ea hall from each other.  To do that you would need to list 1 adult for each cabin and divide the kids.  For kids the Oasis class ships will offer the most things to do. I don’t think the Allure has the water slides yet. To break even on the drink package you need to drink 6-8 drinks per day per person to break even so it is probably not good value for you. 

in my opinion I would research your cruise and then you agent to book it.  They might have group rates to save you some money and throw in some perks.  It is much easier to deal with an agent than the cruise line and it cost you no more money.  

• Like 1

We did a regular balcony cabin with a family of 5 in 2017. Our kids were younger (4,5, and 10) at the time and it was cozy but very doable. This time it was cheaper to book two inside guarantees so we went with that. We did that on the Allure and we loved the ship!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, My3Daughters said:

The break even point on the drinks package is about 5-6 per day per person- buy them a la carte. 

• Like 1

I agree with others, definitely 2 connecting cabins.  The two bathrooms when getting a quick shower before dinner or getting ready in the morning will keep everyone sane.  Pus, you will have more room for all your clothing and things, and room to move around in the cabin.    If you get two balcony cabins, you can ask the room steward to open the dividers on the balcony so you end up with one larger balcony.  But, whatever category of cabin you choose, inside, outside or balcony - I would definitely recommend 2 connecting cabins.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, My3Daughters said:

Hello,  we are a family of 5 with three girls ages 13 and 9 (twins). We have never done a cruise before but I have done some research and believe royal Caribbean would be the best choice for us.

I think Royal Caribbean is a good choice for families -- but I'd also consider Princess. 

You say you're leaning towards the Oasis ships -- they have more amenities, but they also come with bigger price tags.  The mid-sized ships also have plenty to keep kids entertained.  

We always factor in the cruise port as a major deciding factor too.  We're close enough to drive to Orlando or Tampa, but Lauderdale or Miami feel So Much Farther.  Driving, if possible for you, is easier in several ways.  

If you think you'll be cruising again, I'd suggest you stick with one cruise line so you'l eventually build up some rewards with that line.  

For the moment, I suggest you look into your ship and date /get yourself booked.  THEN start on all the other topics.  

11 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Pricing is more in June, July, and August.

So much more.  And holidays are even more.  That's part of why we are exclusively fall cruisers -- prices are low + we like the weather.  

10 hours ago, shofer said:

Congratulations on coming to this site!  I have learned so much about cruising, ports, ships, hotels, etc.  This is the best source for all your questions.  

So true!  

9 hours ago, George C said:

With 3 daughters I would think connecting cabins would be good for the extra bathrooms

Yes, this is what we did when our kids were younger.  Emphasis on CONNECTING.  I personally would never put my kids across the hall.  You're much more "connected" when you have an interior room between you ... across the hall you don't fully know who's coming /going.  You don't want new friends coming /going out of your kids' room (or even the cabin steward or maintenance people) without your knowledge.  

We have had three balcony cabins in a row with the dividers removed ... that was great.  We left the sliding doors unlocked and could come /go between the rooms without going "out in public".  

You could have connecting Interiors, Ocean Views or Balconies ... I wouldn't tell you which is best for your family and your budget, but we've stayed in all and have been happy in all.  

You could get one of the few Family Rooms onboard, and they'd give you more space -- but not another bathroom.   

With 5 people, you might want to look at online deck plans and choose a room fairly near a public bathroom (or the gym, which has bathrooms + showers).  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

We’re also a family of five (three boys 16, 15 and 13). Our favourite configuration is an ocean view balcony for my husband and I and a boardwalk balcony for the boys. We did this on Symphony last week and will do the same on Wonder next month. We’ve done connecting rooms as well but like to have a choice of views. 

We loved the Symphony and I imagine we will enjoy the Wonder as well. So much to do and I absolutely love the Central Park area. My husband and I were on Ovation in September and we didn’t love the layout of the ship as much. As far as intinerary goes, I love the Caribbean for the weather but I’m not fussed on whether we do and Eastern or a Western - but we do love having a stop at Coco Cay!

I will add that we’ve also done a couple of Disney cruises (2 years ago and 6 years ago) and we just booked one room for the 5 of us on both. The split bathroom makes it doable, although cozy. Now that the boys are all teenagers I would always opt for the extra room. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volk904 said:

across the hall from Ea hall from each other.  To do that you would need to list 1 adult for each cabin and divide the kids.

This is incorrect.  RCL allows kids to be directly across the hall from the parents.  

When we travelled as 5 (kids were 16, 10, & 7 I believe), on Freedom, we did connecting balconies.  I agree with the two rooms.  We've done 5 in hotel rooms for a couple of nights for weekend trips, and while doable, it's a pain.  Cruise cabins are generally going to be smaller than hotel rooms.  

One thing I remember from the connecting rooms, we couldn't latch/lock the connecting door.  So "private time" had to be selected carefully to avoid the chance of kids barging in. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, My3Daughters said:

That is sort of a funny statement. I would draw the opposite conclusion. If problems arise I would want a travel agent. The alternative is that you try to reach someone in a call center. That person doesn't care about you and he/she works for a company that really doesn't care too much either. A competent travel agent on the other hand would be exactly the person you need to discuss and sort out problems you have.

Other then that. If the money works, try the ultimate family suite. Space for the 5 of you and the children will most likely love it. Plus you don't have to worry about drinks, internet, dining etc. it is all included.

• Like 1

From a family of 5-tip. Some of the older ships (Liberty, for ex), have lots of cool tween-teen things to do and come in at a much lower price point. They have family Oceanview cabins (ultra spacious Oceanview) that can be a really good deal. There are some configured like a suite (usually front corner rooms, below) with a separate small bunk bed room. We have done both 5 person cabins and 2 rooms depending on the pricing. 

image.png.e21dd13bed5b27f7c9237d250f64679b.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

That is sort of a funny statement. I would draw the opposite conclusion. If problems arise I would want a travel agent.

I like being in control of my own reservation /if I see a lower price, being able to call in myself.  BUT I don't have a lot of moving pieces:  We drive to the port, reserve a hotel for the evening before ourselves.  

Furthermore, I've never found a travel agent who'd give me a lower price -- and I've quit trying.  This may be because we cruise exclusively in the fall, which is already rock-bottom prices.  

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

The alternative is that you try to reach someone in a call center.

Call early or late.  You'll get right through.  Accents are sometimes a problem.  

20 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

From a family of 5-tip. Some of the older ships (Liberty, for ex), have lots of cool tween-teen things to do and come in at a much lower price point.

Yes, when my kids were teens those WERE the big boys!  No shortage of fun activities for the kids.  

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Just note that rooms that hold 5 are limited and in high demand.   

True.  And most of them only have one bathroom; I'd much rather have two connecting rooms.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, My3Daughters said:

When problems arise is the time a TA works in your behalf and has much more pull than you do. Plus it is pretty easy to pick up several hundred in TA perks in addition to anything Royal is offering. 

• Like 3

I would look at a balcony with an interior across the hall. Could save you 1000$ compared to two balconies and this way you know your children aren’t playing on the balcony which can be very dangerous. Plus by doing 2 rooms you have 2 bathrooms, 2 closets, 2 sets of drawers etc. Storage is really important when cruising and there are lots of tips on here and online on how to prep for a trip. A lot of people use packing cubes because it’s easy to stay organized and unpack but with kids even ziplocks work great.

I’m also a control freak and haven’t found an agent who can give me much of anything in way of perks so I book directly with the cruise line. With some lines when I notice a price drop I can just contact them and either get the new price or a voucher for the difference for a future cruise. If I had booked with an agent I’d be dependent on them and if they actually did it etc. 

Upcoming RCI cruise we have 6 cabins booked so an agent was used for that one. The agent wasn’t even aware that that ship was going to dry dock a few months before. A GOOD travel agent can be gold but finding one can be hard.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, George C said:

With 3 daughters I would think connecting cabins would be good for the extra bathrooms , I think your family will love all the entertainment options on oasis class . If you knew a travel agent that you could trust it might be good , we always book directly with rccl . I doubt the liquor package will be a good deal if you drink 2 or 3 drinks daily, but package also includes water and soda. Not sure of where you live but cruises from Texas/Galveston seem cheaper than Florida. For shore excursion you should try to research this as much as possible, private tours are cheaper and often nicer but ships tours you are guaranteed you will not miss the ship , we definitely prefer private tours . After picking a cruise you can join the roll call on this site and they can help with shore excursions . Good luck I am sure you will enjoy your cruise . Might want to include one specialty dinner for your family if it’s in the budget, specialty restaurant for lunch are about half the price as for dinner . 

Agree with the extra bathrooms by having a second room. We had 5 (two teens and a toddler) of us in 2016 and booked early enough to snag a Royal Family Suite for a great price. It was an aft balcony room with an additional interior stateroom within it, so two technically two rooms = two bathrooms. Sharing a bathroom with two teen boys was not something I wanted to do (ha) and it allowed them to come and go to the teen programs on board without waking up their baby sister. This was not an Oasis class ship, but you could get connecting balcony rooms to mimic this setup so your girls can have their own bathroom and a bit of privacy but close with a connecting door.

• Like 2

We did a traditional balcony for husband and myself (Oasis) and a Central Park balcony right across the hall for our two teenagers (who were a bit older than yours). It worked out great! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elaine5 said:

From a family of 5-tip. Some of the older ships (Liberty, for ex), have lots of cool tween-teen things to do and come in at a much lower price point. They have family Oceanview cabins (ultra spacious Oceanview) that can be a really good deal. There are some configured like a suite (usually front corner rooms, below) with a separate small bunk bed room. We have done both 5 person cabins and 2 rooms depending on the pricing. 

image.png.e21dd13bed5b27f7c9237d250f64679b.png

I was thinking this same thing... 

I had one of those Ultra Spacious OV's and it was great... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cj_one2000 said:

Agree with the extra bathrooms by having a second room. We had 5 (two teens and a toddler) of us in 2016 and booked early enough to snag a Royal Family Suite for a great price. It was an aft balcony room with an additional interior stateroom within it, so two technically two rooms = two bathrooms. Sharing a bathroom with two teen boys was not something I wanted to do (ha) and it allowed them to come and go to the teen programs on board without waking up their baby sister. This was not an Oasis class ship, but you could get connecting balcony rooms to mimic this setup so your girls can have their own bathroom and a bit of privacy but close with a connecting door.

We like having a second bathroom and it’s only two of us 😁

• Haha 2