Issue with facial recognition with disembarkation

Dies anyone know why I would have to see a customs agent after disembarking my cruise when going thru facial recognition?

it’s been 2 cruises in a row. 

how can I fix this. Never had this issue before. 

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You'd probably have to ask the customs agent how to fix it.

I did and he was like everything seems fine with it. He thought maybe I need to add my middle name to the booking but never had to before the last 2 cruises. 

5 minutes ago, thjeepster said:

I did and he was like everything seems fine with it. He thought maybe I need to add my middle name to the booking but never had to before the last 2 cruises. 

Were u stopped at the kiosk or accompanied to customs by a Royal staff. 

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Do you wear glasses? and are you anything other than caucasian?  There are studies out there that speak of facial recognition and people of color.

No glasses and I’m white Caucasian 

3 hours ago, thjeepster said:

Dies anyone know why I would have to see a customs agent after disembarking my cruise when going thru facial recognition?

it’s been 2 cruises in a row. 

how can I fix this. Never had this issue before. 

We had an issue like that a few years ago and the RCL personnel asked us if we bought anything on the ship.  We did, a $40 watch, and when we went to the custom officer, he said he didn't understand why we were called out and said we could go.

3 hours ago, thjeepster said:

Maybe your full name as it appears on your passport should also appear in the same manner on your booking.  While it may not be a cruise line requirement, it may help with the customs issue you are having - especially if this was his suggestion.  Just a thought.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

33 minutes ago, thjeepster said:

No the facial recognition machine said see customs officer 

Glitch.  Information to the system is provided by photos and data accumulated by Royal at check-in.  

Edited by nelblu

6 hours ago, thjeepster said:

You are actually referring to passing through immigration.  If you see a pattern of every time you enter the country, you could be getting your name confused with someone else that the government is looking for based on a similar name and birthdate.  The more common your name, the more likely this could be happening.  If it happens again, simply ask the immigration officer what's going on and they will likely tell you.  If it becomes super annoying or you end up spending lots of time being processed when entering the country you can apply for a "redress number" from the federal government.

Edited by SelectSys

6 hours ago, thjeepster said:

Your name might be on a watch list. The immigration officer might not tell you. 

Edited by Charles4515

5 hours ago, SelectSys said:

You are actually referring to passing through immigration.

And they would be questioning you based on your documentation as others have explained.  If you are being directed to a customs agent (not border patrol), you've either been randomly chosen for inspection or the cruise line has reported your spending in the onboard shops.

Going through JFK in August immigration officer had issues with my passport photo. “It doesn’t look like you”. Hmm it’s 10 years old, I didn’t have grey hair then and I’ve had minor facial surgery for skin cancers. I’ve also added a few wrinkles.  Plus just had two x 14 hour flights with a 10 hour stopover. Eventually decided it was ok and put me through.

Hate to think what he would make of my new passport photo I look like a runaway from a nursing home.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Hate to think what he would make of my new passport photo I look like a runaway from a nursing home.

There is an old adage which runs along the lines of "If you actually look like your passport photo, you are probably too ill to travel"?? 

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2024 at 8:32 AM, thjeepster said:

23 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Maybe you need to add your middle name to your bookings. 

21 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe your full name as it appears on your passport should also appear in the same manner on your booking.  While it may not be a cruise line requirement, it may help with the customs issue you are having - especially if this was his suggestion.  Just a thought.

21 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Maybe you need to add your middle name to your bookings. 

Kind of makes some sense.  If documents don't match the algorithm selects you for a face-to-face.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, capriccio said:

cruise line has reported your spending in the onboard shops

I never knew this.  I would assume this is only for cruises arriving into the US.

5 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I never knew this.  I would assume this is only for cruises arriving into the US.

Yes, as far as I know.  The stories I have heard or read all were cases of expensive jewelry being bought on board.

• Like 1