I heard AMS airport is a mess everyday

Sources? Sure the story and pictures are current?

This will likely get moved to the Cruise Air board, or the Western Europe board, where AMS is covered. Discussions from last summer reported things had improved. We flew INTO AMS in June, and things moved fairly well.

• Like 2

It was a hot mess in October when I was there for work, but once you are through security and passport control, it's much nicer. When I was there, than randomly closed the security line for my terminal and sent us all on a lengthy adventure to a different terminal. Security wasn't too bad (although I had a business class ticket), but passport control was awful.

4 hours ago, tc-cruise said:

Should I be concerned? I saw miles long line outside of airport and no one says it's getting better. Is it weather related, strike or regulation? Very confused. 

Yes this was probably in 2022, things are fine now, last time we were there October there were loads more staff so no waits at all. Don’t worry.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/

Happy planning 

Rosalyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were there in Jul 2023.  Long lines to check in for economy with only a couple of agents for KLM.  Never could find the expedited line.  We made time slot reservations for the security line.  You can do this in advance.  When we finally got there, there was no line. Hint - ignore the sign at immigration that says to wait if your flight isn’t within a certain time frame.  I’d plan to arrive early.  There are plenty of seats, stores, coffee shops, and miles of terminal to walk to pass the time.  Additionally, the boarding area is small and the pre US departure security interviews tend to slow the boarding process. Just temper your expectations and you will be fine 😊.

9 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

…Never could find the expedited line….

We have encountered this before at AMS. Usually at security. Only once was at the check-in counter where passengers were attempting to re-book our canceled flight, staff ignored the AA Priority Lanes completely so there was absolutely no time savings. The next day when we eventually flew out, the lane was functioning and everything went smoothly.

Edited by syesmar

We were there recently and it was crowded but an employee stepped in and took half of the line to another area for check in...all we need was a flag and the order to stay together and we could have passed as a tour group...you will be fine.

Those extreme lines were in Summer 2022. Last year I never had to wait, I could just walk through at security or had to wait 5 minutes max. I only encountered very long lines at the passport control when arriving, even though I’m Dutch. But in general there’s nothing to worry about! Especially outside holidays. 

11 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Can't be worse than Seattle.

I fly in and out of Seatac 4-5 times a year. Have never had a problem or long wait.

Last July, I flew out of Amsterdam and waited in the checkin line for 90 minutes. After that, I was chosen for an extra security check at the gate. A senior woman who definitely does not look to be a threat.

So yes, it can be much worse than Seattle.

We were there in December, but just for a transit on our way to Prague. The passport control line was nuts, but if your flight is leaving within a certain time frame they let you go to the head of the line - just listen for the announcements. We’ve flown in and out of Schiphol many times and I don’t think it’s any worse than JFK and it’s better than CDG. What I always shake my head over is that you land and you taxi for what seems like MILES, even though you can see the tower “right there!” Don’t stress over AMS, but don’t plan a short connection, and arrive at least 3 hours before your flight. 

10 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Sometimes travel doesn't goes as planned.  If you can't handle things going astray don't travel.

Not you personally.  Just a good rule of thumb.

8 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I don't like unexpected things and I still travel.......🤣

There is a big difference between not liking things and not being able to handle them.

I asked someone who flew from AMS on Friday afternoon about how the security queues were. Basic answer: "Queues? What queues?"

On 2/18/2024 at 3:29 AM, tc-cruise said:

... and no one says it's getting better.

That's because "Things are getting better" does not sell newspapers or online impressions. Just because nobody says that things are now back to normal, it doesn't mean that they aren't back to normal. After all, it would be surprising for the same things to be happening two years later.