Taking HAL transport from Rotterdam to AMS - what could be earliest flight?

flahagan

I will be ending a Norwegian fjords cruise on May 11 and have booked the HAL transport from Rotterdam to Schiphol.  I need to book my flights but would like to know how much time I would need.  There are flights out at 10:35, 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.  Any advice?

23 minutes ago, flahagan said:

I will be ending a Norwegian fjords cruise on May 11 and have booked the HAL transport from Rotterdam to Schiphol.  I need to book my flights but would like to know how much time I would need.  There are flights out at 10:35, 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.  Any advice?

You need at least a 3 hour window at Schipol for an International flight.  Since it’s a HAlL transfer (which takes longer than just grabbing a cab), I would take the 5 pm flight.  The 1 PM flight SHOULD be do-able provided the ship is cleared in a timely manner, etc and Schipol is not too bogged down.  It can take a lot of time to get through Schipol’s security.

• Like 6

Just now, swin26 said:

Flight ease only allows for flights noon or later, so even if you are not using flight ease, I would avoid the 10:30 flight. 

That's what I was thinking.  Sound like the 1 PM flight would work best, although it means a 6 hr layover in Atlanta - ugh.  The 5 PM flight arrives back in Daytona at midnight, same as the 1 PM flight, with a 2 hr 15 min layover in Atlanta.  But that would mean a long day in Schiphol.  Decisions, decisions.

If you take the 5pm fight, it may be possible to take a HAL Amsterdam excursion that drops you off at the airport later.  You could also take the train into  Amsterdam from the airport- it is very simple.  There is also a place near the Amsterdam central station to have luggage held

• Like 4

Take the 5 pm flight.  If you have extra time in an airport, Schiphol  is a good choice for food and people watching.  However, you may not have as much extra time as you think.  That airport is a bear with lines and security.  Last trip took us 4 hours to get through.

• Like 3

Last time in Rotterdam we took the HAL transfer with a tour of Rotterdam, it was great to not have a full day in Schipol Airport!  They had other tours as well, connected with the transfer, one was to Kinderdyke, which I would have liked but it was too long for us to make our flight in time.  I think they did not appear until after we were on board.  This next cruise, our flight is 12:10 to Reykjavik, so I'm hoping we can get to AMS speedily!

Our next cruise ends in Rotterdam on May 5th and there is an excursion available to Keukenhof for the flower gardens.  May 11th is just about the final day of the show this year, so you could take this transfer (departs ship 7.30 am) and drops you to Schiphol for flights after 3.30pm.  There is also the option of the Kinderdyke tour.  

I would not chance the 10.35 flight even if the ship docked in Amsterdam which would be closer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boatmad said:

Take the 5 pm flight.  If you have extra time in an airport, Schiphol  is a good choice for food and people watching.  However, you may not have as much extra time as you think.  That airport is a bear with lines and security.  Last trip took us 4 hours to get through.

I'm thinking the same way.  I like having the opportunity to shop for some good cheeses to bring home and I'm really not a fan of Atlanta airport.  Since I'll be spending a few extra days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and going to Keukenhof then (tour on May 3rd), I'm really not interested in more touring before the airport.  Plus, I spent several days in Amsterdam this past August.  Thanks for the input.

We enjoyed walking around the airport and going in the different shops.  Some last minute gift purchasing, etc.  There are also a few places to eat. 

After our last cruise (to the Norwegian fjords on the N. Statendam) which disembarked in Amsterdam, we stored our luggage at the airport and took the train for a 2 night stay in Antwerp.  From there we took a train for a day trip to Brugge.  Our last night in Europe was spent back in Amsterdam at the Hilton AMS before taking an early morning flight back to the states.  They have a really nice lobby with a good bar.  Also, a very nice restaurant!  It would be good to stretch your legs before your flight by heading over to the Hilton via the airport walkway.  It's about a 10-15 minute walk with your luggage, and all under cover with a few of the walking escalators.

I am really surprised that you have not purchased your flights, yet.  We are heading back over on May 7th for a cruise out of Rotterdam.  We purchased our airline tickets back in August.  They were pretty expensive back then.  I cannot imagine what the pricing looks like now!   I think that I will look it up. 😉

Edited by Iamthesea

Of the three choices you listed, I would take the 5:00 PM flight. I would not chance missing the 1:00 PM flight, as I would find it too tight. 
If I didn't want to get in at midnight (and I would not be happy at that hour, with my body on Amsterdam time), I would stay over one night and take an earlier flight the next day. 

Going through security in that airport can seem to take forever. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  As for getting in at midnight, I only live 8 minutes from our little airport, so no problem.  As for not getting my flights yet, I just booked this trip yesterday, a last-minute gift to myself for my 80th birthday!  And actually, the fares I'm getting aren't bad at all compared to what I paid for last August.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flahagan said:

Thanks everyone!  As for getting in at midnight, I only live 8 minutes from our little airport, so no problem.  As for not getting my flights yet, I just booked this trip yesterday, a last-minute gift to myself for my 80th birthday!  And actually, the fares I'm getting aren't bad at all compared to what I paid for last August.

Good for you have a great cruise.

That's great!  I did a mock booking of our flights and they have gone up $2000 each!  YIKES!!!

17 hours ago, flahagan said:

20 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

That's great!  I did a mock booking of our flights and they have gone up $2000 each!  YIKES!!!

Holy Moly, that's a huge increase!  I just finished booking my flight and I fly r/t DAB - AMS with 1 stop in ATL and for main cabin I paid $1277.  I'm satisfied so I won't look anymore, lol.

That is a decent fare.  DELTA?  We also fly in and out of ATL from our home airport, TRI.  Fares are always more from here.  Occasionally, we will drive to Atlanta and stay at my daughters overnight, but that's still a 5 hour drive to their house, plus another 1+ hour to ATL. When factoring in everything, it usually doesn't save us all that much.  Perhaps we should fly to DAB before heading over seas. 😀

We stopped flying Main class a good while ago for comfort and sleep purposes.  It was Comfort Plus with an occasional Business class seat depending on how long we were going to be in the air.  Last May, we flew Premium Economy  to AMS.  It was a step above Comfort+ and not too bad (think the old First Class seats.)  For this upcoming trip, we found a deal in PE going over, and in Business class on the return.  I checked every week to see if we could use Delta points to upgrade to Business for the flight over.  Finally landed on a good offer.   We are now flying Business round trip for less than $3000 pp.   That's still higher than in the years past, but that same flight is now over $5000 pp.   Airfare has gotten ridiculous since Covid!

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

That is a decent fare.  DELTA?  We also fly in and out of ATL from our home airport, TRI.  Fares are always more from here.  Occasionally, we will drive to Atlanta and stay at my daughters overnight, but that's still a 5 hour drive to their house, plus another 1+ hour to ATL. When factoring in everything, it usually doesn't save us all that much.  Perhaps we should fly to DAB before heading over seas. 😀

We stopped flying Main class a good while ago for comfort and sleep purposes.  It was Comfort Plus with an occasional Business class seat depending on how long we were going to be in the air.  Last May, we flew Premium Economy  to AMS.  It was a step above Comfort+ and not too bad (think the old First Class seats.)  For this upcoming trip, we found a deal in PE going over, and in Business class on the return.  I checked every week to see if we could use Delta points to upgrade to Business for the flight over.  Finally landed on a good offer.   We are now flying Business round trip for less than $3000 pp.   That's still higher than in the years past, but that same flight is now over $5000 pp.   Airfare has gotten ridiculous since Covid!

Yes, it's Delta.  I have only two airline choices out of Daytona - Delta through Atlanta and American Airlines through Charlotte.  Delta is usually my best choice.  I love having only one stop for international flights!

8 hours ago, lais said:

How about the train?  I’m researching this now and the train is only about 30  minutes directly to the airport.   

We are also taking the train from Rotterdam to the airport. Don't have to rush off the ship, we have a 5PM flight home so not in a rush. 

I apologize for going slightly off-topic, but is Schiphol a nightmare even if you're only flying INTO the airport? We're taking a Rotterdam-to-Fort Lauderdale HAL transatlantic in 2025, so we'll be flying to AMS but not going through security lines. However, we'll still have to deal with customs, immigration, baggage claim, and God-knows-what else. Is Schiphol worse than any other big European airport in terms of arrival hassles?

Thanks. 

Jim

On 2/21/2024 at 1:39 PM, boatmad said:

Take the 5 pm flight.

Although keep in mind that you will need to clear customs in ATL airport. That means standing in line, and possibly grabbing your luggage and rechecking it. You just want to ensure you have enough time for that if your arriving flight is a bit delayed....?

• Thanks 1