Jacques Pépin has been replaced

Probably a good move appointing two senior insiders, rather than another "big name".

FWIW, I'd never heard of Pepin until we took our first Oceania cruise in 2018. Nice that the company has given him what I assume must be an honorary position, so they can still play his name to an American customer base. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Probably a good move appointing two senior insiders, rather than another "big name".

FWIW, I'd never heard of Pepin until we took our first Oceania cruise in 2018. Nice that the company has given him what I assume must be an honorary position, so they can still play his name to an American customer base. 

Had Oceania gotten Gordon Ramsey they would have had to change their slogan to; "the finest #^^#%ing cuisine at sea".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

I just checked and he's 88 years old. Such a wonderful person.

• Like 8

FWIW, I'd never heard of Pepin until we took our first Oceania cruise in 2018. 

Big names don't always draw like they are supposed to.  (Curtis Stone?)  Pepin had a long-running cooking show on American public television and was a student/colleague of Julia Child.  His speciality was French cuisine (not surprisingly.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Oceania Appoints Chef Alexis Quaretti and Chef Eric Barale as Executive Culinary Directors

Here's a link

Oceania Appoints Chef Alexis Quaretti and Chef Eric Barale as Executive Culinary Directors - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Interesting that they don't mention the former Executive Culinary Director Franck Garanger who left O to go to Explora Journeys

From Insider Travel Report "So now that Garanger has moved to Explora Journeys, what is Oceania going to do to replace him.  The small ship premium line wasted no time in naming Chef Alexis Quaretti as director of culinary programs and development."

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Big names don't always draw like they are supposed to.  (Curtis Stone?)  Pepin had a long-running cooking show on American public television and was a student/colleague of Julia Child.  His speciality was French cuisine (not surprisingly.)

And I always enjoyed any shows I saw him in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Interesting that they don't mention the former Executive Culinary Director Franck Garanger who left O to go to Explora Journeys

Why would Oceania mention a former employee who resigned to take a job with a  competitor?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I hope they keep the restaurant on the ship

I suspect the fact that Vista does not have a Jacques is an indication of the way forward. Although they could find that Ember proves to be generally unpopular and they reimage it as a French restaurant. I've yet to try Ember but I'm looking forward to it.  

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I hope they keep the restaurant on the ship, that was my favorite ones on the ship.  Food always top notch (in my opinion).

It's gone from vista

Interestingly enough we too were lamenting the loss of Jacques…and do still. Is it?   It having been on the Vista for 3 weeks plus now….we are also liking Ember quite a bit!  Sad that we cannot have it all….but nice to know that there are options that vary based on various ships….

Next sailing in a few months will be on Marina….ao maybe we will once again enjoy Jacques…..personally we are NOT fans of 5e new Aquamar offerings…. It it seems to. E packed most days,

!  That’s what makes the world go around, right?

• Like 2

They were both on our ship in Oct, rarely interacted with guests unless platinum. Must say I miss Franck G. Waves offerings were very redundant. Food still better than comparable lines. Haven't tried EJ hoping they expand their destinations.

Jacques Pépin was the original reason that we booked on Oceania. It did not disappoint.  The sole in Jacques was the best thing that I have ever tasted on any ship. We had watched his cooking shows on PBS.  His food looked beautiful.  Jacques still remains my favorite cruise ship dining venue.  I hope that Jacques remains the same on Marina and Riviera.  We were on Vista in January. Ship is beautiful.  Ember was nice.  We enjoyed our 2 dining experiences at Ember. However, I missed Jacques.  Next cruise is on Marina.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, clo said:

And I always enjoyed any shows I saw him in.

Pepin's association with the cruise line definitely influenced our initial choice to sail on Oceania. 

We were fortunate to see him live in conversation with a food/wine writer at the Fairmont SF, part of the Commonwealth Club lecture series. His relaxed warmth and wit were even more defined in person. And both he and the moderator carried on the chat while sipping red wine.

2 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Pepin's association with the cruise line definitely influenced our initial choice to sail on Oceania. 

We were fortunate to see him live in conversation with a food/wine writer at the Fairmont SF, part of the Commonwealth Club lecture series. His relaxed warmth and wit were even more defined in person. And both he and the moderator carried on the chat while sipping red wine.

Oh, wow. Lucky you. And I mean that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clo said:

Oh, wow. Lucky you. And I mean that.

We know it. We came out of that evening feeling as good as if we'd been sipping wine right along with him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We know it. We came out of that evening feeling as good as if we'd been sipping wine right along with him.

I've no doubt. He made you feel that way through the TV. xoc

8 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Interestingly enough we too were lamenting the loss of Jacques…and do still. Is it?   It having been on the Vista for 3 weeks plus now….we are also liking Ember quite a bit!  Sad that we cannot have it all….but nice to know that there are options that vary based on various ships….

Next sailing in a few months will be on Marina….ao maybe we will once again enjoy Jacques…..personally we are NOT fans of 5e new Aquamar offerings…. It it seems to. E packed most days,

!  That’s what makes the world go around, right?

You sound like me.  We liked Ember. We weren’t thrilled with Aquamar Kitchen. We were on Vista in January.  We are on Marina in May. Looking forward to Jacques. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You sound like me.  We liked Ember. We weren’t thrilled with Aquamar Kitchen. We were on Vista in January.  We are on Marina in May. Looking forward to Jacques. 

Are they still going to have Jacques on Marina after the refit? I thought I read they were replacing it? 

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Are they still going to have Jacques on Marina after the refit? I thought I read they were replacing it? 

Where did you read that? 

Aloha. Most lines have replaced celebrity chefs. Most certainly because they want too much money. Having been blessed to be born and raised in Manhattan although we now divide our time between NY and Honolulu, we have dined in many celebrity restaurants. Yes the food is delicious and presentation and service outstanding but at a cost. For many cruisers who are not from major digits I respect the draw but I guess another trend among the bean counters to save money. 

• Like 1