Luminae update

1Virgo

If the ship has an outside retreat you can have lunch there even on port days , it’s a very limited menu but not a bad option, love outdoor retreat area on Edge class. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To my knowledge, Luminae was never opened during lunch on port days.   I have however seen exceptions on ports with arrival times close to noon. 

I've traveled in Suites since Luiminae was first introduced and don't ever remember any difference. 

Exactly.  

As I said earlier I was on the 1st Eclipse sailing with Luminae, no lunch while in ports.  And none on any other X ship we've been on.

I don't doubt there is an exception here and there but they are few & far between and suspect most were related to sailings immediately after the restart in 2021/22.

We started booking suites in 2016 when sky suites were able to dine in Luminae. As others have said Luminae is only open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We started booking suites in 2016 when sky suites were able to dine in Luminae. As others have said Luminae is only open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days.

Sky Suites have always been able to dine in Luminae, and still are......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I don’t think that bigBenboys was trying to say that sky suites had previously been excluded. Simply that they started sailing in suites when Luminae began

Yes I was. This is what I remember. When Luminae was introduced sky suites could have breakfast and lunch in Luminae, but not dinner. That changed at some point. I'll do a search.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

17 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Yes I was. This is what I remember. When Luminae was introduced sky suites could have breakfast and lunch in Luminae, but not dinner. That changed at some point. I'll do a search.

We had a Sky Suite in 2015 in the Mediterranean and ate every dinner in Luminae.  

8 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

We had a Sky Suite in 2015 in the Mediterranean and ate every dinner in Luminae.  

I might be wrong, but I remember sky suites and Celebrity suites had limited access to Luminae in the beginning. 

Luminae was introduced in April 2014. I dont remember how any months the access was limited, but it was. I want to say the limited access was less than a year.

Around the time X introduced Luminae we were doing 3 to 5 cruises a year, mostly in AquaClass. So I looked into suites.

56 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I might be wrong, but I remember sky suites and Celebrity suites had limited access to Luminae in the beginning. 

Luminae was introduced in April 2014. I dont remember how any months the access was limited, but it was. I want to say the limited access was less than a year.

Around the time X introduced Luminae we were doing 3 to 5 cruises a year, mostly in AquaClass. So I looked into suites.

I think you are talking about Coastal Kitchen on Royal Oasis class ships.  Junior suites are only allowed dinner in them.

We were on the very first Eclipse sailing with Luminae and all suites, were eating there. I know this for several reasons, but mostly because we dined nightly there with friends that were in a Sky Suite.  

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

Luminae was introduced in April 2014. I dont remember how any months the access was limited, but it was.

I really don't know if you're right or wrong so I want to be as respectful as possible. I'm struggling to imagine Luminae on an M-Class ship with only RS and PS (10 total cabins) being permitted to dine there. This is based on the restaurant's size and number of tables alone--to limit that space to 20 or so people for dinner. I just can't logically wrap my head around that even being a possibility.

• Like 5

There have been times when Luminae was open for lunch on port days. It is rare. Mostly, it is on days when the scheduled port arrival time is after 12 PM,  The most common port for that is San Juan where often ships don’t arrive until 3-ish. I can think of one other time, when we were delayed getting into a port, and they opened Luminae up for lunch. I have never known it to be routinely open at lunchtime, when the ship was already in a port. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think some of the confusion is Sky Suites were not allowed into Michael’s Club until late 2015. 

This makes far more sense.

I also think there is some confusion as initially Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites were not allowed access to Michael’s Club but did have some specialty dining.  Michael’s Club was at first limited to Zeniths and higher level suites.  When Sky and Celebrity Suites were allowed access to MC they lost the specialty dining.  That was the trade-off.

And my experience is that Luminae has only been open for lunch on sea days.  The rare exception has been when the ship arrived at a port around 1:30 or 2 PM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also think there is some confusion as initially Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites were not allowed access to Michael’s Club but did have some specialty dining.  Michael’s Club was at first limited to Zeniths and higher level suites.  When Sky and Celebrity Suites were allowed access to MC they lost the specialty dining.  That was the trade-off.

And my experience is that Luminae has only been open for lunch on sea days.  The rare exception has been when the ship arrived at a port around 1:30 or 2 PM.

This is my recollection also. Luminae was open for lunch on my current sailing when the ship left port early (2pm) but normally open sea days only. Prior to my current sailing I was on a ship that had 4 sit down restaurants open on port days in addition to a buffet and cafe - really spoiled me.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:16 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think some of the confusion is Sky Suites were not allowed into Michael’s Club until late 2015. 

Yes, the more I think about it, it might have been MC.

Aboard APEX. Luminae open for lunch today. A port day, St. Thomas with an early arrival and a 3 PM ish departure. Even our butler did not know, so, it varies.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:45 PM, RichYak said:

I really don't know if you're right or wrong so I want to be as respectful as possible. I'm struggling to imagine Luminae on an M-Class ship with only RS and PS (10 total cabins) being permitted to dine there. This is based on the restaurant's size and number of tables alone--to limit that space to 20 or so people for dinner. I just can't logically wrap my head around that even being a possibility.

And those RS and PHS get specialty dining included.  Nobody would be in Luminae.

I sailed in Sky suites and CS suites in the early days of Luminae and it was always included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:35 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Not sure what years you sailed then, but we sailed Millennium to Alaska in July 2010 and sailed Concierge Class.  Not a suite.  We were Elite but were made so because we had Diamond level on RCCL.  We had full access to Michael's Club that cruise as an Elite member.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:55 PM, BEAV said:

…and Retreat guests are not allowed to mix with steerage.

But Kate and Leo proved that Steerage was much more fun!

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

And those RS and PHS get specialty dining included.  Nobody would be in Luminae.

I sailed in Sky suites and CS suites in the early days of Luminae and it was always included.

On port days specialty restaurants are not open for lunch , we either did outdoor retreat or waited to 3 when sushi restaurant opened . 

25 minutes ago, George C said:

On port days specialty restaurants are not open for lunch , we either did outdoor retreat or waited to 3 when sushi restaurant opened . 

Pretty sure we are during normal lunch hours in Sushi on 5 when inport on Millennium last year.  It was the only restaurant open, other than the buffet.