Regal Princess Door Decorations

cruisepest

There was an an earlier post about this but that is now closed.

We just got home today from the March 17th sailing. We were greeted by our room steward on embarkation day and told we could not put anything on the outside of our door. We asked why and he said that he was told by his supervisor to tell guests to not put up any decorations on the door and he was instructed to ask the guest to remove them, then he was told to remove the decorations him self. We asked at guest services and were told that was a new fleet wide policy. We told guest services that this was not stated anywhere on the Princess web site and he just said it was a new fleet wide policy.

We saw quite a few door decorations up the first 2 days on board. Slowly they disappeared and by the end of the cruise all of them were gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are some posters here about whom I wonder when they're actually home, they cruise so often. Will be interesting to read their recent experience on other ships in the fleet.

8 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

There are some posters here about whom I wonder when they're actually home, they cruise so often. Will be interesting to read their recent experience on other ships in the fleet.

Heard from 2 others on board now and the policy seems to be fleet wide.  The explanation was issues regarding damage to door from tape, decorations that were a hazard and others "over the top".

But still all of the reports seem to be only coming from the Regal.  I totally understand them wanting to ban tape, paper, or decorations that were in poor taste but magnets cause no damage to the doors nor do they present any sort of hazard.  SMH.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisepest said:

There was an an earlier post about this but that is now closed.

We just got home today from the March 17th sailing. We were greeted by our room steward on embarkation day and told we could not put anything on the outside of our door. We asked why and he said that he was told by his supervisor to tell guests to not put up any decorations on the door and he was instructed to ask the guest to remove them, then he was told to remove the decorations him self. We asked at guest services and were told that was a new fleet wide policy. We told guest services that this was not stated anywhere on the Princess web site and he just said it was a new fleet wide policy.

We saw quite a few door decorations up the first 2 days on board. Slowly they disappeared and by the end of the cruise all of them were gone.

The Princess website takes forever to update, I would just listen to what the crew on the ship is saying and adhere to those rules.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Heard from 2 others on board now and the policy seems to be fleet wide.  The explanation was issues regarding damage to door from tape, decorations that were a hazard and others "over the top".

which ship are they on?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

But still all of the reports seem to be only coming from the Regal.  I totally understand them wanting to ban tape, paper, or decorations that were in poor taste but magnets cause no damage to the doors nor do they present any sort of hazard.  SMH.

Poor taste is a very subjective idea. I also think they are concerned about political issues

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

Poor taste is a very subjective idea. I also think they are concerned about political issues

Who knows what they are concerned about since there isn't a written policy that any of us can access and - again - every report of this thus far has come from a single ship.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

That may very well be what they are referring to a bad taste.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just like a condo HOA has a lot of rules that some don't like and challenge...the problem is usually that some people  seem to always find a way to abuse even the most basic things and condo boards have learned that they pretty much just have to enforce all the rules strictly  or soon it turns into a giant mess/argument/ lawsuit or worse.  A ship hallway is after all a "common area" and as such there have to be rules/regulations.

• Like 3

Given the current state of US politics and world conflicts I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more cabins was sporting partisan decorations of one sort or another which could result in some pretty nasty onboard conflicts as well. It only takes one person to spoil things for everyone else. We don't do door decorations and had no intentions of ever doing so but it appears a lot of folks love having them and I have seen a few that definitely made cabin identification easy. One even served as a useful landmark for us when we went the looooooooooooooong way home down a passenger corridor from the opposite end of the ship. It let us know we were getting close to "home" without paying any attention to the cabin numbers as we trucked down the hall.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

None of the decorations we saw had anything that could be described as political. There were shamrocks, seahorses, cruise ships, portholes with the passengers names. Most of the decorations were held up with magnets not tape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cruisepest said:

None of the decorations we saw had anything that could be described as political. There were shamrocks, seahorses, cruise ships, portholes with the passengers names. Most of the decorations were held up with magnets not tape. 

If you let one thing go then how do you draw a line. Can you imagine an Israeli flag next door to a Gaza flag. ?  I can just see some people arguing why us and nor them. 

• Like 4

On the Emerald in January, someone took it upon themselves to decorate the blank wall across from their cabin door.  It had boas, a happy birthday sign, and non helium balloons, amongst other stuff.  This person with too much time on their hands and too much room in their suitcase is probably also partly to blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Given the current state of US politics and world conflicts I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more cabins was sporting partisan decorations of one sort or another which could result in some pretty nasty onboard conflicts as well. It only takes one person to spoil things for everyone else. We don't do door decorations and had no intentions of ever doing so but it appears a lot of folks love having them and I have seen a few that definitely made cabin identification easy. One even served as a useful landmark for us when we went the looooooooooooooong way home down a passenger corridor from the opposite end of the ship. It let us know we were getting close to "home" without paying any attention to the cabin numbers as we trucked down the hall.

There was a L.G.B. political sign door decoration on our cruise last month. Whatever party you are affiliated with, does someone really need to put that on a cabin door?

• Like 2

If they are going to make new rules and strictly enforcing them, then how about enforcing the old rules, such as chair hogs, and dress codes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 minutes ago, tulok said:

If they are going to make new rules and strictly enforcing them, then how about enforcing the old rules, such as chair hogs, and dress codes.

Great idea! I certainly want to see those enforced.

11 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Hang your door decorations on the INSIDE of your door. 

Everybody wins!

Except for the passengers that use them to find their cabins. Now for the derogatory remarks about drunks.

10 hours ago, tulok said:

Since there are hardly any dress code rules any longer, what's left to enforce?

It might be something to do with the Regal. We did overhear that they were going to have corporate come on board to inspect the ship when they dock in Florida at the end of this voyage.  

The 8 of us were on the February 25th Regal cruise. We were on deck 14, and I do recall at least 2 or 3 doors that were decorated pretty good as they "caught" my attention as I walked by. If they were ever removed, I don't recall this happening.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, beshears said:

The 8 of us were on the February 25th Regal cruise. We were on deck 14, and I do recall at least 2 or 3 doors that were decorated pretty good as they "caught" my attention as I walked by. If they were ever removed, I don't recall this happening.

We were staying on the same deck on that same cruise, and there were definitely some attention-getting decorations on the starboard side hallways. Balloons, tinsel curtains, etc. I'm pretty sure they stayed up the whole time.

(Surprised no one has started this thread already...)

Sailing the Regal next week & have seen the Thread on Regal banning Door Decorations AND saying it is a new fleet-wide policy.

I find it interesting that there are no posts saying this from other ships.

Curious--is it REALLY a new fleet-wide policy?
My take is whoever decided this on the Regal (perhaps a knee jerk reaction to Princess corporate boarding this last weekend?) told the crew it was a fleet-wide policy so that is what passengers were told. ("Hey, not our idea...sorry!")

Obviously this is just a theory--but the fact that no one on other ships has complained about this here is surprising.

Curious if anyone sailing other ships can concur.

Thanks!

(Funny...I don't even do door decor...but curiosity & all...🫠)