Adult Only Ships

kruzgal

Back to the original question, my answer is No. There are alternatives if you prefer an adults only ship. Celebrity is marketing to a younger clientele, with an eye to the future. That younger demographic comes with children, so I can't see why they would suddenly convert any ships to adults only. 

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why 21 , in most of the world people can join the military , vote , drink and get married at 18 

in Malta where most of Celebrity ships are registered the drinking age is 17 

At times the USA is so backwards 😁

Why 21 to be an adult.  Have a good friend who is ex-military and 70ish.  He usually exhibits behaviors that most would associate with a freshman at university. 

Celebrity having no children?  Why?  Never seem to be an issue with them.   Kids Club into more dining?  Happy the way it is.  

Personally I enjoyed sailing with my adult children, spouses and teen grandchildren. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, kruzgal said:

Should Celebrity make some of their M class ships adult only? We are currently on Infinity and whilst there are very few children (because there isn’t much for them onboard) it would seem to make sense to me for Celebrity to have at least a couple of their ships as adult only. P&O do this with their older, smaller ships and it is very popular. The teen/kids club could be converted into alternative dining venues which would be a bonus. Throw in some different itineraries and I think this could be a win for Celebrity. Thoughts? 

Yes.  Either adults only or enforce no teens running the halls at night.

Are they running a Motel 6?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Just a note to those who say "if you don't want to sail with kids just don't cruise during school holidays", some of us teach the little.....darlings.....and therefore must take our vacations when they take theirs.

And I like a break from shrieking littles from time to time. 😉

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes.  Either adults only or enforce no teens running the halls at night.

Are they running a Motel 6?

I have never witnessed rampaging kids on a Celebrity ship..  When was the sailing where they hurt you?  You reference it constantly, others must have been a party to the carnage. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, desibee said:

Just a note to those who say "if you don't want to sail with kids just don't cruise during school holidays", some of us teach the little.....darlings.....and therefore must take our vacations when they take theirs.

Blessed are those who teach the little tykes, thank you for your service. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Blessed are those who teach the little tykes, thank you for your service. 

They are cute, but lord are they LOUD.  I really appreciated the Solarium area on our RC cruise.  Here's hoping it will be just as quiet and relaxing on Celebrity's version when we go this summer.

Celebrity ships are mostly adults anyway. But wouldn’t mind having it totally adult . We just got off a music charter on summit which was totally adult only , there are a few of these on summit . I think M class would make perfect adult only ships , I would like every celebrity ship to be adult only.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have never witnessed rampaging kids on a Celebrity ship..  When was the sailing where they hurt you?  You reference it constantly, others must have been a party to the carnage. 

No just woken up.  Millie during holiday cruise.  For others to have heard they would have had to been on our floor while the teens were running around..

The "it did not happen to me" so "it did not happen to you" is a silly argument.

My idea of this has not changed,  so I bring it up.  Celebrity should be adults only.

It happens all of the time on Royal.  And now it is on Celebrity.  Try a Christmas cruise or other holiday cruise.  Some of us have time off during the holidays.

When was the last time you were on a holiday cruise?  The same complaint is frequently heard about the solarium.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I was recently on the Summit which had an adults-only sailing.  I can't recall if it was 18+ or 21+.  This was a charter sailing and the age limit was set by the chartering company.  The Summit is a popular ship to be chartered and many, if not most, charters are adults only.

I have no opinion on whether Celebrity should designate more routes or entire ships as adults only.

Equinox had a clothing optional charter group last year. Minimum age was 21. They had a planning group on board working in the solarium on our cruise. Their goal was to come up with a design plan that would hang privacy curtains and rearrange loungers for Lord knows what. Needless to say, DH and I did not attend. 😎

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments. I am a teacher and so the option to sail out of school holidays isn’t there at the moment.
I don’t particularly mind there being children onboard but it struck me that Celebrity could easily make a couple of the M class ships adult only and offer something different. For as many people as they lose (families) they would undoubtedly gain with people who prefer adult only ships with different itineraries. 
They have a lot more ships than they used to and rather than trying to be all things to all people across all ships they could create something different with the M class ships. I imagine the alternative eventually will be to sell them off. I don’t think Celebrity should be an adult only line as we also enjoyed the brand with our children but it would be nice to have options. 

21 minutes ago, kruzgal said:

Thanks for your comments. I am a teacher and so the option to sail out of school holidays isn’t there at the moment.
I don’t particularly mind there being children onboard but it struck me that Celebrity could easily make a couple of the M class ships adult only and offer something different. For as many people as they lose (families) they would undoubtedly gain with people who prefer adult only ships with different itineraries. 
They have a lot more ships than they used to and rather than trying to be all things to all people across all ships they could create something different with the M class ships. I imagine the alternative eventually will be to sell them off. I don’t think Celebrity should be an adult only line as we also enjoyed the brand with our children but it would be nice to have options. 

We’ve just returned from Infinity on the sailing prior to yours and there were only a handful of kids on the cruise - it was virtually an adult-only sailing. It was our first time cruising out of school holidays and we did notice a difference. I’ve taken early retirement so that we can travel when we want rather than being forced to school holidays; for us, it was more about being able to take cruises to certain destinations at particular times of the year e.g. Mardi Gras etc. that we wanted and, of course, the huge price difference. Our kids have grown up cruising X and are still wanting to sail with us now they are adults - something that I presume X wants.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoy my job so don't want to retire early but it does mean I am tied to school holidays. If your children are grown up then presumably there is no reason why they couldn't sail with you on an adult only ship? If you had grandchildren you could go on the Celebrity ships that are newer and bigger. 

To me, making at least a couple of their older ships adult only is a no brainer, as P&O do. We are not loyal to any particular line and will always shop around, largely looking at dates, then itinerary and price. Celebrity has 14 ships so making 2 of them adult only would barely make a difference to me, but could attract others to them. I think they are missing a trick. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the creativity, but I have never minded children or teens and I’ve never seen them misbehaving on Celebrity. I’m not convinced the line would make more $$ by assigning certain ships to adults only, and I suppose that is the bottom line. 

I happened to walk by the kids’ club years ago and heard this exchange: 

Care staff: “Today we are celebrating EVERYONE’S birthday!” 

Small children: “YAAAAAAAY!!” 
It was adorable. Seeing small children being a bit dressed up for dinner always makes me smile, too. 

Edited by OrtonPark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A move to even one Adult Only ship would be opposite of what is currently being pushed to book cabins with 3rd and 4ths passengers. Many of the triple and quad cabins are blocked out on cruises where they think may have substantially more kids. 

Funny that there was a thread about X having an identity crisis and now this discussion of muddying the waters even further. X can’t be everything for everyone. Adult only cruising has its place with Viking and Virgin and the charter operations. I’ve never been on P&O to have an opinion on the adult only product they offer, but from what I’ve seen and read, the experience doesn’t appear to be great. I’d prefer X remains true to self than veer into something outside of their wheelhouse.

If one can book a suite, there will be fewer children in the RETREAT, Luminae and other restricted areas.. Gives a  break..but not kid free 24/7..or you can try an adults only all inc resort

• Like 1

17 hours ago, desibee said:

AMEN!!!! Fellow teacher here - of the special-education variety!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Couldn’t the Teacher’s Union or Association charter a ship at holiday time and make an adult cruise ? 😉

I wish.  They can't even feed us a slice of pizza at meetings.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:26 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

At times the USA is so backwards 😁

How exactly does a statement from one person represent the entire USA?

At times, Canadians can be so backwards.

• Haha 2

I’m on a cruise in the Caribbean right now. This time, it is not X, but I’ve cruised X some. On this cruise — and on the many I’ve been on — there are kids. They aren’t bothering anybody. They are having a good time too. I have never been on a cruise where there was a problem with children. So, I’ve never personally seen any reason to prevent children from enjoying any cruise.And on my last birthday I turned 80.

• Like 2