John Heald Update on Legend Schedule Due to Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Absolutely false.

So they can just tell you your cruise leaves from another port and it is your problem????

Actually it seems they only have to get you back to your port of embarkation or your home (at their discretion).  So according to the contract, a person on the ship right now that lives in Norfolk, they could put them in a taxi to their home and leave it up to them to deal with getting their car parking in Baltimore.

It could be interesting to get that into court.

But yes, technically they could tell you that your cruise now leaves from LA and if you cancel, you get no refund.  

Edited by SRF

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

So they can just tell you your cruise leaves from another port and it is your problem????

You should read your ticket contract. It's all there in black and white.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract

Relevant portion:

"Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances for any change in itinerary, ports of call, ports of embarkation and debarkation, and/or duration of the cruise"

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

Actually it seems they only have to get you back to your port of embarkation or your home (at their discretion).  So according to the contract, a person on the ship right now that lives in Norfolk, they could put them in a taxi to their home and leave it up to them to deal with getting their car parking in Baltimore.

It could be interesting to get that into court.

But yes, technically they could tell you that your cruise now leaves from LA and if you cancel, you get no refund.  

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Relevant portion:

"Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances for any change in itinerary, ports of call, ports of embarkation and debarkation, and/or duration of the cruise"

I guess it pays to read what you sign huh..

Who would have thought!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Relevant portion:

We posted at the same time.

Later it does say (Clause 8c) that they are liable to get you home or the port of embarkation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

We posted at the same time.

Later it does say (Clause 8c) that they are liable to get you home or the port of embarkation.

Which is exactly what they're doing in this case.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sgttami said:

My friend is on Legend now.  She lives in Virginia and has to disembark in Norfolk, get bussed to Baltimore and then drive back to Virginia.  She's fine with whatever has to be but said that those on the ship now are whining, moaning and complaining like never before.

Human nature will always baffle me...lol

I can understand if they're upset, it's natural. But I think they need to see the bigger picture that it's not Carnival's fault and 6 people lost their lives, leading to them having to be re-routed to Norfolk. It's all about perspective and being thankful to be here another day. They're alive and some families are mourning the loss of their loved ones. A little extra travel is a grain of sand on the beach, compared to the entirety of the situation.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SRF said:

How would it be if you booked a cruise out of Miami and they said, oh, your cruise is now leaving from LA, it is your problem?

They aren't saying that though. They are saying "We will help you get back to Baltimore."

33 minutes ago, SRF said:

See above.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noledad77 said:

I can understand if they're upset, it's natural. But I think they need to see the bigger picture that it's not Carnival's fault and 6 people lost their lives, leading to them having to be re-routed to Norfolk. It's all about perspective and being thankful to be here another day. They're alive and some families are mourning the loss of their loved ones. A little extra travel is a grain of sand on the beach, compared to the entirety of the situation.

I simply cannot fathom the grief in losing someone this way. How sudden and unexpected.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sgttami said:

My friend is on Legend now.  She lives in Virginia and has to disembark in Norfolk, get bussed to Baltimore and then drive back to Virginia.  She's fine with whatever has to be but said that those on the ship now are whining, moaning and complaining like never before.

Human nature will always baffle me...lol

It doesn't baffle me.  We have  created a society of victims.   I'll tell you what baffles me. People who don't get trip Insurance. In our case, we are spending just under $5000 for our next cruise.  The cost of the cruise, airfare, parking, hotel, food, tips, and travel insurance, etc.   I don't know about the rest of y'all, but that's a lot of money for us.  Why wouldn't you spend a couple of 100 dollars to insure your investment?  There are innumerable things that can happen to interfere with your plans.  Sorry, not sorry for those without trip insurance. 

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Moparfiend said:

I have driven from Baltimore down to Norfolk. It's not going to be 4 hours.

If you are driving, plan for at least double that time (8 hours+), or go the day before. 
Key Tip: Get an E-Zpass so you can use that lane

DON'T go on I95.  We have done that trip often from the Outer Banks and NEVER go on I95 around Washington

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I simply cannot fathom the grief in losing someone this way. How sudden and unexpected.

Absolutely terrible.  Prior to retirement I worked in a very high risk profession and one of my nightmares was getting killed at work. Just awful!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

DON'T go on I95.  We have done that trip often from the Outer Banks and NEVER go on I95 around Washington

That area is the worst!  I hate the world every time I have to drive that stretch, or really, most of I-95 in general lol.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

No but the conditions have significantly changed.  So people should have the option to cancel without penalty for cash or for cruise credit with a bonus.

If the ship is able to continue to use Baltimore as a home port after the area is rendered safe for passage, there is no change. 

1 minute ago, jerseyjjs said:

Any word on what they're doing when the Pride replaces the Legend?  Will they sail it out of Norfolk or just reassign the Pride somewhere else altogether?

It depends on when they're able to reopen the harbor.

16 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It depends on when they're able to reopen the harbor.

The Pride was/is scheduled to replace the Legend when the Legend goes into drydock in late April.    I'd bet my entire pension on the Baltimore Cruise Terminal not being open by then.

5 minutes ago, vaddco said:

I’m on the Legend now. Most people I have engaged with seem to be taking it in stride.

That's good news. Given the circumstances, I'd say that's the rule, rather than the exception.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Boy do I agree. I95 is a nightmare from the Pentagon past Fredricksburg, Va.  From where we live we use the inner beltway going east to Central Ave. exit and pick up  US 301 S (yes, there are some traffic lights in built up areas) and over the bridge into Dahlgren Virginia. Cheap gas along the road after entering Va.  At Port Royal turn L onto RTÉ 17 passing Tappahannock, etc. You won’t believe how quiet this route is, and just before meeting US 64 NORFOLK there are plenty of services. You can then take the tunnel at Hampton leading to Norfolk.

Our daughter lives in Hampton and this route from where we live in Frederick takes four hours (less from Baltimore).

Bonne Route.

Susan

53 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Is Carnival at least giving the option to cancel for a refund if Norfolk does not work for some people? 

They can cancel with $1000 penalty.  This is what trip insurance is for.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SRF said:

They may not be responsible for the situation, but they are responsible for giving you the cruise you booked.  How would it be if you booked a cruise out of Miami and they said, oh, your cruise is now leaving from LA, it is your problem?

IMO, they should offer transport to/from Baltimore and Norfolk.

Or either let you cancel for a full refund or for say 150% of your fare as a credit to a future cruise.

Miami to LA is hardly the same as Baltimore Norfolk. LMAO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

It doesn't baffle me.  We have  created a society of victims.   I'll tell you what baffles me. People who don't get trip Insurance. In our case, we are spending just under $5000 for our next cruise.  The cost of the cruise, airfare, parking, hotel, food, tips, and travel insurance, etc.   I don't know about the rest of y'all, but that's a lot of money for us.  Why wouldn't you spend a couple of 100 dollars to insure your investment?  There are innumerable things that can happen to interfere with your plans.  Sorry, not sorry for those without trip insurance. 

In case some folks do not know, some premium credit card companies offer trip insurance for no extra cost as long as you charge your travel using that credit card.  (This does NOT include travel HEALTH insurance.)

I agree. Travel insurance is a very good purchase.  Instead of paying the premium, some travelers may want to consider upgrading their credit card.  I have a chase credit card branded with a major hotel company.  After paying the annual fee I receive 1 night free in their brand hotel and trip insurance for an travel I book using their credit card.  The fee pays for itself. 

Yes, consider travel/trip insurance from the traditional sources but also look at the credit card options.  Choose what works best for you. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Relevant portion:

That's absolutely correct. They don't HAVE to offer anything. That said, cruise lines have often offered compensation for events beyond their control, such as weather. For example, the MSC Meraviglia was supposed to go on a Bahamas cruise from NY last December when weather forced them to change it to a New England and Canada itinerary. They gave the option of a full refund instead. But that was clearly a bigger disruption than the Baltimore to Norfolk switch.

A west coast Carnival Miracle cruise had to radically change their itinerary last October due to a hurricane (San Diego and Catalina Island instead of Cabo) and Carnival gave $200 compensation there. That may be a more comparable situation. But in the current case didn't Carnival offer some compensation for flight changes?

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 2