P&O vs Fred

On board Bolette at the moment and enjoying the ship.  For those interested the following are the differences I notice

Evening turn down

Captains drinks party with canapes

Nibbles with drinks

Very much better menu much more varied and many more Always Available

We have OBC but still get our discount as well

We have 2 more booked with P&O but this is definitely better quality.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

We did our first Fred cruise in November and we were really impressed, we felt it was everything P&O used to be and should be, it's all the small touches that make it a bit more special.  

• Like 4

Don't need to know what you paid.

But for the same cabin size , and position (ie inside vs inside , balcony vs balcony) what are relative prices.

If P&O is 100 per night,  what does Fred cost. If Fred is 105 then choosing Fred is a no brainer, if Fred is 200 then it's a more complex equation. 

Can you let everyone know relative cost

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Don't need to know what you paid.

But for the same cabin size , and position (ie inside vs inside , balcony vs balcony) what are relative prices.

If P&O is 100 per night,  what does Fred cost. If Fred is 105 then choosing Fred is a no brainer, if Fred is 200 then it's a more complex equation. 

Can you let everyone know relative cost

Did this a few days ago so prices and offers may have changed a bit. We were looking for the least expensive grade of cabin or suite with a private balcony. The prices are for each person when two were sharing. 

Looking at a Iceland & Greenland trips this summer from the UK....

Princess...   £98 pppn £1,564  16 nights  add drinks, gratuities etc

SAGA........ £280 pppn £5,049 18 nights "all inclusive"

Regent...... £400 pppn £,8,019 20 nights "all inclusive"

FOCL ........ £587 pppn £8,799 15 nights add drinks, gratuities, etc

If we add the extra cost on "Fred" of insurance, travel to the port, parking, gratuities. WiFi, excursions and drinks... the cost... we recon would be well over £700 pppn. 

Edited by twotravellersLondon
syntax
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

On board Bolette at the moment and enjoying the ship.  For those interested the following are the differences I notice

Evening turn down

Captains drinks party with canapes

Nibbles with drinks

Very much better menu much more varied and many more Always Available

We have OBC but still get our discount as well

We have 2 more booked with P&O but this is definitely better quality.

I'm happy to hear you are having a lovely cruise Jean.

Bolette formerly HAL Rotterdam is a significant improvement in Fred Olsen's ship offering.

• Like 4

The two previous years I've done one  P&O and a FO as has been said FO is more expensive but the food etc was much better.

The two P&O cruises I went with our daughter and grandson and of course that was good for our grandson which is why they were chosen. 

The FO cruises I went with my husband and it suited us just what we like very much like what P&O used to be. We like the small ships our first FO was on Braemar reminded us very much of Adonia

I've just booked a FO at the end of May for 8nights from Newcastle which is so convenient for us as it saves having to go to Southampton.

Jean, I'll look forward to your posts hope you have a good time

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

No one's arguing that Fred is not better than current P&O

If its like old P&O worth may be just 25% more pushing it at 50% more

It would need far far better food and service to be worth double.

Comparison  without price is not useful.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

I would also be interested in the price comparisons, but as Jean usually books an inside cabin on P&O I can’t imagine that she’s booked a cruise at anything approaching some of the prices suggested. 

I’ve never considered Fred Olsen as on the two occasions I have asked they still allowed smoking on balconies. I remember the days when our use of the balcony was ruined by smelling cigarette smoke, and nowadays you have the added issue of vapes as well. Does anyone know if they’ve moved with the times and banned smoking and vaping on balconies yet?

• Like 7

It's good that folk have the choice. We normally pick from P&O ,Celebrity, RC and NCL. What ever has the most attractive itinerary and price coupled with date wins the booking. As we do fly cruises as well, rarely look at FO, or Saga.

• Like 4

Just now, twotravellersLondon said:

We think that it's due to come in next year.

Thanks. They shall remain off our list until at least that time!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. They shall remain off our list until at least that time!

Changes apply from 1st April 2025.    When smoking will no longer be permitted on balconies (with the exception of e-cigarettes that do not emit smoke, which will continue to be allowed in cabins / balconies and designated areas).    All three ships will still have multiple designated outdoor smoking areas across several decks where smoking /  vaping will be permitted.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info on smoking, I would never have realised that there were still cruise companies allowing smoking on balconies.  As someone who has had pneumonia a few times, and struggles to breathe (with coughing manically) when encountering cigarette smoke (AND some vapes) FO will need to remain off my P&O alternative list.  

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Changes apply from 1st April 2025.    When smoking will no longer be permitted on balconies (with the exception of e-cigarettes that do not emit smoke, which will continue to be allowed in cabins / balconies and designated areas).    All three ships will still have multiple designated outdoor smoking areas across several decks where smoking /  vaping will be permitted.

Many thanks for the info. I have as much of an issue with e-cigarettes as I do normal cigarettes, so the fact that they will still allow them on balconies (and in cabins???, surely not?) continues to rule them out for me. I find the smell of both to be revolting, even when I’m some distance from them and not directly getting ‘smoke’, so it’s a risk that I just wouldn’t take - even if they were half the price of P&O! As the only cruise line that allows this sort of thing, their liberal attitude will attract a higher percentage of those who smoke or vape, which would compound the issue. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 17

Posted (edited)

We cruised with Fred until 2013 and liked them for the itineraries and smaller ships. Then the prices were comparable with the other main stream lines then for some reason the prices seemed to go up and up. Even with offers it is rare that we see any good deals with Fred.

When I have done like for like comparisons Fred is usually the more expensive of the main stream cruise lines. Fair play to them if they can maintain their prices and not lose their customer base, I bet all the cruise lines wish they could do that.

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 4

I agree about the possible percentage of smokers onboard.  I suspect this has been one of Fred's main attractions recently, a deliberate decision  by their management.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I agree about the possible percentage of smokers onboard.  I suspect this has been one of Fred's main attractions recently, a deliberate decision  by their management.

Yes, the same thought crossed my mind. They probably see it as a unique selling point as it’s the polar opposite stance that all the other lines take. Great if you are a smoker / vaper, but not for me I’m afraid. 

• Like 7

Whilst I agree that Freds prices seem to have gone quite high I do think that twotravellersLondon has over stated the prices.  Again whilst I agree ttL posts some very good comments on the forum he does appear to have the downs on Fred at the moment.

On the cruise he highlighted, his prices are based on the Olsen Suite which is the highest level. A Balcony Junior Suite is available at £5299 with either £300 obc or Free Door to Door Transfer. Fred also offers a Drinks package at £24.99 per day. Gratuities at the moment are £5 a day which I would think must be one of the lowest amounts of the cruise lines that charge.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, the same thought crossed my mind. They probably see it as a unique selling point as it’s the polar opposite stance that all the other lines take. Great if you are a smoker / vaper, but not for me I’m afraid. 

Smoking is a big no for me too.

Even though Fred Olsen sails from Newcastle which is 20 minutes from us I have never considered them and that's before reading on this thread where I have found out about the smoking on balconies.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Whilst I agree that Freds prices seem to have gone quite high I do think that twotravellersLondon has over stated the prices.  Again whilst I agree ttL posts some very good comments on the forum he does appear to have the downs on Fred at the moment.

On the cruise he highlighted, his prices are based on the Olsen Suite which is the highest level. A Balcony Junior Suite is available at £5299 with either £300 obc or Free Door to Door Transfer. Fred also offers a Drinks package at £24.99 per day. Gratuities at the moment are £5 a day which I would think must be one of the lowest amounts of the cruise lines that charge.

In fairness TTL does not state which individual cruise they are looking at so we can't judge the availability.  What we do know to be fact is that true balconies on FO are few and far between and as such they carry a very high premium.  Even at your quoted £5299 based on TTL's figures FO would be dearer than Saga who are known as a premium product.

My aunt was a regular on FO, Princess and P&O and over the years completed ten world cruises spread across these lines.  Her take on the three lines was Princess was far superior due to the overall quality of the ships.  Her last cruise was in January 2023 on Bollette in an outside cabin and the cost was high , almost double the cost for a balcony on Regent Princess in July 2022.  She had booked a FO cruise from Liverpool to the Amalfi area whilst onboard Bollette and when I dealt with it's cancellation I was astonished at the cost of £4,988pp for 16 nights in an outside cabin as this was almost three times the amount of the 14 night Princess cruise to the Mediterranean for August in a balcony on an AI basis I was also cancelling.  

• Like 1

To Megabear2 whilst TTL does not quote the individual cruise he his looking at it does not take long on a search on Freds website to find the cruise with the clues given. Iceland and Greenland and 15nts. In honesty I did not find one this year but next year cruise T2518 seems to match most of the info given. Also the price matches.

As I said I agree that Freds prices have gone quite high but when you are showing comparisons its good to show like for like. I do not think in any way that the Princess cruise cabin would be the same standard has the Fred cabin.

6 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

So FO provide a superior product to P&O but charge more?

Shock horror folks. Cruise line that charge 3 times the price of P&O provide higher quality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5