Dress code on last night of cruise

Zeke Eak

I’m currently on the Discovery. Tomorrow is the last night of the cruise. I know everyone has different opinions about how to dress in the MDR. I try to follow the dress to impress policy. I have heard the official policy is more lenient on the first night of the cruise because people may not be able to get to their bags. 

With the understanding that I do try to dress according to the policy, is it appropriate to be lax and dress in shorts on the final night since my bags will all be packed and in the hall?

This is not intended to be a general dress code discussion. Just wondering if the last night is considered different. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

We always keep a carry-on and a canvas tote bag with a couple pieces of clean clothing, valuables,  documents etc to carry off.  Not really hard to have a blouse/politics and long pants/chinos/jeans to wear the final night.  Similar on my flight home.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Zeke Eak said:

I’m currently on the Discovery. Tomorrow is the last night of the cruise. I know everyone has different opinions about how to dress in the MDR. I try to follow the dress to impress policy. I have heard the official policy is more lenient on the first night of the cruise because people may not be able to get to their bags. 

With the understanding that I do try to dress according to the policy, is it appropriate to be lax and dress in shorts on the final night since my bags will all be packed and in the hall?

This is not intended to be a general dress code discussion. Just wondering if the last night is considered different. 

Thanks in advance 

Your question is probably phrased wrong. “Is it appropriate?” Not really - and that’s not a dress code debate, just a straightforward answer based on the suggested dress code set forth by Princess which specifically says - Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant

However, I think you know that. Your question really is can I get away with it and the answer is probably yes. Princess doesn’t seem to be enforcing any dress code restrictions these days.

That being said, you have until 10 or 11 pm to put your bags out. Would it be that hard to wear pants and change into shorts after dinner and then put your bags out?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

Your question is probably phrased wrong. “Is it appropriate?” Not really - and that’s not a dress code debate, just a straightforward answer based on the suggested dress code set forth by Princess which specifically says - Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant

However, I think you know that. Your question really is can I get away with it and the answer is probably yes. Princess doesn’t seem to be enforcing any dress code restrictions these days.

That being said, you have until 10 or 11 pm to put your bags out. Would it be that hard to wear pants and change into shorts after dinner and then put your bags out?

Thank you for the response. 

I should have mentioned we are supposed to have our bags out by 8pm. Which seems very early. 

• Like 1

Go to MDR as you normally would.  After dinner, go back to your cabin, change, pack what you wore, THEN place your suitcase outside the door.  Normally, they do not remove luggage until 9 or 10 PM.

Or just wear what you are going to wear off the ship.

• Like 5

Ask at the restaurant and you will get the exact answer that you need.   I have asked and been told that on the last night they relax the dress code as many have already packed.  I don't eat in the MDR on the last night or most nights frankly.  

If you have to have your bags out at 8 PM then I would think that they have relaxed the dress code but who knows.  

• Like 2

We just wear what we are going home in the following day, and pray we don’t spill on our pants lol. I keep a small suitcase that I pack our toiletry bags in, our dirty clothes from the night before. Bring that off with me, and pick up the rest of our luggage in the area. That’s the only time I let my husband wear jeans in the dining room, lol

• Like 1

trying to think back to 2007 - our first Princess cruise - Diamond to Alaska - when did adding gratuities to your folio begin?  this does have to do with the last night in the mdr...

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

trying to think back to 2007 - our first Princess cruise - Diamond to Alaska - when did adding gratuities to your folio begin?  this does have to do with the last night in the mdr...

I remember those days, dining room full all cruise long, then 20-30% of the people missing on the last night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess does not really enforce any dress code unless you are outlandish. YES shorts are fine on the last night. Most people have their bags packed even if not put out in the hallway so it's anything goes the first and last night.

• Like 2

The dress code does not change for the last night. No one can tell you whether the dining room manager on your ship will enforce the “no shorts” policy on that or any other evening. If eating in the MDR is important to you, it would be wise to make sure you have pants to wear.

Since the dress code these days is already pretty relaxed with shorts even being overlooked even on formal evenings, why would you think they would be any more strict on the last night?

If following their suggested set of rules is important then change after dinner & put your luggage out late. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

I should have mentioned we are supposed to have our bags out by 8pm. Which seems very early. 

We always do self-disembark and carry off our own luggage.  You can select that option if you don't want to put your luggage out the night before.  We only did that once on our very first cruise and then we said 'never again'.  Just in case you want another option 🙂  

Thanks for all the replies. I do whatever my handler tells me to do. She packed all my nice pants away and  said you’re wearing shorts and a tropical shirt. Bags are ready to go. Dinner is at six. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

Thanks for all the replies. I do whatever my handler tells me to do. She packed all my nice pants away and  said you’re wearing shorts and a tropical shirt. Bags are ready to go. Dinner is at six. 

Sometimes it's just an easier option. 😉