RCL food has gone downhill fast

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Even Chops last September's Allure was the best meal we had since before Covid.  

My wife and I just did the 3 day/ 4 day back to back, and the Chops filet was absolutely wonderful- previous cruises was just a step better than "edible".   We raise our own beef at home, and are usually disappointed when ordering steak out ANYWHERE- but hands down, the Allure Chops had it goin on mid April!    Impressed!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BND said:

Cooked to order would mean everyone waiting a long time for their food.  While the quality might be better, it wouldn't make for happier guests.  It works in specialty restaurants due to minimal number of guests, but wouldn't work with 1000 or more at a time.  I think people forget that back when the food was really good, the dining experience took 2.5+ hours.  Now, it's down to just about an hour.  

Yeah totally agree with you and that's my point. Like you said you cant have fresh cooked food in the mdrs or buffet so you have to expect a lower quality food. 

• Haha 1

The MDR food was not up to par and not served hot, I know "It's the MDR, not specialty", still below any expectation. We did try the Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail offered at an extra charge, and found those items were pretty darn good. We also had Chops Grille, which was also very good....Prime Rib and Roasted Chicken. Breakfast was very challenging, nothing was done right, needed steak knife to cut toast, scrambled eggs was like yellow mud.....all edible, still below expectations

2 hours ago, scottnkim said:

My wife and I just did the 3 day/ 4 day back to back, and the Chops filet was absolutely wonderful- previous cruises was just a step better than "edible".   We raise our own beef at home, and are usually disappointed when ordering steak out ANYWHERE- but hands down, the Allure Chops had it goin on mid April!    Impressed!

And my experience on allure, my steak was much undercooked. I had mama mia scheduled and couldnt wait for them to recook. Smart slack waiter was like what's wrong it a perfectly cooked medium. I ordered medium well. No truffle seasoning on truffle fries.

I'd rank 3 out of 10. Sometimes you do just have a bad experience. 

I dont disagree with the OP the food went downhill, just think it didnt happen overnight or fast. I do rcl for other reasons, not food. Each line to me has good and bad. Royal doesnt win the food wars for me. I hope to do HAL some day just to try the food I hear is better.

5 hours ago, BND said:

Cooked to order would mean everyone waiting a long time for their food.  While the quality might be better, it wouldn't make for happier guests.  It works in specialty restaurants due to minimal number of guests, but wouldn't work with 1000 or more at a time.  I think people forget that back when the food was really good, the dining experience took 2.5+ hours.  Now, it's down to just about an hour.  

Very well said, and exactly what I've been thinking for a couple of years now. I've read so many posts complaining that dinner "should not take a whole 50 minutes!"  To us, that about covers settling in, perusing the menu, ordering, chatting a bit, then consuming the appetizer.

Those 2.5+ hour dinners were great!

• Like 6

On 4/23/2024 at 10:25 AM, Bullet100 said:

Let me start by saying we've been on approximately 35 cruises. Most of them have been Azamara,NCL,Royal Caribbean, Celebrity with one MSC included. The food quality and selection on RCL borders on par with MSC which is pretty bad. The prime rib was fatty and as tough as shoe leather. The NY strip steak that the gentleman next to us looked like a door stop and he stated it was uneditable. There is no comparison to NCL whatsoever. We tried Chops hoping for a better steak experience but it was just a bit better. Definitely not with the 190 up charge. In the future it will be NCL,Azamara and Oceania only.Bye Bye RCL !

Reminds me how much better my meatless diet is, have had very good vegetarian and vegan dishes on RC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

The MDR food was not up to par and not served hot, I know "It's the MDR, not specialty", still below any expectation. We did try the Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail offered at an extra charge, and found those items were pretty darn good. We also had Chops Grille, which was also very good....Prime Rib and Roasted Chicken. Breakfast was very challenging, nothing was done right, needed steak knife to cut toast, scrambled eggs was like yellow mud.....all edible, still below expectations

Hey Beer Belly, noticed you lost your part time job on the Simpsons.

On 4/23/2024 at 7:25 AM, Bullet100 said:

Let me start by saying we've been on approximately 35 cruises. Most of them have been Azamara,NCL,Royal Caribbean, Celebrity with one MSC included. The food quality and selection on RCL borders on par with MSC which is pretty bad. The prime rib was fatty and as tough as shoe leather. The NY strip steak that the gentleman next to us looked like a door stop and he stated it was uneditable. There is no comparison to NCL whatsoever. We tried Chops hoping for a better steak experience but it was just a bit better. Definitely not with the 190 up charge. In the future it will be NCL,Azamara and Oceania only.Bye Bye RCL !

OK, so the FOOD hasn't gone downhill fast; the BEEF has.  I cannot speak to that, because I don't have much beef in my diet anymore.

However, after being on a ship 1/14/23 when the "new" awful menus started, the food has definitely IMPROVED since then.

I was on the Jewel from 4/5 to 4/20 for her transatlantic crossing with two friends. It was their first cruise, so we ate in the MDR every night for 15 nights.  The food was very good-to-excellent.  I was especially happy to see on this cruise, at least, the lobster tail was larger and much more flavorful.  My friend is a vegetarian, and thought the Indian food was outstanding in the MDR and the Windjammer.  Caveat: she is a world traveler, been to India many times, a former Peace Corps worker, so she knows her international food.

Food is subjective, but I am not picky, been eating RCCL food for 5 decades, and I think it's not at it's peak, but definitely had good food this past cruise, and seen it steadily getting better since January 2023.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 12:38 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

I did have the best sandwich yet from Park Cafe in the Solarium

Huh? You mean Central Park, girlfriend?😅

Edited by zanydoc

38 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I stand corrected, the Solarium Cafe on the port side aft, deck 9, of the Vision.

"Girlfriend"?

🤔

I thought I saw it in a Solarium Cafe, yes, it was the Vision.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:56 AM, Engineroom Snipe said:

On all of the deck plans available for the Vision of the Seas, it is listed as "Park Cafe."

My bad-I didn’t see that you were talking about Vision. Sorry about that! 

On 4/23/2024 at 10:47 AM, prmssk said:

In my experience, food can vary a lot based on the specific chef on board that ship even within the same cruise line. 

Which ship were you on?

I agree with you. I usually find that the dining room food is usually better than the food at the buffet in the different cruise lines that I frequent. Talking specifically about Royal, on my last cruise, the Jewel OTS, this was not the situation. The food was not good in both places. I didn’t try the specialty restaurants. On the Liberty of the Seas in October, almost all the foods in the dining room (8 out of 9) were excellent and that has been my favorite cruise in that aspect out of 79 cruises. The chef was great!

Posted (edited)

We just debarked Icon yesterday and the food and service on board was fabulous. Breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining room was always prompt and delicious and dinners at the Coastal Kitchen were superb. 

We also dined at numerous venues on board; Marketplace, Windjammer, Surfside Eatery and loved everything. The only meal that was less than perfect was our dinner at Hooked. The oyster appetizer was delicious but, the Captain's Platter main course was on the greasy side. 

All in all though a terrific experience enjoying the culinary cornucopia aboard this amazing ship. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 1

Royal dining can be very hit or miss and if you cruise a lot you know what to avoid. Thankfully there are choices in cruise brands. If food is a top priority, Virgin Voyages is the best in my experience. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Jimbo said:

There is ALOT of "Loyal to Royal" crowd here so be prepared to get blasted as you will learn to know Royal does no Wrong !

Agree with your reply 100%. We are Diamond with RCI and, after our Oasis sailing July 2023, posted in detail why we would never sail them again!! The reply blasts were fast and defensive!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Agree with your reply 100%. We are Diamond with RCI and, after our Oasis sailing July 2023, posted in detail why we would never sail them again!! The reply blasts were fast and defensive!!!

Food is very subjective so I would never tell someone they were wrong when it comes to food. What I don’t understand is when people complain about food on RCI ships yet they continue to cruise on RCI. I can at least respect someone like you who shares an opinion and backs it up with their action (i.e. would never sail them again). I don’t understand people who complain about RCI but continue to cruise with them. 

• Like 2

The MDR/Buffet food is subpar compared to Specialty Dining. Yeah, that's not a surprise, but the difference shouldn't be so glaring.

I was shocked RCL floated the idea of charging for pizza. Pizza is the backup plan if dinner in the MDR is so-so. They start charging for Pizza and the MDR ratings are going to plummet.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Food is very subjective so I would never tell someone they were wrong when it comes to food. What I don’t understand is when people complain about food on RCI ships yet they continue to cruise on RCI. I can at least respect someone like you who shares an opinion and backs it up with their action (i.e. would never sail them again). I don’t understand people who complain about RCI but continue to cruise with them. 

So in your opinion if someone doesnt like one thing, the food they are wrong to cruise again with royal. I'm not a big fan and been doing more pay restaurants to get around this. Im a very picky eater. I disagree that if someone dosnt think royal has great food they need to stop cruising royal. There are other considerations. .. like no other line gives solos a discount imo. Food isnt the only consideration. No one line is perfect in all aspects.

Just my opinion,,there are other things than food to consider before someone says if you arent a fan then you should never cruise royal again. ..again that's why I do more and more pay options. I'm not a fan. And I dont do italian on any line. Ugggh. I dont eat pasta or red sauce. So to you that means quit cruising instead of getting around it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

The MDR/Buffet food is subpar compared to Specialty Dining. Yeah, that's not a surprise, but the difference shouldn't be so glaring.

I was shocked RCL floated the idea of charging for pizza. Pizza is the backup plan if dinner in the MDR is so-so. They start charging for Pizza and the MDR ratings are going to plummet.

Carnival has 2 pay pizza they added to their pizza menu and not even a whimper. Royal acted like the roof fell in. Still the same free choices. Just 2 additional not free.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival has 2 pay pizza they added to their pizza menu and not even a whimper. Royal acted like the roof fell in. Still the same free choices. Just 2 additional not free.

Carnival has better free options than Royal. Guys burgers, stir fry wok station, etc.

• Like 1