Texas flag

Marc Walker, the BingBong cruise director, made a social media post about Mariner relocating and taking its first cruise from Galveston.  Included was a photo of the Texas flag in the Promenade.  Is this a thing for every cruise from Texas, or just for this one trip?  

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

Marc Walker, the BingBong cruise director, made a social media post about Mariner relocating and taking its first cruise from Galveston.  Included was a photo of the Texas flag in the Promenade.  Is this a thing for every cruise from Texas, or just for this one trip?  

I"ve seen it on Liberty both times I was on her when she was there... I don't remember if it was on Harmony last December... I remember at the Veterans Tribute they had an American Flag up but  I can't remember if it was there all week long.

IMG_1435.thumb.jpeg.1c14d0b9086d38c6f9415956ad59270e.jpeg

• Like 1

It's a "thing" for Texas cruises. The Liberty of the Seas had the flag displayed all the times I was on that ship, too. Same with Allure.

During the parade of waiters on the last night, they also sing "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" and everyone claps along.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

EVERY Royal ship cruising from Galveston has the TX flag on display in the promenade or centrum. 

Wow. That's weird.  🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not weird at all, it’s a TX thing, many don’t (won’t) understand. 

I get that it's a Texas thing, I ask why it's a Royal thing. Is it a contractual obligation demanded by the port?  🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

I get that it's a Texas thing, I ask why it's a Royal thing. Is it a contractual obligation demanded by the port?  🙂

Good question; beats me. I wonder if Carnival ships do it when sailing out of Galveston? 

Maybe it’s simply catering to one’s customer base here. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Good question; beats me. I wonder if Carnival ships do it when sailing out of Galveston? 

Maybe it’s simply catering to one’s customer base here. 

Carnival went a bit further! https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-jubilee-floats-out-and-reveals-texas-star-bowcarnival-jubilee-texas-star-64596258.thumb.jpg.2ebb9aa28276127e3cebbc46bbd3d0c8.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

Do they do this for any other state? I've never seen it before.

It's not state but I have seen the Puerto Rico flag an ships sailing from San Juan.

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's not state but I have seen the Puerto Rico flag an ships sailing from San Juan.

I've sailed from Copenhagen and Amsterdam and never seen any national flags in the promenade.  It just seems odd.

• Like 1

They definitely want the public relations aspect of the Texas flag since Galveston is by far a drive-to port for guests.  Remember that they also handed out cowboy hats for the president’s cruise from Galveston last year.  As I recall the Texas flag is not only the state flag but also is the flag of the original Republic Of Texas so it’s got that historic importance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

But is Texans sure do.

28 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I've sailed from Copenhagen and Amsterdam and never seen any national flags in the promenade.  It just seems odd.

In Texas both US and Texas flags are everywhere. It has to do withTexas with Texas being a republic before it was a state. My condo has both a US flag and a Texas flag on the roof. Back east in Maryland we had no flags flying on the roof. On Royal cruises out of Texas it is a good marketing move. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, flamingos said:

Wow. That's weird.  🙂

Awesome is the word I'd use, and I'm not even from Texas. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

November 2012, we were on the Mariner TA Rome to Galveston.  Most cruisers were from Texas. There was a absolutely gigantic Texas flag hung in the MDR. It hung from the balcony to the floor at the rear stairs. If I remember right it was just on the last night. I don't have a picture but someone does...

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm a Long Islander who now lives in Georgia and I don't think it's odd at all. They are playing up to their customer base which is probably a bunch of folks from TX.

Edited by Southern Dan
  • Like 5

“I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it and, as in other religions, few people dare to inspect it for fear of losing their bearings in mystery or paradox. But I think there will be little quarrel with my feeling that Texas is one thing. For all its enormous range of space, climate, and physical appearance, and for all the internal squabbles, contentions, and strivings, Texas has a tight cohesiveness perhaps stronger than any other section of America. Rich, poor, Panhandle, Gulf, city, country, Texas is the obsession, the proper study, and the passionate possession of all Texans.”

― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

• Like 6