Texas flag

On 5/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, flamingos said:

Do they do this for any other state? I've never seen it before.

It seems that the cruise lines have a penchant for pandering to texas. That's irrespective of the fact that their bread & butter are the other coastal states.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

DW - who is a Texas native - noted "just how many other states do you have a store dedicated to that state's gifts and stuff when you're in the airport?" 

Actually lots of other states have airport stores with gifts dedicated to that state. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4

On 5/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, Bead Pirate said:

The bands were told that they needed to expand their repertoire to include some country songs in the mix.

Couple years ago- don't remember what cruise we were on- the band at the pool played 7 Spanish Angels.    I was shocked- and thoroughly enjoyed it!   

Posted (edited)

You should have done the President’s cruise on Allure last year. It was super Texified with a big line dancing party in the ice rink and everything. Bayley announced that they should do it on all cruises from Texas. 
The Texas flag is the only state flag that can be flown at the same height as the US flag. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Actually lots of other states have airport stores with gifts dedicated to that state. 

Seeing as she hadn’t seen one in her airport experiences in North Carolina, Florida, Nevada, California, Georgia, Tennessee, Arizona, Massachusetts, Utah, Nebraska, Colorado or Washington but yet has seen such stores in Houston, multiple terminals at DFW and practically every local mall that still has a bit of a pulse, I can understand how she’s come to her conclusion.

To be 1000% clear, we're not talking about a magazine and candy concession that sells some magnets and T-shirts. It's a "STATE NAME store" thing. 

The Heinz Store at PIT was pretty clearly exactly that.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

4 minutes ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Seeing as she hadn’t seen one in her airport experiences in North Carolina, Florida, Nevada, California, Georgia, Tennessee, Arizona, Massachusetts, Utah, Nebraska, Colorado or Washington but yet has seen such stores in Houston, multiple terminals at DFW and practically every local mall that still has a bit of a pulse, I can understand how she’s come to her conclusion.

Interesting.  I've seen them in airports in several of those states.  I guess it depends on which airports?

On 5/9/2024 at 12:49 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Thank you for this.  It seems more and more in the current social climate, our patriotism and pride is viewed as unwanted nationalism by our brothers and sisters across the Atlantic.

I appreciate your recognition that it is, pure and simple, pride; with no nefarious overtones.

Cheers!

I wish the UK had more pride and patronage like they do in USA especially for armed forces and emergency services. The abuse some of our front line people get is unbelievable .

Fly your flag with pride and a big smile. Absolutely nothing wrong in being proud of where you come from.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  I've seen them in airports in several of those states.  I guess it depends on which airports?

Reagan National has an America store and another store for the DC area featuring DC,  Maryland and Virginia. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Same here, in multiple States seen this myself

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

It seems that the cruise lines have a penchant for pandering to texas. That's irrespective of the fact that their bread & butter are the other coastal states.

Pandering?  OMG!  🙂  Yeah, that's why Royal built a gorgeous new terminal in Galveston to pander to the minority.  It's fine - why showing state pride is offensive to some people is just amazing.  I would never think twice about it when I am in another state.  It's great that there are other states people can sail from since they find it annoying to sail from Texas. What I really loved is when they had the longhorns on Voyager.  Guess that would really send some people over the edge!!!

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

Pandering?  OMG!  🙂  Yeah, that's why Royal built a gorgeous new terminal in Galveston to pander to the minority.  It's fine - why showing state pride is offensive to some people is just amazing.  I would never think twice about it when I am in another state.  It's great that there are other states people can sail from since they find it annoying to sail from Texas. What I really loved is when they had the longhorns on Voyager.  Guess that would really send some people over the edge!!!

Pandering all the way... from the live entertainment, and recorded music, to the stupid texas flag that's painted on the bow of the ship (that's Carnival though). There is a suck-up factor unheard of in any other USA ports. I can understand the Chinese Market specific ships but this is weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

To be 1000% clear, we're not talking about a magazine and candy concession that sells some magnets and T-shirts. It's a "STATE NAME store" thing. 

The Heinz Store at PIT was pretty clearly exactly that.

Does this count?

New York has "Taste NY" stores located throughout the state dedicated to food and beverages grown, produced, or processed in New York State.  According to the website, there are 68 retail locations. Not just airports but visitor centers, rest stops, train stations, stadiums, stand-alone locations, etc.

https://taste.ny.gov/

Pretty sure you can get a "I❤️NY" bumper sticker there too.

🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

Pandering all the way... from the live entertainment, and recorded music, to the stupid texas flag that's painted on the bow of the ship (that's Carnival though). There is a suck-up factor unheard of in any other USA ports. I can understand the Chinese Market specific ships but this is weird.

Just make yourself feel better and stick with sailing out of Florida.  Or is that a no no place?

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

We all know why.  We just aren't allowed to post it.  The dissidents are allowed.  But we can still laugh.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Does this count?

New York has "Taste NY" stores located throughout the state dedicated to food and beverages grown, produced, or processed in New York State.  According to the website, there are 68 retail locations. Not just airports but visitor centers, rest stops, train stations, stadiums, stand-alone locations, etc.

https://taste.ny.gov/

Pretty sure you can get a "I❤️NY" bumper sticker there too.

🙂

I have seen more cities than states.  

We live in Florida now but when we lived in Texas we cruised out of Galveston many times.  This thread reminds me of how I miss the Texas culture on board.  Cruising out of Florida is fun but not as much fun as the Texas cruises.

• Like 3

Prime example of why the crew and passengers love sailing out of Galveston. Because the haters can't take the pride, friendliness and hospitality.  😉  25 years of cruising and all I hear from crew is how much of a difference the passenger base is for Galveston. One less negative grouch to be on a Galveston ship. Need I say more.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed out of a lot of ports (Barbados, San Juan, Sydney, Seward, NYC, Bayonne, Baltimore, Charleston, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, Galveston. Fort Lauderdale, Barcelona, and Civitavecchia).  My favorites with the fellow passengers were Sydney, Galveston, Jacksonville, New Orleans and Tampa.  This was Carnival, Royal and NCL passengers.  I find Southerners on a whole are much friendlier than the NE.  The Aussies were by far the best mates to travel with.  But the Southerners were a close 2nd.  Having many family members in parts of Texas and having friendly sports rivalries (Cowboys, Astros vs Eagles and Phillies) I can say I wish I lived there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Nope, not true.  All state flags can be flown at the same height as the U. S. flag:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-515351943107

That's a bit simplistic. Full Flag Code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

to me, e & f has a slight contradiction. 'e' says that in a group of states or localities, the US flag should be center and higher. But 'f' says that no state or locality flag can be to the right of the US flag (or higher, but that's the same). Only really implying that state flags can be at the same height. So maybe group vs. just a single state or locality?

Moving on from just state flags.

The only place where it's explicitly stated "same height" in the code is in reference to 2 or more nations. It further says that In a time of peace, all nations flags should be at the same height.. The code differentiates between states, localities, and societies versus flags of other nations.

One last note, the UN flag can not be higher than the US flag anywhere in the US except at the UN.

20 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

That's a bit simplistic. Full Flag Code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

to me, e & f has a slight contradiction. 'e' says that in a group of states or localities, the US flag should be center and higher. But 'f' says that no state or locality flag can be to the right of the US flag (or higher, but that's the same). Only really implying that state flags can be at the same height. So maybe group vs. just a single state or locality?

Moving on from just state flags.

The only place where it's explicitly stated "same height" in the code is in reference to 2 or more nations. It further says that In a time of peace, all nations flags should be at the same height.. The code differentiates between states, localities, and societies versus flags of other nations.

One last note, the UN flag can not be higher than the US flag anywhere in the US except at the UN.

The salient point in response to HicksRA is that the assertion that the Texas state flag is the only state flag allowed to be at equal height to the U.S. flag is false. I sense from your comment that you agree?

• Like 1

I’m from the northeast and have only sailed from Galveston twice but loved the Texas crowd, vibe and especially the accent and sayings we don’t use. Might have actually said “y’all” and “fixin to go ashore” a few times myself 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1