This might ruffle some feathers, but…..How do you know if someone is or has been in Yacht Club?

Lbsahm

Don’t worry, they’ll tell you. 

it seem to me that that Yacht Clubbers, make up a good portion of the posters here? I wonder if Cruise Critic could add on an MSC Yacht Club sub category. 

• Haha 3

Anyone is free to post on any forum whether they have sailed that line or not.

I've never sailed Azamara but I can make 100 posts there if I want. Adding a Yacht Club sub-category wouldn't prevent Yacht Club guests from posting on the main MSC forum nor would it prevent anyone from posting on the Yacht Club sub-category. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Well of course the Yacht Club posters would have access to both the Aurea and gen pop boards 😉

Edited by peder
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Lbsahm said:

it seem to me that that Yacht Clubbers, make up a good portion of the posters here? I wonder if Cruise Critic could add on an MSC Yacht Club sub category. 

I find it amusing that you can post a question about an inside cabin and along will come somebody who responds. "if you can book the Yacht club, do it."

Now if I am posting about an inside cabin I am pretty certain I can't afford the Yacht club. lol

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Now if I am posting about an inside cabin I am pretty certain I can't afford the Yacht club. lol

That's not always the case. There are plenty of people who can afford the Yacht Club but, for whatever reason, choose to not book it. 

Now, if you prefer an interior, there are Yacht Club interiors if you want to....😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

That's not always the case. There are plenty of people who can afford the Yacht Club but, for whatever reason, choose to not book it. 

Me.   Would never use the butler / concierge etc.   Hate where YC is positioned (high deck, forward).   Don't drink alcohol.  Don't need a separate deck to sunbathe, being very pale and Scottish 👻 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

Me.   Would never use the butler / concierge etc.   Hate where YC is positioned (high deck, forward).   Don't drink alcohol.  Don't need a separate deck to sunbathe, being very pale and Scottish 👻 

Absolutely, we all choose what suits our personal needs, preferences, budgets etc best. 

As another pale and pasty Scot I avoid too much sun as well. I never get a suntan, it just adds more freckles!

• Like 1

If you're in the ship, you'll be able to see the blue wristband with the YC logo.

About personal preferences, maybe that's why the ship has over 2000 cabins in like 10 different sizes, 4 experiences levels and so many venues onboard, they'll try to please everyone and sail as full as possible!

• Like 4

These are public boards and most MSC ships have Yacht Clubs therefore you will get people posting about their YC experiences.  They way I see it is if you see something is about the YC just stop reading and move on.  There are posters on forums that if I see it is their post or their reply I stop reading and move on as I don't put stock in anything they have to say.  

There are some people that seem to have anger toward people that talk about the YC.  I am sure there are reasons but I do enjoy the YC and it is the way I prefer to cruise.  I do not prefer interior rooms but I still might read posts on that because I enjoy reading about cruising.  

Most people who are now sailing in the Yacht Club didn't start out sailing in the Yacht Club.  They likely spent many years earning the ability to afford such options.  Instead of resenting them, people would be well advised to emulate them.  Just saying. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

In other news, people spend their money differently. 

I find it comical that people who never book anything but a balcony think we’re crazy for usually cruising in interiors….and the people that only book suites think balcony people are crazy. 

Then there are the people who think my wife and I are stupid for spending our money cruising 3-5 times a year. 

Oh…our first Yacht Club cruise is coming up this fall.  We are going to Northern Europe and decided to treat ourselves….and it was cheaper than the plain balcony we treated ourselves to on another line when we cruised out of Italy last fall. .

soon to be >>>>YACHT CLUB CRUISER!!!!!<<<<<

🤣🤣

Edited by Cooper30
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I’m an unabashed YC fan, but I understand for many reasons it’s not for everyone..that said, I wouldn’t book it if I couldn’t leave the area…I enjoy the entire ship too. 

Now the Scottish and “don’t drink alcohol” comment, that’s another story.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

As another pale and pasty Scot I avoid too much sun as well. I never get a suntan, it just adds more freckles!

White - sun - lobster red - peel - white

I'd be in YC in a flash if I thought I could justify it.   But I can't.   So, a lovely Fantastica corner balcony it is.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cooper30 said:

In other news, people spend their money differently. 

I find it comical that people who never book anything but a balcony think we’re crazy for usually cruising in interiors….and the people that only book suites think balcony people are crazy. 

Then there are the people who think my wife and I are stupid for spending our money cruising 3-5 times a year. 

Oh…our first Yacht Club cruise is coming up this fall.  We are going to Northern Europe and decided to treat ourselves….and it was cheaper than the plain balcony we treated ourselves to on another line when we cruised out of Italy last fall. .

soon to be >>>>YACHT CLUB CRUISER!!!!!<<<<<

🤣🤣

the value for the price is unmatched by any other line ive been on. not saying YC is best ever. but best ever for the money is objectively true. I just got off my 1st YC cruise in a standard balcony.  I paid the same for my first crown loft on oasis 3 years ago, 1400 more for an aquatheater suite on oasis. those cabins were vastly superior than my YC cabin. but with YC i got free drinks, free internet, free IN room refills of the fridge( you dont even get that in Haven), a butler, a separate huge suite deck with outdoor buffet and a bigger than haven pool.

I hated the YC tiny closet and awkward bathroom access. but i lived. the cabin was much smaller than i was used to but the friendly and superior service more than made up for it. heck i was on the top suite on liberty of the seas and didnt have as good service as in YC. i had no suite deck, no pool buffet no butler no suite restaurant, no free wifi. the cabin was the best i was ever in but the service/perks just wasnt there.

everyone is at different stations in life. but for those contemplating any suite on any line, id say you have to try YC once. otherwise you cant really judge.

I'm paying 5x the YC rate to be in an edge villa on ascent in a few months for my retirement. cant wait to see if it was worth 5x the price....rest assured ill be reporting on that difference 🙂 One things for sure no matter what. as much as i see people complaining about standard service on MSC ships, they should go on half the cruises and spend 2x the price, they would never be complaining then in YC!

• Like 5

On 5/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I find it amusing that you can post a question about an inside cabin and along will come somebody who responds. "if you can book the Yacht club, do it."

Not true at all.  Please don't assume things about people that probably aren't true.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, Lbsahm said:

I don't think that Yacht Club needs a sub category on the forum. I do not sail in Yacht Club (so far) but may want to some day. Besides that, it is not difficult to scroll past the threads that do not interest you.

• Like 6

On 5/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

But on some ships, there are inside cabins that are included in the Yacht Club.  

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 8:48 AM, mnocket said:

Most people who are now sailing in the Yacht Club didn't start out sailing in the Yacht Club.  They likely spent many years earning the ability to afford such options.  Instead of resenting them, people would be well advised to emulate them.  Just saying. 

+1

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 8:10 AM, luckyinpa said:

the value for the price is unmatched by any other line ive been on. not saying YC is best ever. but best ever for the money is objectively true. I just got off my 1st YC cruise in a standard balcony.  I paid the same for my first crown loft on oasis 3 years ago, 1400 more for an aquatheater suite on oasis. those cabins were vastly superior than my YC cabin. but with YC i got free drinks, free internet, free IN room refills of the fridge( you dont even get that in Haven), a butler, a separate huge suite deck with outdoor buffet and a bigger than haven pool.

I hated the YC tiny closet and awkward bathroom access. but i lived. the cabin was much smaller than i was used to but the friendly and superior service more than made up for it. heck i was on the top suite on liberty of the seas and didnt have as good service as in YC. i had no suite deck, no pool buffet no butler no suite restaurant, no free wifi. the cabin was the best i was ever in but the service/perks just wasnt there.

everyone is at different stations in life. but for those contemplating any suite on any line, id say you have to try YC once. otherwise you cant really judge.

I'm paying 5x the YC rate to be in an edge villa on ascent in a few months for my retirement. cant wait to see if it was worth 5x the price....rest assured ill be reporting on that difference 🙂 One things for sure no matter what. as much as i see people complaining about standard service on MSC ships, they should go on half the cruises and spend 2x the price, they would never be complaining then in YC!

I was on the Beyond in a Sky Suite just to try it and compare the Retreat to the YC and Haven. What a major disappointment. Never again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I was on the Beyond in a Sky Suite just to try it and compare the Retreat to the YC and Haven. What a major disappointment. Never again.

Totally agree.  We were on Edge.  Apart from Luminae (which is a lovely restaurant, but the food offerings weren’t for us so we went to the MDRs) the Retreat does not offer anything like YC.  The Retreat pool bar is a joke - hard wooden junior infant school style chairs and tables, limited drinks and food menu.  Compare with YC full bar on pool deck with buffet breakfast and lunch.  Then, the suite lounge.  Again, full bar and comfortable TSL with evening entertainment vs no bar and small Retreat lounge that was empty most nights. 

• Like 3

This made me smile because I literally just came from a thread where someone asked about the boarding time listed on their cruise docs and whether MSC enforces that and someone, of course, chimed in completely unhelpfully saying, "we are booked in YC so we can show up whenever we want." 

• Haha 2

This forum was never like that til MSC grew its market in the US.  Now it’s dominated by YC and US sailings;  things being stated as fact when the information may only apply regionally, etc.   I’ve seen people make erroneous statements about Med cruises despite never having been on one. 

• Like 2