The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 16th, 2024

17 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

We are booked...Feb 15 35 Day Hawaii & Tahiti....if we cancel all I will lose is $2.  Well worth it.

Congratulations! It's a wonderful itinerary!

• Like 14

Just a quick hello to say glad Ivan is safe and sound!  Sorry to hear of health challenges with so many.     Lovely to see Baby Murphy, love Those pigtail’s! 

Very exciting to read of your plans @Heartgrove    Who knew the Templar knights still exist,  DS got a scholarship from them last year, I had no idea.

Sorry to hear you’re ill  @superoma   @smitty34877 and about your family  and @Vict0riann your DD.   Hope all recover quickly. 

my delphiniums are blooming! 

IMG_1758.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

For all you world travelers, who have gone to and seen many more places than I have—

Have any of you been to 

Boca da Valeria  Brazil in the Amazon?

or 

Alter do Chao, Brazil, also in the Amazon.

What did you do there.

Our cruise in November stops in both these places.  There are no tours posted and very little info on both these place.

Any help would be appreciated.

i have looked on the ports section and there very little info.

Terri

We visited these two villages this past March while on the Zaandam.  Not much to do in either place other than walking around.  The day we were in Boca da Valeria was HOT.  Shortly after leaving the tender dock, kids are asking for your hand so they can give you a tour of the village for a dollar.  I crossed my arms to keep anyone from grabbing my hand because I wanted to get my bearings before getting committed to a “tour”.  When I looked around, I saw DW holding hands with a kid on each side, so we proceeded with our tour.  I initially gave a few bucks out when I took some photos.  I had a portable printer with me and it quickly became obvious  that the kids wanted a photo to keep rather than a dollar.  I took and gave out about 50 photos before I gave out of supplies.  Other than the “tours” by the kids, the only other local “excursion” available was a 30 minute boat ride for $5 to see the large Lily pads.

A few days later, we stopped at Alter do Chao.  This area, which has very few foreign visitors, is a popular tourist spot for Brazilians.  On our cruise, two tours were offered.  One took people back to Santarem, which we had just visited a day or two earlier.  I don’t remember what the other tour did, but it wasn’t appealing to us, so we just walked around the town, which is 1/4 to 1/2 miles away from the tender dock.  The day was warm, but not as bad as Boca da Valeria.

Photos from Boca da Valeria.

Tender approaching the tender dock.

IMG_6043.thumb.jpeg.4e3234b57bfe4078118bb75b910f920c.jpeg

A tender at the dock.  The small boat in front of the larger boat is an example of the boats used for the $5/per person tours.

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.d71375a73219f65c87156fa423816709.jpeg

The village is definitely small.

IMG_6044.thumb.jpeg.f98295d03553436e8e17f75c1e8b8d31.jpeg

The school.

IMG_6046.thumb.jpeg.3b93a8d60159337c0429f7ca0d5cb455.jpeg

Inside the school.

IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.e813df0dbbd73281f9cee9c075204c06.jpeg

Inside the church.

IMG_6047.thumb.jpeg.f60f4d9969d535f83f441e1f88be5acb.jpeg

Some of the girls wore costumes.

IMG_6041.thumb.jpeg.763406b03dbf8c7b08577ee015b0458e.jpeg

Boys posing for their photo.

IMG_6042.thumb.jpeg.09c97d6d1940295de5b68623662c5666.jpeg

The following photos are from Alter do Chao.

Entertainment at the tender dock.

First/Last shopping opportunity, which is near the tender dock.  A few feet past this, there was an area which people had set up a few tables with various items to purchase.

IMG_6039.thumb.jpeg.9b618fae0c69960acf05c611149ab44e.jpeg

The main streets in town.

.IMG_6035.thumb.jpeg.a0ca9f660f89dcaf445bdd24fdbd64c5.jpeg

IMG_6034.thumb.jpeg.54c0952ec976de59e9275dce691521be.jpeg
IMG_6036.thumb.jpeg.310c1151a3d825bf70cae7b05b6166d0.jpeg

IMG_6037.thumb.jpeg.3f6fbbab3cc92a7a3f1a4dd84f3b543e.jpeg

Unlike most of the Amazon, several beaches are available for swimming.

IMG_6033.thumb.jpeg.dfc32bbb6e7c6df209ccc197ad13ff29.jpeg

IMG_6038.jpeg

Edited by Mtn2Sea
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

When we went to Boca da Valeria, I took hair scrunchies and other hair “ornaments” for the girls, and I bought some sheets of stickers for the boys, which I cut up into three or four stickers ahead of time.  We also handed out a lot of new dollar bills.  Ahead of time we had bought school supplies which the ship collected and delivered to the school.  We also took an interesting boat ride as the river was very high.  

in Alter do Chao we also took a boat ride and then walked around the town.  There is a shop where they sell souvenirs made from the rubber they get from the remaining rubber trees.  Very interesting.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thank you all for your responses.

I will take them all into consideration.  Right now we are thinking about staying on the ship, Not sure yet.  We will see.

Again, appreciate all your responses.

Terri

• Like 9

@Hogladyrider I am sorry about your partner having short term memory issues.  I hope you can convince him to seek treatment though I understand.  There are newer medications that may help.  We look forward to meeting you on the 35 day Hawaii South Pacific cruise.  

@kazu so happy to read Ivan did well during the surgery. I hope he is home already enjoying extra treats.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@Hogladyrider I am sorry about your partner having short term memory issues.  I hope you can convince him to seek treatment though I understand.  There are newer medications that may help.  We look forward to meeting you on the 35 day Hawaii South Pacific cruise.  

@kazu so happy to read Ivan did well during the surgery. I hope he is home already enjoying extra treats.  

Thank you, definitely look forward to meeting.  I am overwhelmed with how many pages the Roll Call is up to already.

We plan on driving from Yuma the day of departure.

I am THRILLED that Ivan did so well and boy oh boy have you done a fantastic job with giving him a makeover!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

We are booked...Feb 15 35 Day Hawaii & Tahiti....if we cancel all I will lose is $2.  Well worth it.

We are booked too!

• Like 10

13 hours ago, superoma said:

Quick update - I tested positive for COVID this morning and we assume DH is also positive. He is in worse shape than me with muscle fatigue along with a fever and cough. We have had all but one of our boosters but my daughters tell me the strain currently causing havoc is pretty virulent. I just cannot place where I might have picked it up. 

I was sorry to hear you tested positive and that your DH most likely has it too. 

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Great photos from Nuku alofa.

Thank you Vanessa 🙂

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

my delphiniums are blooming! 

Gorgeous!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruzin Terri i looked at what I'm pretty sure is your cruise on cruisetimetables.com, and it looks like at least originally Nautica was to visit Santarem twice, but apparently one is now Altar do Chao.  It is definitely a tender port, and the tender landing is not pleasant.  Unless Oceania comes up with some tours later (were there originally multiple for Santarem) I would likely consider it a "sea day"  I did walk through the town (I was more mobile in 2019) but did not find much of interest  I think Amazon is hot enough that a day in air conditioning or on a shaded balcony would be a very nice break.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  I looked at Cruisetimetables.com and did not notice that there were two stops in Santarem.  I wonder if we are in for a change in itinerary,

Terri

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks Roy.  I looked at Cruisetimetables.com and did not notice that there were two stops in Santarem.  I wonder if we are in for a change in itinerary,

Terri

I think Altar do chao is an alternate location for Santarem.  I looked at their list of ports and it is not listed as a separate port, kind of like New York, Brooklyn, and Bayonne.

Roy

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think Altar do chao is an alternate location for Santarem.  I looked at their list of ports and it is not listed as a separate port, kind of like New York, Brooklyn, and Bayonne.

Roy

Our itinerary from Oceania lists Santarem on Nov. 19 and Alter do Chao on Nov. 23.  We will see what happens.

Terri

• Like 4