New Captain's Club Benefits Have Arrived!!!

wb3hyde

I don't see a lot of differences other than the new lounge at Michaels Club and some laundry and internet perks. They do say they are going to roll out some new benefits however.

I do have one question relative to the 90 internet minutes and that has to do with the way it is presented on the web site and I quote...

"90 complimentary Internet minutes (can be applied to any Internet package of equal or greater value)"

The way I interpret this is you have to purchase a package of at least 90 minutes and you will then receive 180 minutes. IMHO, that is not a big deal...

Don, read under "What's New" on the X website. I tried to post the whole thing but

for some reason I could not get it to copy and paste:eek: It says

Elite gets 90 minutes complimentary while select gets a discount.

Oh, I decided to call Capt's Club today and for what its worth, I was

told Elite Members get 90 minutes internet FREE. The gal told me

Elite Members do NOT need to buy a package to get this perk.

We shall see.

I will try and post the paragraph again....

"In recongnition of their desire to stay in touch with friends and family while vacationing,

Elite Members will now receive complimentary internet packages, while Select members

will receive a significantly discounted rate on any internet package."

we are also very happy since we are elite and look forward to the other offerings coming later in the year. I am ok with the hours of the club, we will go after port for some drinks before getting ready for late seating! But not in dress code , because that would not work for 5- 12 pm LOL

Finally!

So far I haven't heard any non-Elites express dissatisfaction with the fact that Michael's Club will be closed off to them a few hours a day for special Elite parties. What do you all think?

I'm a mere classic, so here goes. I love Michael's Club, and I will probably run into times I want to be there and it's closed, but what's the alternative? They've got to hold these kinds of events, just like the art auctions to stay competitive, and they can't build a new room, can they? So, I'll have to adapt, and find another quiet corner...

I am happy to see the new benefits we have been hearing about for over a year finally come about. On a whole, I think they are all positive, with one small exception. That being the evening hours that the Captain's club lounge will be open (4-6pm) Does Celebrity think that all Elite passangers take early dining? We prefer late seating and these hours would not be good for us at all. I wouldn't care to be dressed for dinner by 5 to get a glass on wine for free and then have to wait from 6 to 8:30 for dinner. I hope the powers that be re-think these hours.

So what hrs would you recommend beyond turning Michaels into a permanent private club? We've used both Main and Late, so we aren't looking to what is best for 'us'. You have Main dining at 6:15pm so if you move the lounge to later than 6pm, the entire Main diners miss it. You can't move it to after Late Dining (10pm??), and you have the entertainment shows for Main and Late dining, so it seems you are left with 4-6pm. Opening it to 4-8pm makes it twice as long and unless you give out stupid drink tickets, 'X' has us standing around sucking down free drinks for 4 hrs. Could turn ugly especially if sailors such as me are involved! I bet I can knock them down like mad with rum drinks in each hand for 4hrs, Arrrhhh!!

So what other options? 5-7pm and to heck with Main Diners? 4-6pm seems that you go enjoy a drink, talk, socialize and then go to your cabin and change for dinner for Late Dining. Main diners change and come in for a drink and then to dinner, or step in for a drink and then go down and change. Seems like it works OK. Not the perfect for some specific people, but the 'best' for a couple hunderd or so.

Denny

"90 complimentary Internet minutes (can be applied to any Internet package of equal or greater value)"

The way I interpret this is you have to purchase a package of at least 90 minutes and you will then receive 180 minutes. IMHO, that is not a big deal...

No, on Millennium I bought a package of 90 minutes and then received a credit on my on board statement for the exact same amount. So I ended up paying $0.

Floris

Don, read under "What's New" on the X website. I tried to post the whole thing but

for some reason I could not get it to copy and paste:eek: It says

Elite gets 90 minutes complimentary while select gets a discount.

Oh, I decided to call Capt's Club today and for what its worth, I was

told Elite Members get 90 minutes internet FREE. The gal told me

Elite Members do NOT need to buy a package to get this perk.

We shall see.

I will try and post the paragraph again....

"In recongnition of their desire to stay in touch with friends and family while vacationing,

Elite Members will now receive complimentary internet packages, while Select members

will receive a significantly discounted rate on any internet package."

Hi Lois !

Your question was addressed earlier in the thread. The direct answer from Celebrity was that the 90 minutes is complimentary for Elites. As Celebrity sells minutes in packages, You will have to "buy" a 90 minute package, but for Elites, the charge will be refunded. You do not have to purchase additional minutes if you do not choose to.

I hope this helps !

Hi Richsea !

I agree. While I've been vocal about Celebrity's perks, it was because they were lacking vs their competition, and did not encourage loyalty. That is now behind us. Celebrity is taking the bull by the horns, and doing something about it. I'm happy.

If I may offer a word of advice, it's to be patient. It's clear, there is more to come. This is from Today's Press Release:

For me, just to be on a Cruise is a wonderful event. As the Loyalty benefits are improved, that's just the Cherry on top of the Sundae. I remain confident that we will be pleased with future Captains Club news from Celebrity.

I agree! We're very excited to hear about the new perks especially the Internet and laundry. We'll be anxious to hear about other perks in the works. We're doing a B2B Panama Canal sailing in Oct on the Infinity. Hopefully it will all be in place by then.

Lynn

My wife and I are headed out for Celebrity Constellation's 14 nights Scandinavia / Russia cruise and the 14 day Trans Atlantic following.

In reading comments, I saw mention of a embarkation party available to Cruise Critic members. Does anyone out there know about this? Or where I may go to find out about it.

Thanks , KELS

Kels, I am jealous of your two trips. :cool: Our Scandinavia/Russia cruise was our best ever (and we've done 40+ cruises). And we just love TAs, especially after a port-intensive itinerary like the Baltics. Have an absolutely fabulous time. Let me know if you need someone to carry your luggage. I'll make myself available. ;)

Here's a link from the Sr VP of Sales for Celebrity. Just click "learn more".

Maybe this will answer a ton of questions or maybe create more questions!!

Email.jpg

I couldn't get your link to work to "learn more", but this should take you to the right page:

www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/CEL_CaptainsClub/lp.html

You can print out the PDF with all the benefits.

Having been a vocal critic of Celebrity's Elite program over the past year or more (when they hinted they were going to do something and did not), I will now say that these changes are very positive and address most of the issues that I had with the program.

My wife and I have moved our last 3 cruises from Celebrity over to RCI, not specifically because of shortcomings in the Captain's Club program, but it was one of those factors where we did not feel that loyalty and repeat business was recognized and valued. I see these changes have put RCI and =X= on equal footing, and all else being equal =X= has a better shot at getting my next booking.

My only suggestion would be to review the cocktail hour times - they are great for early sitting but for late sitting this is a bit awkward. I normally head for the gym at about 5, then grab a bite of sushi at about 6, and have a glass of wine in the cabin before dinner. I'd have to make a concerted change of schedule to go for drinks in the 4-6 timeframe, and it probably wouldn't help my motivation to hit the gym!

Really like the Laundry perks and I am almost to Elite --- only another couple to go!

the idea of a coffee house where I can get a specialty coffee sounds really nice to and I love Micheals Club....

The Laundry perk was the only reason I was trying to shift to Princess now I can stay where I love it with "X"!!!!

Thank you X

My husband and I are both ELITE members....so does this mean we EACH get 90 free internet minutes???? After he uses up his minutes then I can use mine...something to think about!!!!!

My wife and I are headed out for Celebrity Constellation's 14 nights Scandinavia / Russia cruise and the 14 day Trans Atlantic following.

In reading comments, I saw mention of a embarkation party available to Cruise Critic members. Does anyone out there know about this? Or where I may go to find out about it.

Thanks , KELS

KELS, if you are on the August 22nd Baltic cruise with us, do sign up for the CC party and come to our roll call site. We already have enough signed up for the "official" party. We are also going to meet at the aft bar on deck 10 (outside-weather permitting) after the life-boat drill. I imagine the CC party will be on our first sea day. You can find a list of all those who have signed up on our site as well as lots of useful information. Hope to see you on the 22nd.

Well, I re-read the laundrey perks. Sounds good. I had missed the "and pressed" part somehow. Internet does not interest me. I get away to get away! but I am happy for those who like to get on line while aboard.

But I am still waiting, and hoping, for an additional Elite level.

Wonder what is in the coupon book?

A question---will there be crossants,juice and such in Michael's Club in the AM? The almond croissant would sell me.

My husband and I are both ELITE members....so does this mean we EACH get 90 free internet minutes???? After he uses up his minutes then I can use mine...something to think about!!!!!

Yes this was my question as well, I think as I see no reference to per stateroom that both the laundry and the internet perks are per person - I suppose that reflects that we used to get 2 coupon books - one each on past trips - so 180 minutes would be a huge help for me. I am also assuming I can apply them to wifi access - which will be a huge help as sadly the only way we can cruise is to still keep an eye on the major work issues back home

A

A question---will there be crossants,juice and such in Michael's Club in the AM? The almond croissant would sell me.

On our sailing in June on Century there were very nice mini chocolat and almond croissants (although not the same taste as in the Cova), freshly squeezed orange juice, smoothies, cappucino's, champagne cocktails, etc.... It was in the testing period, so I'm not sure if the same choice is continued.

Hi Phil,:) not that it matters but I called Capt's Club today.

I specifically asked about these new internet perks and was told

its 90 free minutes for elite members. I was told that elite members

do not have to buy a package to receive the perk.

I am sure we are all going to find out soon enough when folks

go on their next cruises;)

Thanks Lois. That's :cool:.

Phil

The way it was done on our cruise, and it may not be that way now, was we were charged 90 minutes of internet time on our sea pass card. And later, the charges were zeroed out.

Just returned form the Century. You are correct, and each Elite member receives 90 minutes. You must sign up on both of your cards though. 180 free minutes aint bad.:)

Hi Melissa !

I'm an Elite Member. From my observations, I've noticed that Michael's Club gets little use during Daytime hours, especially on Port Days, when it's often empty. I feel the Captain's Club upgrade will allow Michael's Club to be better utilized.

I've been suggesting for years (both on Cruise Critic & to Celebrity) that Michael's should be used as a Lounge for their best customers, during non-peak times.

I'm very happy that Celebrity has listened to us !

Just back from Norway cruise.

You got your wish. Elite and suites were issued cards to use Michaels. It was packed on Century from 4-6pm. It is basically unused during the day so they are getting some use out of a beautiful room.

If we, as Sky Suite occupants, were to be closed off from the lounge, I would be more than simply "dissatisfied".

Captain's Club says that all suite passengers will also get the Michael's Club Lounge benefits, but I want to see proof in writing of that before we make final payment.

Suites receved the benefit on our just completed Century cruise.:)

Add that to the long line ups at Princess check in, being #185 on the wait list for either early or late seating, the charge for juice at dinner time, numerous announcements..

In our experience, the base Celebrity product of food and service is superior to that offered by Princess. These new perks are a bonus on top of a superior product. We decided several years ago (after the long lines and wait list) that Celebrity was consistently better than Princess (except for the Pizza). Princess is a great product for Princess lovers but the previously better perks were not enough to draw us back.

Not to get in a mud slingin fight, but you are correct. We sailed on princess last fall, and enjoyed the cruise, but it did not compare to the Century cruise we were just on.:)

So what hrs would you recommend beyond turning Michaels into a permanent private club? We've used both Main and Late, so we aren't looking to what is best for 'us'. You have Main dining at 6:15pm so if you move the lounge to later than 6pm, the entire Main diners miss it. You can't move it to after Late Dining (10pm??), and you have the entertainment shows for Main and Late dining, so it seems you are left with 4-6pm. Opening it to 4-8pm makes it twice as long and unless you give out stupid drink tickets, 'X' has us standing around sucking down free drinks for 4 hrs. Could turn ugly especially if sailors such as me are involved! I bet I can knock them down like mad with rum drinks in each hand for 4hrs, Arrrhhh!!

So what other options? 5-7pm and to heck with Main Diners? 4-6pm seems that you go enjoy a drink, talk, socialize and then go to your cabin and change for dinner for Late Dining. Main diners change and come in for a drink and then to dinner, or step in for a drink and then go down and change. Seems like it works OK. Not the perfect for some specific people, but the 'best' for a couple hunderd or so.

Denny

Denny, you are missing my point. By having the lounge only open from 4-6 the late dinners are basically eliminated. Unless they want to go to Michael's Club in a bathing suit or all sweaty from a port day...NOT. Surely they can extend their hours to accommadate both seatings. Your position is "to heck with the late diners". If it could only be open for 2 hours in the evening, yes, 5-7 would be a better compromise. Simply speaking for myself, I like many cruiser enjoy a more relaxed evening onboard ship, with a cocktail before dinner and a later meal than what is normally had at home.

YES! We each received 90 minutes free. We take a vacation to get away from the %&*#@ computer, but it comes in handy to check email, and flights info/early checkin.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I'm no longer seeing any reference to galley or bridge tours as a benefit of Select or Elite. This was the perk I was most looking forward to on my first cruise at the Select level. Am I overlooking it?

Also, most of you on this thread are Elite and may not have noticed that Select now starts at 5 credits instead of 6.

We were offered both tours on our Century cruise.:)

Archived