Pisa or Florence?

delluser

Cruising in a few weeks and we port at Livorno. Trying to decide where to spend our day: Pisa or Florence. I'm not sure my teens will want to see more art (we will have already been in Barcelona, Naples, Rome), but if Florence is really a do not miss destination, then we'll select that over Pisa. Any suggestions?

Florence, the absolute birthplace of the Renaissance and the place where some of the world's most famous artists lived and worked, a do not miss destination?

Of course it is. :cool:

Pisa, on the other hand, is the site of a bell tower that's crooked. Big whoop. (Yes, I know there is more to see in Pisa, but I've been and it isn't "all that.")

Cruising in a few weeks and we port at Livorno. Trying to decide where to spend our day: Pisa or Florence. I'm not sure my teens will want to see more art (we will have already been in Barcelona, Naples, Rome), but if Florence is really a do not miss destination, then we'll select that over Pisa. Any suggestions?

I know some will disagree, but you can do both in one day. Yes, you will only get a taste, especially of Florence, but if Pisa is somewhere you wanted to visit, take some photos, and then continue to Florence. There are several threads discussing how to accomplish. Train, private driver or ship tour.

I know some will disagree, but you can do both in one day. Yes, you will only get a taste, especially of Florence, but if Pisa is somewhere you wanted to visit, take some photos, and then continue to Florence. There are several threads discussing how to accomplish. Train, private driver or ship tour.

You can do both in one day. If I had to choose on how to spend a full day, I would choose Florence and that is without going into an art museum. We had a great time just walking the streets and seeing the sights from the outside.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/702

You both beat me to it!!

If you want to go into Florence's museums and visit the Statue of David, there's no chance of Pisa same-day.

But if you just want an over-view, wander the streets, see the duomo, visit the bridge, etc then you can build-in a visit to Pisa.

If you take the train it stops at Pisa on the way to/from Florence, and your through-ticket permits you to stop off at no extra cost. It's a simple 20-25 minute walk from Pisa Centrale to the Field of Miracles and 20 minutes there are sufficient to tick the box & take photos. So Pisa can cost as little as 90 minutes out of your schedule.

We took the train from ship to Florence, armed with the times of trains from Florence to Pisa and Livorno and from Pisa to Livorno, so that we could decide according to time & circumstances.

Florence first for several reasons

- it was our primary objective, if we'd wanted to stay longer we could put Pisa on the back-burner for another time

- it was furthest from the ship, and it's always prudent to visit furthest places first so that if delayed one can make up time by deleting sights on the way back.

- there are more trains back to Livorno from Pisa than from Florence - local trains as well as the approx. hourly regional trains from Florence.

Others have recommended Pisa first, to avoid the crowds. But we didn't experience crowds mid-to-late afternoon, and crowds are in any case pretty inconsequential if you don't want to climb the tower - something you'd struggle to fit in when visiting both Pisa & Florence.

There's no difficulty fitting in both, but of course both will be comparatively short visits - and I can understand those who'd argue for visiting just the one

JB :)

I enjoyed both Pisa and Florence; however, if only wanting to visit one I'd choose Florence over Pisa. As others have said, you can visit both in one day although they'd be short visits.

If you want to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa you will need to reserve a time in advance.

I agree with others that Florence is good place to see and we have been there several times.

I would recommend Pisa if it's coupled with Lucca. Both of these are smaller areas that you can spend time in each of these 2 towns. Following is a link from Rick Steves which we used for one of our previous Italy trips:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/tuscan-treats-pisa-and-lucca

Anywhere you visit in this region is a good choice.

Pisa and Lucca is a wonderful combination.

We took a private tour to Pisa , Lerici and Lucca ( on our day docked in Livorno).

We had a lovely lunch seaside in Lerici ( not touristy at all) and visited a castle perched on cliffs.

We rode bicycles around the wall and through the city in Lucca , then had gelato.

An amazing and memorable day with Andreas from Gioia Tours.

http://www.tours-europe.com/contact.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rome in Limo offers a great tour of both cities in one day. You really don't need a lot of time in Pisa unless you want to climb the tower or go into the buildings.

I did this tour with Rome In Limo and we saw everything the cities had to offer. They are great!!!

For the children I would do Pisa only.

For you I would do Florence only.

I would not do both.

One thing about Med cruises is that they are so port intensive and often involve a lot of touring is to pace yourselves. Otherwise you can easily get burned out during the cruise.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

If you can do both, do both. Pisa is AWESOME. You don't need a full day and you don't need a tour guide. We arrived by train, took a 3 1/2 hour layover and saw the tower, with time to spare. It was breathtaking, to me. I'm a professional tourist. Cheesy souvenirs and all. Florence is awesome as well. We did use a tour guide and it was so worth it. The whole tour was like a fun History lesson.

Thanks for posting this question as I'm having this debate as well. I'll be in Rome 3 days before my cruise and 1 day I will be traveling to Florence, so figured I should be able to stop in Pisa as well.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, it's easier to go to Pisa, then to Florence and then back to Rome? I'll be doing this day trip on my 2nd day in Rome, so I really have the entire day to explore and plan to start early.

I'll be in Rome 3 days before my cruise and 1 day I will be traveling to Florence, so figured I should be able to stop in Pisa as well.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, it's easier to go to Pisa, then to Florence and then back to Rome? I'll be doing this day trip on my 2nd day in Rome, so I really have the entire day to explore and plan to start early.

While it can be done it would be a very long day with not much time in either place.

There are both regional and fast train options between Rome and Pisa but on a day like this it only makes sense to use the fast train because the regional train takes twice as long (four hours, vs. two hours for the fast train).

Let's lay it out for perspective.

The first fast train of the day from Rome to Pisa departs at 6:15 AM and arrives at 8:23. If purchased well in advance you can find fares as low as €9 (Super Economy), if purchased at the last minute the full fare is €46. The most common fare is Economy at €29 (this does require advance purchase).

The leaning tower area, Piazza dei Miracoli, is a mile and a quarter from Pisa Centrale train station. If you walk or take a bus it will be about 30 minutes, in a taxi 10.

If you want to climb the tower you should make reservations in advance as access is strictly controlled and you may not get in if you wait until you are there.

There's a fast regional train from Pisa Centrale to Florence at 11:12 AM, giving you about 90 minutes for the tower, etc. This train arrives in Florence at 12:00 and the fare is only €8,10. As this is a regional train the ticket must be stamped/validated before boarding the train.

The last train back to Rome from Florence departs at 10:04 PM, arriving at 11:35 PM, giving you about ten hours in Florence. The lowest fare for this train is €29 (Super Economy); most people who purchase in advance will pay €34 (Economy). The last minute walk-up fare is €43. These tickets are for specific seats on a specific train and do not need to be validated.

While it can be done it would be a very long day with not much time in either place.

There are both regional and fast train options between Rome and Pisa but on a day like this it only makes sense to use the fast train because the regional train takes twice as long (four hours, vs. two hours for the fast train).

Let's lay it out for perspective.

The first fast train of the day from Rome to Pisa departs at 6:15 AM and arrives at 8:23. If purchased well in advance you can find fares as low as €9 (Super Economy), if purchased at the last minute the full fare is €46. The most common fare is Economy at €29 (this does require advance purchase).

The leaning tower area, Piazza dei Miracoli, is a mile and a quarter from Pisa Centrale train station. If you walk or take a bus it will be about 30 minutes, in a taxi 10.

If you want to climb the tower you should make reservations in advance as access is strictly controlled and you may not get in if you wait until you are there.

There's a fast regional train from Pisa Centrale to Florence at 11:12 AM, giving you about 90 minutes for the tower, etc. This train arrives in Florence at 12:00 and the fare is only €8,10. As this is a regional train the ticket must be stamped/validated before boarding the train.

The last train back to Rome from Florence departs at 10:04 PM, arriving at 11:35 PM, giving you about ten hours in Florence. The lowest fare for this train is €29 (Super Economy); most people who purchase in advance will pay €34 (Economy). The last minute walk-up fare is €43. These tickets are for specific seats on a specific train and do not need to be validated.

Thank you for this and that is a very long day. I think I'll just stay with my original plan and go only to Florence.

I think Florence deserves at least three or four days, which you can't do from the ship.

Florence has Pisa beat by far, but if you plan to go back to Italy and spend some time in Florence and Rome, then go to Pisa.

We find the responses to this thread really interesting. There are very few surprises from the regular posters who we know understand and know Italy. Some of the other comments are ..shall we say eye opening. For us, the short answer is that we would spent the entire day in Florence...and we have actually spent many days (and nights) in that city. As to Pisa, it has one small area of interest (The Field of Miracles) which involves the Tower. The Tower does indeed lean (as do many towers throughout Italy) and the surrounding grass is quite nice :). But Florence is just an amazing city, whether you are a tourist there for the first time, or an old salt (like moi) returning for the 10th time! Anytime DW and moi are driving in the area of Florence (we have done numerous driving trips throughout Italy) we will always stop for at least 2 or 3 nights at the Hotel David (our usual home in Florence. As to Pisa, unless we had friends who insisted in stopping in that city...we would bypass the place.

For a cruise day an issue is whether to reduce one's time in Florence to allow time to visit Pisa. Personally, we would not want to reduce the already too short of time in Florence. That being said, we do understand the attraction of the Tower...and that many folks want to simply say "We saw the Leaning Tower of Pisa."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of responses given seem to sway towards Florence or both sites. Florence is on my list for my next visit to Italy but I had to choose Pisa and Livorno on my first visit. To me, visiting and experiencing a site is more important than just seeing it.

As a child growing up, I saw ads with the leaning tower and to me it represented Italy and something I really didn't didn't envision having the opportunity to see. It was one of the very first things I put on my "bucket list" some 50 years ago. (darn Chef Boyardee commercials :)) While it may be "meh" to some, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I first saw it with my own eyes.

If I were you, I'd check with your teens as they can determine how enjoyable a site visit can be.

I agree the responses are interesting.

Pisa does have the wonderful Leaning Tower - one of the four buildings that make up the Cathedral Complex called Campo dei Miracoli

But, this is a one hour stop. and, to the right of the Complex are stalls that remind one of Coney Island - and, not in a good way.

But, Florence is Art and Churches ( sorry for the simplification). Your boys may not like either, but Florence will definitely give them some great memories - if only for the Gelato!!