Alaska or Caribbean?

shipssailing

Having just returned from Alaska, we personally would pick the Caribbean, but that's completely a matter of taste. I'm sure most of the feedback you get will encourage you to book Alaska.

(FWIW, we couldn't stand the heat in the Caribbean during the height of summer so it's pretty theoretical on our part either way.)

Alaska -- a totally different experience than the Caribbean. For me, the Carib is about a hot place to escape winter :) Alaska is about marine wildlife, stunning scenery, and fascinating ports (once you get away from the dock area)

Since you live so far away from an Alaska cruise, you really need to do your own research to decide if Alaska appeals to you. It is a long way to travel across the continent to get to a cruise that you are taking only because a few strangers on a chat forum voted for it ;)

For me it would be the Caribbean. My daughter lives in Alaska. It CAN be cold and dreary even in the summer. For me personally when I cruise I don't want to be cold. That's just my opinion. Yesterday it snowed it Denali state park. All depends on what you expect from your cruise. Alaska is too dicy for me.

Love both but they are such different experiences it is hard to compare. Main reason I would go with Alaska is because summer and spring break cruises in the Caribbean are a bit too 'Youthful' for me. My experience is there is more of a booze cruise attitude when school is not in session. That and roving bands of feral children. Don't see that near as much on the Alaska cruises. Also love the Caribbean trips, but we book dates that will likely have a more adult crowd. Got nothing against kids, but now that I am an empty nester, I prefer a more mature passenger mix. Others may prefer the summer Caribbean cruises just because they are more lively.

Alaska and my reason for saying so is very few ships sail Caribbean in Summer so your choices are limited.

They are very different cruise experiences. I love both but I would recommend a new cruiser follow the pattern the cruise lines do......

Winter in the Caribbean

Summer in Alaska (Europe, Canada/NE, Bermuda)

That being said, my DH and I loved sailing Caribbean in summer and did so many times. We only stopped because HAL stopped sailing there in Summer and HAL repositioned their ships to other regions.

JMO......

Edited by sail7seas

They are two totally different "feels"...the Caribbean is all about relaxation, and being "laid back" If you've seen on island, you've pretty much seen 'em all........Alaska is about seeing the sights....you don't go to Alaska to sit on the ship on a port day, or shop at a port store....you go to SEE ALASKA!

The Caribbean can be much cheaper than Alaska....in Alaska you almost have to pay for excursions to see many of the sights.....in the Caribbean, you rarely need to pay someone to show you a good time!

Edited by cb at sea

I am sailing to Alaska next year, at the end of the summer, the ship was going to where I wanted to go, just not ending up where I want to end up, so I am having to do a lot more research than a Caribbean cruise. That said, I do investigate all ports. I know it says you are in SC, but are you near the beach? Then I would choose Alaska, to just get away from seeing sand and sun.

I love the Caribbean, but I like traveling there during winter months, so that my land excursions are not excruciatingly hot. There is hot in SC, but there is nothing so over bearing as 110 degrees with 100 humidity. There is no way to escape it. Even the cabins run a bit warm when it is that hot (I am thinking Belize in September) but Belize in January is wonderful, the water cool and refreshing, the air warm, the sun bright. Perfection days in the mid 80's to low 90's. I love exploring Mayan ruins, but I would be hard pressed to wander into the jungle when the temps are around 115.

Again, it will matter what you want from a cruise, but if you don't "need" beach, sail Alaska, and save beach for a 5 day cruise in January, when you cant take the cold anymore.

Having just returned from Alaska, we personally would pick the Caribbean, but that's completely a matter of taste. I'm sure most of the feedback you get will encourage you to book Alaska.

(FWIW, we couldn't stand the heat in the Caribbean during the height of summer so it's pretty theoretical on our part either way.)

Am I the only one to sense a contradiction here: why would someone who

"... can't stand the heat in the Caribbean..." prefer it to Alaska for a June or July sailing?

Alaska. Two reasons. 1 - I love Alaska. 2 - I can't figure out why anyone goes to the Caribbean at any time of the year as I find it uninteresting and boring with totally pushy people in too many of the ports.

You asked for opinions and this is mine.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We've done both. Which is the main reason you want to take the cruise: Sun/fun and beaches or magnificent natural beauty? As for the above comment, we take a 10/11 day Caribbean cruise every winter for a winter get away to the sun/warm weather/beach because it's little more then half the price of flying to and staying on an island.

They're two entirely different experiences. For us, our Alaska cruises have been much more "adventure" oriented (dog sledding, float planes, hiking, glaciers, whale watching, etc.). Our Caribbean cruises are much more laid back and beach oriented. Both are great but the incredible beauty of Alaska really shouldn't be missed.

I think it depends on what you are going for, relaxation or an adventure. I absolutely loved our Alaskan cruise, and hope to go again in a few years, to include the cruise tour land portion. It is so much about the destination, the cruise being a means of transportation as some of the areas you can only access by ship. The Caribbean is fun and relaxation for us, but I would go any time of year I could getaway and could afford to. The ship is important to us on the Carribean. It less so on the Alaskan, as long as it is clean and the food isn't too bad.