Has anyone upgraded from Classic to Premium and regretted it?

tbmrt

For $11 a day to upgrade to get better wines in the dining room and better cordials after dinner is worth it to me. With regard to the beers, Celebrity has very poor selection of premium beers after they closed Michael's.

For $11 a day to upgrade to get better wines in the dining room and better cordials after dinner is worth it to me. With regard to the beers, Celebrity has very poor selection of premium beers after they closed Michael's.

Hi WINE-O,

That is sad to hear. Mr Sloop very much enjoyed "the world of beer" / craft beers that were available last year on The Summit when Michaels Club was for a short spell the Sports Bar / Craft Beer Bar.

I guess it is to be expected tho, that when that went, many of the great beers would too... Not all making it over to CellarMasters List :(

Hopefully tho, if rumours are true that the GastroBar format is successful on The Eclipse, then things will be looking up for Beer Drinkers on Celebrity in the next few years as they do the changeover / revamp to CellarMasters space on the other ships.

For now we'll just have to be content with the Premium Wine List (like yourself)

Lol, definitely a first world problem :D

Cheers!

Hopefully tho, if rumours are true that the GastroBar format is successful on The Eclipse, then things will be looking up for Beer Drinkers on Celebrity in the next few years as they do the changeover / revamp to CellarMasters space on the other ships.[/Quote]

It's not on Eclipse until April 2015, the trial period is on Equinox.

With lots of people taking the 123 Go Perk of the Classic package, I was a little put off by the up-sell attempts to get us to by the Premium. One day the Cruise Director even suggested it was a "no-brainer" to do the upgrade which I didn't find to be appropriate.

Fortunately, we were very happy with the Classic options that were more than adequate for our needs and were glad, that even though we have no brains, we rejected the up-selling.

It's not on Eclipse until April 2015, the trial period is on Equinox.

Thanks. My mistake.

Lol, sometimes I wish Celebrity had not named two of the S-Class Ships (both launched back to back) so similarly... Both beginning with "E"

I know based on other's posts here that I am not the only one to get them confused at times.

Cheers!

Because I love Molecular bar, I find that on S class ships I don't at all regret it.

On M class however, find I an get away without it, and even when I have NO package (I often book last minute) I do better paying as I go than the value of the package, within +/- $25 or so. I like fresh juice, Coke's a Bloody Mary, couple mixed drinks./martini and glass or 2 of wine at dinner. I don't really get "loaded" on booze any more. And the daily intake varies of course as to sea day, port day etc...

LOL -- I find the whole drink package to be a paradox! ;)

We have always passed on purchasing the Basic package. We've never (on any ship) had a bar bill high enough to justify that cost. Frankly, we don't drink much, and have access to the Elite lounge, morning and evening. If I want a cappuccino, I usually get it there. However, our last cruise was booked through the 123GO promo, so we got the drink package. After a little research, we decided to upgrade to the premium package -- and that cash outlay turned out to be worth every penny! :cool:

Instead of being limited to a couple of cheap wines by the glass in the MDR, we had a nice selection. If we chose something over the package limit, we were just billed for the difference in price. We also found that drinks in the Martini Bar were covered, and I was told that the Molecular Bar is, too. We could get specialty coffees, any time of day, in the Cafe al Baccio. We also weren't just limited to the cheapest bottled water on the ship. On our way back to the cabin every night, we stopped to pick up a bottle of Evian and a bottle of San Pellagrino, to keep in our room. :p

Because I love Molecular bar, I find that on S class ships I don't at all regret it.

With only one sailing on "X" my opinion might not be taken very seriously however, we originally purchased the basic package and upgraded after the first day. We spent the first night at The Molecular Bar (all martinis there are over the $$ limit for our original package). As cle-guy has said he loves The Molecular Bar, we did too. Probably had 3-4 drinks there every night. One great thing happened that we did not expect, after we switched to the Premium package our 6-8 drinks we purchased on the first day miraculously disappeared from our folio the 3rd day :eek:. Don't know if that still happens but it did for us :D no-brainer...upgrade.

Edited by miataman19

Upgraded pre cruise and got sinus infection day before we left...regretted alot of things

Including all the premium alcohol i never consumed. :(

But i plan on upgrading onboard eq. In january to try out molecular bar

Dont know if the word Regret applies,,,,,,,,,,but I upgraded on the first day and after 3 days decided I wasnt getting value for money as I found the wines on the classic package were fine so downgraded again

I didn't know you could do that. People could just cancel when it works in their favor such as long port days.

The last time we were on Celebrity, we cruised with another couple on the Summit. We all purchased the Classic Package (not offered for free). I upgraded, and the husband of the other couple upgraded.

In December, we are all together again for a 16 day cruise on the Infinity with a FREE Classic Package. None of us are upgrading. All of us were quite happy with the standard martinis and cosmo's, and wines offered. And we had no trouble getting those items from any bartenders in the Martini Bar. We all agreed that paying the up-charge to get Premium was completely unnecessary for us. We mostly drink wine, but we're decidedly not wine snobs.

And we all can think of better ways to spend the $368/couple USD it would cost to upgrade for a 16 day cruise!

Edited by jkgourmet

Just curious....Has anyone upgraded to Premium from Classic and found that they could have done just fine with the Classic package?

I've had the drink package on a total of 4 sailings, one as part of a promo, and the other 3 paid. Upgraded the free one to Premium, and won't be doing so again. I'm not a martini drinker (only had one the entire 11 day sailing) and the Molecular bar with it's smoking, herb infused drinks wasn't my cup of tea. Give me simple Jack and Coke's and Heineken Light's, and I'm content beyond compare. ;)

Tony

We usually have the beverage package and always upgrade it. For our December cruise we are going try to stick with the Classic package. On our October cruise I only had a couple of drinks with alcohol in them during the entire cruise. I don't care which bottled water I get. Heck, I'm okay with the regular ship's water.

My husband does enjoy the better wines but even he is not that fussy and said he will find something he likes. He usually drinks beer during the day.

So, although we don't regret upgrading for the better beer and wine selection, we do it more for convenience rather than cost savings.

Edited by Jeal

Why do something and regret it later? Try out the classic package for a day or two, and see if it works for you.

If it doesn't work, you can upgrade.

If it works for you, then you saved money AND possible regrets :)

We plan on doing that for our first Celebrity cruise in May. We decided that we'll try the classic for a day or two, and if we have any trouble getting the drinks/wine we like, we'll just upgrade.

Someone mentioned with upgrade you get premium coffees from al bacio, are they not included on classic? This is so confusing!

We are going to get our first ever drinks package, 'free' with 123go promo, I am beyond excited but bit confused at same time!

We dont drink beer, cocktail or spirits, but we love fresh juice, premium teas etc, bottled water, and wine. Oh, and PORT! I keep asking is port wine included, and still not sure! We are not wine snobs, but hoping to get something drinkable within the $9 limit?

I was unaware than one could downgrade again, after upgrading. Has anyone else ever done this? I am very surprised to hear of it. I am asking because I am not a very big drinker, and when we booked our last cruise which came with the classic package, I called and meant to upgrade just DH to premium but without thinking upgraded myself as well (honest:D). I suspect I would be fine with the classic. As Elite+ I can get my fancy liquor free coffees as a perk, I have AQ so already get free regular bottled water which is fine with me, and probably couldn't tell an expensive glass of wine from a less expensive one. I know I could have called back and tried to fix it, but honestly I don't trust the Celebrity customer service enough to risk messing it up. If I can downgrade onboard, I think I may just do that.

For some people(like myself) it's more about quality. I can definitely taste the difference in my drinks of choice when it comes to the brand used.

For instance. My drink of choice is an Old Fashioned. Under the classic package I would get Makers Mark. Not the best quality but decent. Leaves a little bit of an after burn though. With the Premium I get Woodforde Reserve which leaves a sweeter taste.

With beers its more about the craft beers if they're available. The generic Budweiser/Coors Light etc. give me real bad heartburn. Craft beers for some reason don't.

With beers its more about the craft beers if they're available. The generic Budweiser/Coors Light etc. give me real bad heartburn. Craft beers for some reason don't.

That's because you're not drinking nasty swill:cool:

Edited by gsb