How many?

Boatingmom

Just wondering. Do you minimize or pack extra for carribean cruises? Seven days, two or three outfits a day, plus bathing suits and cover-ups, plus formal wear, shoes to match, travel clothes, sweater or light jacket, workout clothes...What's the number?

I follow the pull it all out and then put half of it back system. Same pants go with several tops, 2 bathing suits, and a dressy bottom with two dressy tops. Iight jacket for a chilly MDR that matches long pants, waterproof windbreaker, sandals and sneakers and one dressy pair of shoes. No need to pack books because I have a Kindle. That's enough for 7 days.

Good advice and minimize is the key! I don't do 7 days but if I did I would not bring my big suitcase. For a month, I take a 26" plus a small carry on, always amazes me the luggage I see! Whoa!

When I think of the clothes I took on my early cruises in the 80s, downright scary! :)

Enjoy!

I take a lot of clothes just because I can. Since we drive to the port I take a full size suitcase and 2 smaller ones. On the last cruise I took 5 bathing suits, 3 dresses (and matching shoes) slacks plus 4 nice tops. 4 pairs of shorts and 7 tops. Our shoes almost took up a whole bag.

My DH likes to dress up so he takes a suit, sports coat plus slacks, several button up shirts, 1 pair of dress shoes, a few bathing suits , 3 or 4 shorts and 3 or 4 T shirts

We also take a week's worth of diet Dr Pepper and a small cooler for extra ice.

And since we're talking about Princess, I now also have to bring shampoo, conditioner and my own pillow

Minimize! I can do 7 days (cruise or land vacation) in a carryon and personal item. I'd do that even if I was driving to the port rather than flying. We are going to Europe for 3 weeks in May and I'm going to try to do that in just a carryon. :eek: Not sure if I will be able to that though.

Minimize if you are flying to the port

in a 21" carry-on ea

I take 3 pr slacks for day time

3 pr for night time (dressy)

3-4 tops for day

3-4 for night (dressier)

swimsuit + coverup

3 pr shoes

1-2 pr shorts

hat

pashmina

same for DH except the shoes he takes 1 pr sandals, 1pr dress shoes wears his walkers

I pack them all then take out anything that does not fit or goes over the weight limit

some stuff you really do not need :D

Just wondering. Do you minimize or pack extra for carribean cruises? Seven days, two or three outfits a day, plus bathing suits and cover-ups, plus formal wear, shoes to match, travel clothes, sweater or light jacket, workout clothes...What's the number?

two or three outfits a DAY?! why the hell would I do that?! I don't do that at home or on land vacations, why would I do it at sea?!

I choose clothes that transition from day/shore to evening for all but formal nights. so for me that's sundresses and linen slacks or gauze skirts with tops that can be worn with multiple bottoms.

I bring 3 pairs of shoes: casual sandals, formal dress shoes and a pair of walking shoes. I choose to not 'work out' . DH does so he adds a pair of sneakers

currently I only own one bathing suit but since I only soak in the hot tubs once or twice, that's all I need.

One light weight cover up in a neutral that can be worn with anything

The same outfit I wear the day before when we fly in( or the day we embark if driving) is the same outfit I wear off at the end

ONE dress for formal night( or if I am feeling particularly lazy, one pair of palazzo pants with 2 different tops) with different accessories for each night

for the two of us, 7 days, we have one full size bag and one garment bag. this includes his Dinner Mess Dress Uniform and the kilt for his formal wear. ( he has more baubles and accessories than I do)

DH brings three pairs of slacks in neutrals( black, khaki and either grey or navy blue) and a variety of polo shirts or button down shirts that will go with at least 2 of the bottoms. two pairs of gym shorts and tee shirts. he wears on board his bulkiest casual shoes, packs a pair of loafers, a pair of sandals, his sneakers and his uniform shoes. he will also bring a few pairs of tailored/golf shorts.

Minimize! Agree with the pack and then take out half method :). I also read somewhere about the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method and liked that philosophy.

For my upcoming 10-day Caribbean cruise I am taking:

5 tops (3 solids and 2 florals)

2 capris

1 black sequined skirt (I think - still debating)

2 casual but nice dresses

2 light sweaters (one white bat-wing and one black bolero)

4 shoes (Tevas, 2 sandals, one platform) - might cut out a sandal.

2 swimsuits

one shirt-style cover-up

one sarong cover-up

one pair of shorts

one pair of socks

one pashmina

one spring jacket

all the tops and bottoms, sweaters and dresses go together - so a lot of mix and match possibilities. I don't do "formal" formal nights, but would not feel out of place in my outfits if I decided to participate.

I start in far northern MN so need to keep warm for a few hours :D while flying. I layer on various items from the above list and peel it off as I get farther south. I WISH that I could narrow it down to one carry on suitcase, but bringing my own snorkel gear prevents that.

What ever 50lbs will get me! Airline regulations always rule my decisions!

For about $20, you can get a compact digital hanging scale at REI. Take one "checked" suitcase and fill it with whatever. Weigh it. If it's over 50 lbs., remove stuff until you are under 50 lbs.

In this contemporary age of air travel, the concept of "formal night" on a cruise ship is a dinosaur. Wasted luggage weight and space. Save the tux for a charity fundraiser and try cruise lines that focus on "country club casual" for dining.

I learned how to pack lightly from my husband (who travels internationally for business) early on in our marriage. How much can I take with me to any particular destination/s? Whatever *I* can carry!

We took a three week trip to Europe that was half business then half pleasure. I was "allowed" to bring one suitcase and one carry-on -- in other words, I could bring whatever I wanted, as long as I could manage it through multiple airports!

Another time we went to Hawaii for a week's vacation, then flew to Taipei to visit relatives, then on to Japan for business. That's a tropical climate followed by a temperate climate followed by a cold climate! (November) All of my clothing/shoes had to fit in one suitcase plus one carry-on. It CAN be done!

I take black velvet pants and two black velvet tops and I'm good to go for formal night. Long halter top dresses are comfortable for the day and a shrug for evening makes them suitable for the MDR with a nice necklace. Two bathing suits are plenty -- no one notices if you have two suits or five suits -- same with cover ups. Sneakers, dressy flats for formal night and sandals takes care of footwear.

I make up small, small containers of moisturizer, etc. etc. etc.

It is so relaxing not to be dragging lots of suitcases with us -- and we travel by car! We don't give our bags to the porter at the ship -- we walk right on with our bags and don't have to wait (or worry!) for anything! Minimize!

MINIMIZE!! You do not need several outfits for each day. I stick to a simple color scheme with mix and match tops and bottoms.

That is what I do. Different tops & bottoms can be combined differently to be worn more than once.

We each take a carry-on size suit case. They fit through the x-ray scanner. We have done a 14 day cruise with these and B2Bs- 7 & 8 days. I do the laundry on the day of the 2nd cruise, I put on a bathing suit in the morning, wear a cover up and don't take it off til I dress for dinner. If we go ashore it is under my shorts. I only take sandals, white & black heels. My husband rarely takes more than 3 pairs of pants and his suit. (He no longer takes his tux.) Who is going to realize he wore those pants 2 or 3 nights ago? But we still may bring home something we didn't wear!

I'm sorry, but if I spend all the money for a cruise I am not going to worry about luggage fees. We usually take 3 large suitcases, 2 hang-up bags and two carry-ons. One suitcase holds two cases of ginger ale, two noodles and all our snorkel gear. The rest are for clothing and misc. items

ON our last cruise I actually had not one person, but two people ask us if the luggage was all ours????? I really had a mind to tell them that no they weren't our suitcases we just picked up any case we felt like. (moron!) The one lady said "I'm not trying to be rude". You aren't??????

If you are going to a place like the Caribbean or the south pacific three outfits a day is the norm. Unless you are going to eat in your pj's. Think about it. You get up and get breakfast then go back to change because most things involve a swimsuit and cover-up, then later you change for dinner or at least don't stay in your suit in the dining room. So yep three outfits.. We usually pack the same amount if its a 14, 21 or 30 day cruise which to date is our longest. We also sign up for unlimited laundry and generally have about a bag of laundry a day.

One last thing I do own one black top that can be worn, but who wants to wear black on a cruise???? A funeral, ok, but I want bright and happy colors! I am not in mourning! I have about 4 - 5 nice long dresses that I tend to bring for dinner, because sometimes even if its not formal I still like to dress. Dh has one tux and two suits plus a number of collared shirts and Dockers he wears.

Just remember there is no right or wrong way to pack. Its up to you what you want to bring or what you want to leave at home.

Normally take the same amount of clothing regardless of the length of the cruise - 7 or 14 days.

Have found that in the Caribbean tops get pretty sweaty! Often do not wear more than once and always shower and change for dinner. I tend to look for very lightweight dry-weave type fabrics that I can wash and hang in shower, if necessary.

Use the wash/fold bag midweek or around the 10-day mark for undies, nightclothes, etc. Have used regular laundry/dry cleaning if needed.

One thing no one has ever been able to answer - for those of you that travel with just a carry-on - how do you manage your toiletries? I definitely need much more than 3 oz. of suntan lotion, as an example; use provided shampoo/soap, but still need hairspray, etc. Obviously referring to people who fly to the port and say they just have a carry-on. Do you shop once you get to the port?

For about $20, you can get a compact digital hanging scale at REI. Take one "checked" suitcase and fill it with whatever. Weigh it. If it's over 50 lbs., remove stuff until you are under 50 lbs.

In this contemporary age of air travel, the concept of "formal night" on a cruise ship is a dinosaur. Wasted luggage weight and space. Save the tux for a charity fundraiser and try cruise lines that focus on "country club casual" for dining.

Wow, but what if I like wearing a tux? Each of us are different and have different expectations to enjoy our vacation. What is wasted for you is likely a necessity for me. I'm different than you, that's all.

What we don't bring is a lot of stuff that other folks need for their vacation like duct tape, bungee cords, extension cords, clocks, mini coffee pots and so on. But that is us.

It's kind of funny, we have been cruising for almost 20 years now and also do a lot of land vacations. We pack more for a Carribbean cruise vacations than any other vacation. Even though we took clothes for layering on our Alaska cruise, it was still less than the Caribbean cruises. Go figure.

We pack the least for two week beach vacations in Hawaii.

We love to travel and we pack just enough to meet the requirements of our experiences.

Burt

Minimize!

Aside from formal/elegant nights, I usually change for dinner into a top that I then wear the next day (or later in the cruise) with jeans/shorts. Almost everything I pack gets worn at least twice, and who cares? No one.

Everyone who would care is too busy worrying about their own clothes to notice what anyone else is wearing, unless it's over-the-top dreadful, gorgeous, or outrageous.

Even with formal clothing - cocktail dress(es) for me, suit, etc. for hubby - we've never had suitcases weigh more than 50 lbs.