What would you have done?

Trumpetplyr

What would you do if you saw a young teen throw one of the large chess pieces overboard?

Yes, this did happen and I did witness it. LOL I did do something but now question if that's how I should have handled it.

Report the kid immediately. Now the question is, what did you do and why are you second guessing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely report him.

Not only is it wrong for him to have done that, but people may have seen "something" go overboard. It wouldn't be a stretch for those reports to have possibly triggered an unnecessary "man overboard" search.

I would not hesitate to report it. If my wife happened to have her camera with her at the time, I would have suggested that she take a picture of the kid just in case it was needed when we reported him.

Did anyone else witness it?

And how did you handle it? Just wondering since you are second guessing yourself.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Several years ago, I was sitting on my aft balcony at about 1am star gazing.

I noticed something flying through the air.

Turned out it was several guys on Deck 10 using the plates for Frisbees.

I called CS.

The next day, CS called to let me know they caught the guys. Didn't say if there were any repercussions and I didn't ask.

It needs to be reported. Not only is it disgraceful, but the plastic poses serious environmental hazards for marine life. Under law ANYTHING inorganic that goes overboard MUST have an environmental incident report filed... I hope you reported this to security?

Additionally, as others mentioned, this could have triggered a man overboard scare which would cost Time, money, delay of trip, stress on crew and passengers, all because of an ignorant kid! I hope he was reported and the fine for deliberately throwing stuff overboard charged to them!

I absolutely would have reported the kid. First of all, he just polluted the ocean. What if a marine animal tries to eat the chess piece? Plus, it is annoying to the other passengers that want to play chess. I hope that kid and his parents were somehow held accountable.

I would not hesitate to report it. If my wife happened to have her camera with her at the time, I would have suggested that she take a picture of the kid just in case it was needed when we reported him.

Did anyone else witness it?

And how did you handle it? Just wondering since you are second guessing yourself.

Agree about a picture of the youth if possible.

How close was security? I can't imagine wanting to report it if a security person wasn't nearby. Does the witness have to leave the scene to report it? To have people say to report it, it might not have been that simple:eek:

I assume the OP will be back with further information.

What would you do if you saw a young teen throw one of the large chess pieces overboard?

Yes, this did happen and I did witness it. LOL I did do something but now question if that's how I should have handled it.

It's a proven fact that the teenage brain is not fully developed, therefore necessitating the need from those with developed brains to help reinforce proper behaviors.

Therefore, incidents like this should always be reported to the proper authorities, so that the teen can be duly reprimanded and the parents or legal guardians informed as to their improper behavior, giving them an opportunity to excise their own form of punishment.

Furthermore, once the incident has been substantiated and verified by security, a charge to the sign and sail account shall be made equal to the amount of loss or damage. Unfortunately, most people don't really learn from their bad behaviors unless there is a monetary amount attached to it.

I would have reported it. On the Conquest in August, we were sunbathing on the deck above the aft pool when a golf ball came whizzing by my head. My husband was so mad. He went up to the golf course. A couple of girls were there they said it was a bunch of boys, security was called the girls were questioned, then we had a conversation with the head of security. Nothing came of it. Someone could have really been hurt.

I think the teacher in me would have come out. I would have scolded the kid for doing what he did, told him/her how dangerous their actions were and then asked them where their parents were. I would also report it to security/guest services.

Eleven Ways to Get Booted Off a Ship

One of them is throwing things off the ship.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1554

It's doubtful the OP did anything as they would have said from the get go what they did. I don't play guessing games well.

A string along thread. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I'm afraid the mom in me would come out & I would have that kid by the ear, taking him to security. I was told many years ago that where the ear goes, the body must follow.

I hope in real life you would suppress your Mommy Rambo instincts and just report the kid to security. You wouldn't want to be thrown off the ship too for committing battery against the little one.

I hope in real life you would suppress your Mommy Rambo instincts and just report the kid to security. You wouldn't want to be thrown off the ship too for committing battery against the little one.

Yes, I am not going to confront junior because the parents could go off on me. I'll just report it to security and let them earn their pay check.

someone actually said... snitches get stitches ....lol , this cc group is tough...dmdiver is not afraid though.

It seems like the op did not turn them in to security, probably took them to their parents.

Perhaps the OP did not want the family to be thrown off the ship bc of their teens bad behavior?

I was mortified to find out my teens and others were riding luggage carts up and down hallways at night on a Holland ship, thank heaven we were not kicked off the ship.

I too, would not hesitate to report that heathen. He's probably on his way down to Guest Services to complain that there wasn't a complete set of chess pieces, so he couldn't play, and he demands an OBC to make up for his inconvenience. WOW, the nerve of some peoples kids! :mad:

"SKY"